9 replies to this topic

#1 talex OFFLINE  

talex
  • Member No: 69782
  • 12 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 03:28 PM

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some help deciding on 990.

What I have is some recreational land I want the machine for so mowing, moving material, maintaining trails, food plots, maybe some gardening - stuff like that.

I have a Deere 318 that probably could do that stuff but it could probably use a re-power and deck work - and it seems collectors have driven the price of attachments so high it's just not feasible to use that.

I was told to look at the older 990's as an alternative but know nothng about them.

Right now after looking I could get the following which might work?:

4 (yes 4) - 1970's 990's. 2 look decent, 2 a bit rough. The attachments would be: Snow Blower, Snow blade, Tiller, 2. maybe 3 of the 4 have 3pt hitches, mower deck and 1 has what looks like a solid home made loader on it. 2 are described as follows: 16HP - Hi / Low Hydrostatic drive with Hydraulic 3 pt hitch - I don't think the other 2 mention the hydro stuff.

I have never seen a 990 in person and I only know the 318 and from reading it appears these are similar in size and weight, I would have to travel out of state to pick all this up.

There are 2 seperate sellers - 1 has the nicer looking ones with all attachments except the one with the loader and the other seller has the rougher looking ones with hydro descripton above and the loader.

I know having 4 should keep me covered for parts but I have no idea what these are worth ball park and what to look for on these machines other than do they run and do they smoke.

Any thouhgts, opinions or advise greatly appreciated.

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 04:05 PM

Welcome to GTT. The 990s have a good reputation. Look at the manuals in our Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day).

Your question is very compicated by: not knowing anything about the conditions of the GTs, the local markets, and your mechanical abilities. My gut reaction is that you may be way better off by slowing down and do alot more shopping around. Different GTs fit different size people. Some systems may be anoying to some people. I think that you need to try out a bunch of different machines before diving into a particular model.

They can be very helpful around the yard but the wrong ones can be a pain. Look at nearby possibilities and post pictures with questions. We will try to help when we have enough info. Good Luck, Rick

Look at what was popular in your area. I have Allis Chalmers/Simplicities and Bolens because they were very popular in my area 30 to 50 years ago. I've found many tractors and attachments for good prices near home. You may even still have a dealer in your area for a particular brand.

Edited by boyscout862, April 21, 2015 - 04:10 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 talex OFFLINE  

talex
  • 12 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 04:46 PM

Welcome to GTT. The 990s have a good reputation. Look at the manuals in our Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day).

Your question is very compicated by: not knowing anything about the conditions of the GTs, the local markets, and your mechanical abilities. My gut reaction is that you may be way better off by slowing down and do alot more shopping around. Different GTs fit different size people. Some systems may be anoying to some people. I think that you need to try out a bunch of different machines before diving into a particular model.

They can be very helpful around the yard but the wrong ones can be a pain. Look at nearby possibilities and post pictures with questions. We will try to help when we have enough info. Good Luck, Rick

Look at what was popular in your area. I have Allis Chalmers/Simplicities and Bolens because they were very popular in my area 30 to 50 years ago. I've found many tractors and attachments for good prices near home. You may even still have a dealer in your area for a particular brand.

Thanks Rick,

I know popular around here are John Deere's - they were made locally, there are lots of them for sale but they are extremely pricey, to say get an older one going good with a loader you could almost buy a new one because there are so many collectors, you can find deals on Deere 200 series but anything with hydraulics is way to expensive. I see the occasional Bolens or Case tractors here and there - usually with out much for attachments and other than 3pt 99% of attachments are Deere  - a loader for my 318 would cost nearly twice as much as the 318 itself... I am not so worried about personal preference as I am sure whatever I do get I would get used to as I have not owned to many. The forum will not let me upload images (maybe because I am new still) but I describe them pretty well - the 2 nicer ones show some rust but nothing to horrible, the 2 not so nice look like they have been sitting around awhile, 1 has a tire off the rim (but it has the loader on it)... I have no idea how to estimate value on these. There is one completely refurbed one the guy is asking $1,600 for....

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 05:05 PM

First of all welcome to GTtalk glad to have you aboard. Plenty of fine folks on here that love a challenge & pics!

Sounds like a 990 mother load. I just rebuilt one, they are one of my favorite tractors. One problem with these they are so reliable & hard workers most are worn out when sold. Anything can be fixed but at what cost & time frame do you have to have a good runner. The biggest problem with these some have a hole in the side of the frame near the brake pads. This hole is a weak point & will cause the frame to break. Three bolt front spindles are on some, these have ball bearings versus the sleeve bearings that have the single spindle. All 990's are Hydro the 960's are manual. The 990's came in a lot of different colors & badges but same tractor. Most have the plastic dash pretty much destroyed because of the stress & alignment  between the front grill, hood & dash. The B&S engines are bullet proof & parts are still out there.

