9 replies to this topic

#1 TimM OFFLINE  

TimM
  • Member No: 69788
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 05:35 PM

Hi all,

I have a Scotts S2048 (made by John Deere with Kohler 20HP engine).  Getting it out of winter this year the engine wouldn't crank.

Figured a dead battery and replaced it. Same problem. Jumped with car battery, engine finally turned over started, but then died (hard stall is a better description).

Read up on common issues - ensured tranny is disconnected and drive belt free to turn, looked for frozen lifters (hydraulic), even pulled the spark plugs to try cranking. Still, engine will not turn (starter engages, makes a belt squeak noise, but no rotation of the crank shaft). 

At this point I am assuming the worst, that a rod or crank bearing has seized; but before tossing the engine or replacing the engine was wondering if anyone has any other idea of a simple issue.

Thanks...

Tim

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 05:38 PM

Could the bearing be seized in your electrical PTO? I have seen this happen a number of times and the engine acts the same as you describe.

• superaben and Auburn David have said thanks

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 05:59 PM

see if you can rotate the engine by hand with the plugs out.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 07:45 PM

Could the bearing be seized in your electrical PTO? I have seen this happen a number of times and the engine acts the same as you describe.

Seconded!

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000 and Auburn David have said thanks

#5 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 08:25 PM

Seconded!

Ben W.

Your just sucking up to ADMIN Ben!(runs and hides)

• superaben said thank you

#6 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 08:33 PM

Mouse nest ......Last spring my BIL called asking if I'd come look at his mower saying it appeared to be locked up , he also said it was fine when he parked it the previous fall after mowing season was over . And it actually started once but stalled and then wouldn't even turn over .

I found that he had a mouse nest in the flywheel shroud and some of the mouse bedding got between the starter gear and flywheel ring gear and locked it up solid.....He also thought he had a seized bearing till I came down and evicted the mouse nest . Its a common thing to find especially if the mowers sat in  a garage all winter not used .

Edited by Jlaws, April 21, 2015 - 09:08 PM.

#7 TimM OFFLINE  

TimM
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for the ideas.

I'll pull a shroud and look for nest trappings -- one wouldn't think that would stop the thing, but since I have found nests up in my Escape engine, it's worth a look.   I'll also try pulling it through with a 24" wrench just to rule out a bad starter motor.

Also, PTO belt is off, and drive belt is loose. Engine is pretty much free to spin if it wants to.

A side note, the PTO alignment bracket has bent some - no broken welds, just bent framework.  Too many years of abuse.  I may try to encourage it back into a more perpendicular angle if I get the engine running. 

#8 TimM OFFLINE  

TimM
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 10:55 PM

Okay - just checked - no mice.  Should have remembered not seeing any debris when I pulled the starter to look for a broken engagement spring.  Also, I had pulled the valve covers to check valve springs, and they felt okay (no loose rockers, valve stems or spring retainers).

I tried wrenching the engine over. It rotates freely about 1/4" inch at the end of a 8" socket handle, free between hard stops.   Holding a 14 awg wire into one cylinder (fuel pump side),  I can feel that piston move back and forth as I rotate the crank that 1/4" inch.  The other cylinder the piston feels rock solid - no movement whatsoever.  The fact there is play, and one piston feels stuck, narrows the problem down a bit.  So far, symptoms match a dry cylinder that led to a seized piston that probably damaged a rod bearing or wrist pin.  Or worse.  

Now I need to decide to play Major Mechanic or start getting quotes for a rebuild.  A new replacement Commander was looking like $1500 or more. And $600 to $800 for the non-commercial 20HP version.  Not sure the tractor is worth it - it is well used, close to 20 years on.  Major deck repairs a couple years ago ... transmission will probably fail next, though it is the tough 5 lug version.

Curiosity may force me to pull that head and cylinder and have a closer look... I'll report back if I do that.

Sigh ...

Edited by TimM, April 21, 2015 - 11:11 PM.

#9 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 07:21 AM

:welcometogttalk: Never hurts to pull it apart and have a "look see".

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 07:40 PM

Your just sucking up to ADMIN Ben!(runs and hides)

You better run faster than that next time. 

Ben W. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kohler, crank, start, s2048