13 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 06:20 PM

Seen one advertised on Facebook. Was asking $275 for it. Went and looked it over this evening and seen right off it was not $275 RAM. We talked about I for a bit and he is a Ford man. Had 2 or 3 Ford GTt's. Told him I had on in the shed that I used for spraying only and told him about it. We decided we would trade straight across but he had to talk to his wife first. They were needing money so she said no trade no, take cash only. So we cut another deal. I gave him $150 for the RAM and when he get ahead a little and scrap prices come back he will buy my Ford for $150. No a complete unit but enough there it is a good project and will give me some fabrication practice. Only thing I am not sure on is that big Yoke on the back sitting cross wise? ?

RAM-1.JPG RAM-2.JPG RAM-3.JPG

RAM-4.JPG RAM-5.JPG RAM-6.JPG

Then he mentioned he had a couple of big Ag tires that would fit on the RAM. We went and looked at them and bought them for $25, rims and all.
2AG Tires.JPG

The serial number on the tractor is 44225 The model is 231 01 023 01. It is missing some parts, like the shroud, air cleaner system, belt cover and possibly some other items. Haven't really went over it all yet.

Best part of the whole deal, if he follows through on getting my Ford is I got that Ford about 5 years ago, traded a 12 pack of Bud Light for it and he pushed it on my trailer. How can one go wrong on a deal like that? ?

Edited by chieffan, April 22, 2015 - 06:31 PM.

• Gtractor, OldBuzzard, tinbender7 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 06:24 PM

NICE FIND and for a great price!  :thumbs: 

Edited by Gtractor, April 22, 2015 - 06:30 PM.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 06:32 PM

If the deck is complete and solid I'd say you did ok

The piece on the back is the Bolens hitch that adapted to the cart, roller and other various equipment.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 06:49 PM

Not a bad deal on a 1960!   That is the one of the two years i am missing. 

• chieffan said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 07:30 PM

AS far as I can tell the deck is complete except one blade is missing. Didn't figure it would be problem find a retro fit. Will start looking for a couple parts, like the air cleaner. The par attached to the carb is there but nothing below that. The shroud and shield I can fabricate. Question on the shroud; is there anything inside the shroud to direct more air flow to the head than across the to left side? Would think the most air would need to goo across the head.
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 07:45 PM

And I heard a whole puddle of drool hit the floor in Michigan.

Ben W.

• tinbender7, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#7 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 07:46 PM

AS far as I can tell the deck is complete except one blade is missing. Didn't figure it would be problem find a retro fit. Will start looking for a couple parts, like the air cleaner. The par attached to the carb is there but nothing below that. The shroud and shield I can fabricate. Question on the shroud; is there anything inside the shroud to direct more air flow to the head than across the to left side? Would think the most air would need to goo across the head.

I would get a hold of member gunstuff1000 I bet he has some parts you need he is the go to guy for RAM stuff. 

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 08:28 PM

And I heard a whole puddle of drool hit the floor in Michigan.

Ben W.

If he wants to go for a drive by way of St. Louis and pick up a G16 for me I might be talked into a trade !

#9 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 08:30 PM

If he wants to go for a drive by way of St. Louis and pick up a G16 for me I might be talked into a trade !

G16?

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 08:32 PM

If the deck is complete and solid I'd say you did ok

The piece on the back is the Bolens hitch that adapted to the cart, roller and other various equipment.

I take it that U shaped piece is supposed to turn free, then. The control pivot must be the part that raises and lowers rear mounted equipment?

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 08:38 PM

G16?

That is what is on the hood, G16 Xl. Is on CL for the St. Louis area. Owner said it needs carb work, has attachments like sleeve hitch with electric winch, disc, etc. Replaced it and just wants rid of it. $125 but 800 miles round trip for me.

#12 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 08:39 PM

That is what is on the hood, G16 Xl. Is on CL for the St. Louis area. Owner said it needs carb work, has attachments like sleeve hitch with electric winch, disc, etc. Replaced it and just wants rid of it. $125 but 800 miles round trip for me.

I forgot about the G16XL i was thinking tube frame. 

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 08:46 PM

I forgot about the G16XL i was thinking tube frame.

Owner is not real speedy on reply's. Took 5 days to find out if he still had the machine. Will take another week to answer my questions -if he does.

http://stlouis.craig...4895511493.html

Edited by chieffan, April 22, 2015 - 08:52 PM.

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 07:55 PM

UPDATE: Talked to the owner this evening and bought the G16XL. Going down Saturday after it. Taking rain here from tonight through Friday night so my neighbor will go if we get the rain. Otherwise will take the finance officer along for company. Kind of anxious to see how he mounted an electric winch in back of the seat to raise and lower the sleeve hitch. Would be slow but effortless. If all fails I can get my $$ back out of the sleeve hitch and winch. Part the tractor out for my gas money. Another project to work on. Re-pack the wheels bearings in the trailer tomorrow. Haven't done that for a few years so better do it before this trip.