Most runners will bring between $300.-$400. Most attachments I have seen are around the $125.-$175. range with the exception of the tiller it usually is around $200 +  I would do some shopping before I dove into a package deal unless you can get it all for a good price.  If at least one of these is a good runner right out of the chute then I would haggle a deal for the package. You could always sell some of the attachments or parts to offset your costs.

Bolens is another I would recommend. They can be had for a good price & attachments are easy to find.  

Here is my rebuild if you want to take a peak...rather long but you can hop around & check out some of the other 990 threads.

http://gardentractor...d-up-a-mtd-990/

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 05:10 PM

You need to hear from KennyP. He has a 990 and instructions on how to post pics.

Another thought. In my area, a 40 to 50 year old full size farm tractor with an FEL is often less expensive than a GT with an FEL.

If you are willing to do the work yourself, the older GTs are a great way to go. If you have to pay someone else to do the mechanical work it will get very expensive. To most of us, this is a hobby. We work on our machines so that we can work them. Seat time is relaxing, fun, and the reward for carinf got the GTs. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP, Sawdust and talex have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 10:27 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum. Pic help is in the link in my signature.

You need to hear from KennyP. He has a 990 and instructions on how to post pics.

Another thought. In my area, a 40 to 50 year old full size farm tractor with an FEL is often less expensive than a GT with an FEL.

If you are willing to do the work yourself, the older GTs are a great way to go. If you have to pay someone else to do the mechanical work it will get very expensive. To most of us, this is a hobby. We work on our machines so that we can work them. Seat time is relaxing, fun, and the reward for carinf got the GTs. Good Luck, Rick

Rick, I don't have a 990. Several other members have them.

• boyscout862 and talex have said thanks

#7 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 10:34 AM

Welcome to the MTD forum Talex. The 990 is a machine capable of doing your listed tasks. They are time consuming and sometimes frustrating to keep running. If you find a good starting and running 990, it is fun to use and can accomplish a lot of work. These are very different from you JD 318, much heavier. Your package would include all of the most common implements.

If you find one with a fel, they are not very common. It would need substantial rear wheel counter weights and chains for traction. They are also hard steering when loaded, no power steering.

If the mower deck needs work, like bearings or blade adapters, they are available. The complete blade shaft assemblies are no longer available. 

The midwest area has attachments for the 990 on Ebay and CL pop up every so often. It can use cat-0 three point implements and cat-1 if you modify the distance between the pins to about 12".

Common problems are the carburetor, steering gears and linkage worn, front wheel bushings or bearings depending on model year, lift cylinder leak.

A parts machine is great to have if you want to keep one or two in good repair. Good for trading also.

My cheapest machine was $125 for a 73 for parts with a 50" front blade and junk 42" deck. $225 for a non running 80'. The 78' was $200 not running w/3pt. The good running 81 Wizard was $550 with a good deck and 50" front blade, chains and weights and 3pt. All had the original rear tires.  My new original 1980 was $2100 with a 50" deck and 3pt.

Edited by VTXrider, April 22, 2015 - 10:46 AM.

• boyscout862, Sawdust and talex have said thanks

#8 talex OFFLINE  

talex
  • 12 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 01:03 PM

Thanks guys - for all 4 I would be looking at about $2,100 - from what I am reading that would probably be to much to pay - the one with the loader looks the roughest of them all - but hey it has a loader - the one with the loader and the second one which looks rough but runs would cost me $600, the other 2 which run 1 of which looks nice and that come with all the other implements the guy wants $1,500 firm for...

I did pick up a Bolens GT2000 with a front end loader on it but she needs some work so that will be the winter project, I need something I can use over the summer still.

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 talex OFFLINE  

talex
  • 12 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 01:16 PM

I think I figured out the images thing  - here are some images of the 990's and one of the Bolens I picked up. The first 3 images would run me $600, the second 3 he wants $1,500 for both + attachments.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 1.png
  • 2.png
  • 3.png
  • 5.png
  • 4.jpg

Edited by talex, April 23, 2015 - 01:17 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#10 1oldbuzz ONLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 257 Thanks
  • 249 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 01:26 AM

Just a heads up

the 990 with loader-the loader is/has been cut down modified to fit from a full size tractor.

You should also go back and look closer at his pics,there looks to be a lot of misused

and abused stuff in the backround.I'm sure these will need more than just points and carb cleaning.

I am also guessing they have been used hard

The listing is almost a month old they should have sold by now.

any 990 that's decent is sold in 3 days

Also the bolens you have with loader should do everything you want to do just as well as a 990

get that one up and running and you should be good to go

• Sawdust said thank you