• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigblue OFFLINE  

bigblue
  • Member No: 59019
  • 5 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 12:14 PM

Has anyone had any problems with their 42" aluminum deck not wanting to lift properly? The lifting mechanism on mine has a lot of play in it, causing it to bind when pulled up by the lift handle (since the "eye hook," connecting the lift handle to the deck, only attaches to one side of the lifting mechanism). I added some washers in a few spots to try to take some of the play out, but the mechanism seems too stiff then and still wont lift. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 09:41 AM

The scissor lift carriage that holds the mower deck has brass bushings between the rods and frame. These wear out over time and allow slop in the assembly. Once the bushings go, the two steel parts start to wear on each other and it gets worse fast. I don't know about the aluminum deck, but the steel deck is heavy - that's a lot of weight on a few small contact points, especially with the bouncing around and all...

I ran into the same type of thing with my closed side LGT165 - but mine wasn't binding, just a lot of slop. I fixed it when I did my refurbish back in 2013, which is documented on here. Go to my original post of March 6th, 2013 titled "Ford Closed side Refurbish pictures" - on page 2 of the post it describes (and shows) what I did. I made my own bushings, but you may be able to adapt some pre-made ones - it should be a pretty standard size.... No idea if they are available from the OEM....
  • KennyP said thank you

#3 bigblue OFFLINE  

bigblue
  • 5 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 08:31 AM

That sounds like a good possibility. Does anyone know where to find a parts breakdown for this deck? The manual in the manuals section only has parts descriptions if I remember right. Its missing the diagram page.

• KennyP said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 09:18 AM

That sounds like a good possibility. Does anyone know where to find a parts breakdown for this deck? The manual in the manuals section only has parts descriptions if I remember right. Its missing the diagram page.

Try this manual.

#5 bigblue OFFLINE  

bigblue
  • 5 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 04:18 PM

Thanks. That's a big help!