• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 08:41 AM

Well, I had to investigate why the tines stopped spinning on the other tiller. The guy that sold me the tractor gave me an extra gear box along with the tiller that was attached to the machine. The spare gear box has very little slack in the chains, but the one on the machine had quite a bit of slack. I tried the tiller out anyway, and the tines stopped spinning shortly after I started. I just disassembled the tiller and found that the chain that drives the tines was off of the tine shaft sprocket. It looks like I just have to pick up a couple of new chains since mine are most likely stretched. The sprockets look in good shape and nothing is broken. I'll reassemble the tiller parts on the other gear box, and rebuild the other box when I can get to it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150526_092100-1.jpg

Edited by classic, May 26, 2015 - 08:42 AM.

• MH81, KennyP, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#32 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,202 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 03:56 PM

Classic, can you take a pic of the back of the tractor with the sleeve hitch on it? or just the sleeve hitch. I just bought  a B10 and would like to make a sleeve hitch for it.  Thanks in advance, Tom

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#33 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 05:48 PM

Tom, I'm not home at the moment, but I'm sure I have an original sleeve hitch in nice shape you can have. Send me a pic of the back of your tractor and I'll see what parts you are missing.
  • TomLGT195, Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#34 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • Member No: 21308
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 06:26 PM

Nice plow job, knew the Allis Chalmers would handle the task.

I plowed plenty with an 8 hp. As mentioned, front weights.

My new Bee 10 is now re-powered with a one cylinder, cast, 16 hp Briggs.

Lovin' the grader blade, handles my gravel drives without a grunt.

B10-Lights.jpg

• Sawdust, classic and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#35 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 08:00 PM

Nice looking job on the garden Jim. It feels good when you see your efforts pay off.

This has also been an interesting story about the old plow & thanks to all for posting the info. I love the research behind these old relics.

The B1 is awesome & eager looking to work.
  • classic and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#36 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 12:19 AM

I have a 16 horse in an Allis Big Ten Tankman, and I plowed and hauled firewood during the winter with it. You're right, they don't grunt much at all with those engines in them. I finally picked up a grader blade for my 64 Landlord and it does a great job on the driveway. I watched your video of you grading your driveway, thanks for posting that and nice job!
I enjoy researching the history of the old equipment and the history of the area around me. There are old bottle dumps scattered around and can be fun to dig. Here's a pic of a Mason jar and an old blob top Spatz Brothers bottle from the bottling company that was here in town long ago. I found the bottle dump last summer and dug there for hours with my girlfriend. We found a bunch of cool stuff and brought it home.
The B1 was worth putting the effort into for sure. It's only going to get limited use since I watched to keep it in nice shape. I just put new blades on the 64 Landlords 32" deck since the old ones were sharpened beyond use. Here's a pic of how worn the old blades were. I laid one of the old blades on top of one of the new ones. I found the 3 blade set for 25.00 shipped and I had to pick them up since this is my main mowing machine now. I'll also be using the Landlord for grading, and the Big Ten is the plowing and hauling machine. I also have to get the sickle bar mounted on the 62 squire since the weeds are getting tall along the driveway and the ditches. It's been one heck of a year rebuilding engines and working on these old machines,but all of the work is paying off. At some point I should take a break from the tractors and go fishing or something, HA!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150609_005414-1.jpg
  • 20150604_131836-1.jpg

Edited by classic, June 09, 2015 - 12:21 AM.

• MH81 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#37 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • Member No: 21308
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 05:23 AM

Those old bottle dumps are fun! Found quite a number of collectibles diggin'.

Gettin' very attached to this old B-10. The 16 hp cast Briggs came from a Simplicity Landlord parked at the local scrap yard.

The Bee handles the grader blade very well. An implement I've wanted for a very long time.

Still playing working on the Bee although doesn't need much, or anything. Running very well!   :thumbs:

• classic and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#38 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,060 Thanks
  • 2,175 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 09:10 AM

Classic, can you take a pic of the back of the tractor with the sleeve hitch on it? or just the sleeve hitch. I just bought a B10 and would like to make a sleeve hitch for it. Thanks in advance, Tom

Two types...earlier type is simpler and easier to build.

image.jpg

Later type (provides downpressure on a FDT, if you are careful)
20121913231_SAM_2733.JPG$(KGrHqNHJEgFEnPjcTtqBRcbflQ,ZQ~~60_1.JPHitchmeasurments.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• images (1).jpg
  • Hitchmeasurments.jpg
  • images.png
  • plow.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• MH81, TomLGT195, classic and 1 other said thanks

#39 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,202 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 04:41 PM

I see, the chain attaches to the implement, in the smaller older style. and the newer design can give down pressure. Thanks 

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#40 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 08:06 AM

I have a 16 horse in an Allis Big Ten Tankman, and I plowed and hauled firewood during the winter with it. You're right, they don't grunt much at all with those engines in them. I finally picked up a grader blade for my 64 Landlord and it does a great job on the driveway. I watched your video of you grading your driveway, thanks for posting that and nice job!
I enjoy researching the history of the old equipment and the history of the area around me. There are old bottle dumps scattered around and can be fun to dig. Here's a pic of a Mason jar and an old blob top Spatz Brothers bottle from the bottling company that was here in town long ago. I found the bottle dump last summer and dug there for hours with my girlfriend. We found a bunch of cool stuff and brought it home.
The B1 was worth putting the effort into for sure. It's only going to get limited use since I watched to keep it in nice shape. I just put new blades on the 64 Landlords 32" deck since the old ones were sharpened beyond use. Here's a pic of how worn the old blades were. I laid one of the old blades on top of one of the new ones. I found the 3 blade set for 25.00 shipped and I had to pick them up since this is my main mowing machine now. I'll also be using the Landlord for grading, and the Big Ten is the plowing and hauling machine. I also have to get the sickle bar mounted on the 62 squire since the weeds are getting tall along the driveway and the ditches. It's been one heck of a year rebuilding engines and working on these old machines,but all of the work is paying off. At some point I should take a break from the tractors and go fishing or something, HA!

A bad day's fishing is better than a good day's work every time !

• classic said thank you

#41 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,060 Thanks
  • 2,175 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 08:14 AM

I see, the chain attaches to the implement, in the smaller older style. and the newer design can give down pressure. Thanks 

Yup!  I prefer the early style...it allows the implement to hop if it strikes an obstacle, without threat of damage to the tractors lift components.  There was actually a lift rod offered later on for FDT's, so that they could use the late style hitch without breaking the rod or damaging the lift.

Attached Thumbnails

• 990642 - Rear Lift (chain).PNG

• TomLGT195, classic and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#42 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 08:26 AM

Two types...earlier type is simpler and easier to build.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Later type (provides downpressure on a FDT, if you are careful)
20121913231_SAM_2733.JPG$(KGrHqNHJEgFEnPjcTtqBRcbflQ,ZQ~~60_1.JPHitchmeasurments.jpg

Thank you, for the build views , i wish there were a better pic or 2 of the tractor rear pulley set up too

Shane 

Edited by holdenboy1960, June 10, 2015 - 08:28 AM.

• TomLGT195 and classic have said thanks