• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gtLeakey OFFLINE  

gtLeakey
  • Member No: 49454
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 08:30 PM

I have a John Deere 265 with a Kawasaki FC540V - DS00 engine.  After sitting all winter it was very hard to get started.  Kept backfiring.  Put in a new spark plug and finally got her started.  Mowed for about an hour shut it off and called it a day.  Next day same thing only backfired and would not start.  Checked the valve clearance and it was off.  Adjusted to .006 both exhaust and intake.  It started up  with just a couple of revolutions.  Great I thought. Shut it off and restarted several times.  Then shut it off and changed oil and all the filters.  Tried to restart and again only backfiring.  Rechecked valve clearance and it is still in spec.  Took flywheel off and check the key and key way.  Both OK.  Tried to start again and just real bad backfiring,  Does anyone have any ideas?.  I am thinking of taking head off and checking valves!

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 09:05 PM

Welcome to GTT. I know the FD 590 has an electronic ignition control located on the left rear of the ending.  Yours may have the same. 

• gtLeakey said thank you

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,993 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 01:17 AM

welcome to GTT. have you also controlled the gasoline? if you need a manual for the Kawa, you'll find it here

Edited by jd.rasentrac, April 22, 2015 - 02:33 AM.

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 05:38 AM

Bad fuel. Wrong spark plug. Dirty carb. Sounds like a fuel problem to me. Just some ideas, Noel.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 07:05 AM

You might also want to have a look at your wiring harness and check for loose wires, bad connections etc. That includes the chassis connections back to the battery - terminal.

#6 gtLeakey OFFLINE  

gtLeakey
  • Member No: 49454
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the information on the Kawasaki engine.  When I first started the engine I put seafoam in the fuel tank and ran it for a hour or so until the tank became empty.Then I put in fresh fuel and it started right up.  I then ran it for another hour before shutting it off.  As many of you suggest a fuel problem I will take the carb. off clean and rebuild with new kit.  Wish me luck !

• propane1 said thank you