#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 07:52 PM

Strong little tractor with good weight. Thank for showing it doing what it is built to do 50 years later.

I like the Locke reel mower in the background.

• classic, holdenboy1960 and Antoniofuse have said thanks

#17 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 08:05 PM

Thanks Jesse. It was fun using the B1 to get the work, especially after spending so much time working on it. That's the Locke I bought last year for 50 bucks! I went to pick up a WW2 generator and the guy offered to sell me the Locke mower. I never even seen one before. It would only backfire when I first got it and it was just a bad spark plug. I put some gas in it and just mowed the front yard with it. It puts a puff of smoke out once in a while, so it will get new rings at some point. It does run great and mows well, though.
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#18 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,062 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 09:12 PM

Been eagerly awaiting this! Yes, thank you for sharing. She's A+
  • classic and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#19 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 12:38 AM

You're welcome Josh, and thanks! I was eagerly waiting to get the plow in the ground. So many hours cleaning, rebuilding, repairing, and getting everything adjusted to function properly is well worth the effort. I really have my hands full now with my current project, and it's not quite as easy sourcing parts for the Gard'n Master JS model, but so far so good.

#20 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 04:55 AM

looks an awesome job on the garden m8 , well done & i like the tractor 

• classic said thank you

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 05:54 AM

Nice looking garden and tractor.
Thanks for sharing the pics, it's a great looking machine.
  • classic said thank you

#22 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 06:45 AM

Thanks Jesse. It was fun using the B1 to get the work, especially after spending so much time working on it. That's the Locke I bought last year for 50 bucks! I went to pick up a WW2 generator and the guy offered to sell me the Locke mower. I never even seen one before. It would only backfire when I first got it and it was just a bad spark plug. I put some gas in it and just mowed the front yard with it. It puts a puff of smoke out once in a while, so it will get new rings at some point. It does run great and mows well, though.

I knew of a guy in Ma who collected Locke and other post war reel mowers. He has since sold off the collection and focused on horse drawn. I had opportunities to buy a running Triplex Locke.

Several years ago I happened across parts of a horse drawn reel mower locally in Ma aiding in his start of horse drawn collection, at the time I had a extensive collection of which is still in the process of selling. Stock drawn farms have popped up all over Western Ma in the last 12 years, thankfully, unlike some states, there is still a small active market .

I remember that thread now you mention the genset. I know someone that has the same genset you were going to buy, he should still have it, if you are still interested he might sell it, we cleaned it up, painted it OD and mounted to a cart. Does not run at 3,600 rpms but 2,800 rpms, set throttle type. I should have pictures.

#23 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 09:47 AM

I have two of those Gen sets now Jesse and I think that's enough for now, but thanks for offering it to me. I'm out of room to store things and really need to put up a garage. Here is a horse drawn plow I found on the property. It was half buried in a pile of scrap metal in the woods. The plow is broken and heavily worn from use. It's still interesting to look at, and I think of the hours that someone spent behind this plow.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150523_103115-1.jpg

• MH81, trowel and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 10:08 AM

I have two of those Gen sets now Jesse and I think that's enough for now, but thanks for offering it to me. I'm out of room to store things and really need to put up a garage. Here is a horse drawn plow I found on the property. It was half buried in a pile of scrap metal in the woods. The plow is broken and heavily worn from use. It's still interesting to look at, and I think of the hours that someone spent behind this plow.

Neat old plow! Bet it's been through many acres of ground!

• trowel and classic have said thanks

#25 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 11:08 AM

Here's some interesting history on the Syracuse Chilled Plow Co., Kenny.
http://www.farmcolle...w-deere-co.aspx
  • KennyP, trowel, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#26 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 09:25 PM

Here's some interesting history on the Syracuse Chilled Plow Co., Kenny.
http://www.farmcolle...w-deere-co.aspx

I still have my Syracuse Chilled Plow Works two-way / hillside sulky plow and the Oliver Chilled Plow Works, two 16 inch left and right plows.

The SCP Works is 1890-s, the OCP Works is 1914 to 16.

Looks like yours is 1860's, good shape for it's age.

• classic said thank you

#27 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 09:30 PM

Syracuse_1879_chilled-plow.jpg

Is that a 16 inch ?, I wonder if the later ones moldboard would fit.

Edited by trowel, May 24, 2015 - 09:32 PM.

• Sawdust and classic have said thanks

#28 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 10:06 PM

I will have to get more pics and measurements of the plow Jesse. Thanks for posting the plow pic, and glad to hear you are still using the ones you mentioned. Here is an old pic of the farmhouse which was torn down in the early 90's. My garden now sits above it's old foundation. The plow probably spent it's life here working the fields.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150524_225212-1.jpg

Edited by classic, May 24, 2015 - 10:08 PM.

• trowel and Sawdust have said thanks

#29 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 07:51 AM

We sold off just about everything throughout the years before my grandfather passed in 1998,, with his advices in mind for the upcoming changes in the direction the generations were heading in and why he started the closing I understood in a way being so young. After trying for several years alone I saw what he was talking about so I closed it down in 2001, decided it best my siblings explore education for jobs  and find their own way without the attachments of a non profiting farm, we filed for different taxes and changed the land over officially ending it's 162 years of being farm on. Only two ponies and our last horse, a Appie / Paint mix called Marty we saved from the animal shelter.

Soon my plows will be pulled from storage, sulkies reassembled beam plows cleaned up and sold. I already have a local stock drawn farmer interested. It takes a long time each summer to clean it out, years.

I never really looked into the old cast beam plows having my start with tractors and heavy equipment and it's attachments. In passing and memory i think that beam took two different types of share and moldboard, field and general. There is a chance you may never find the exact replacement taking into considerations the age of the plow being built with many handwork so the parts would be forged as standard but then customized to suit you plow. Just at the rise of hot stamping, roll forming coke fired foundries and advancements in metallurgy.

We live in some of the oldest settlements in the US.

• Sawdust said thank you

#30 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 11:39 AM

Most of the working farms are long gone around here Jesse, and times change as you mentioned. There are bluestone quarries all around me that have been abandoned long ago. There are still remnants of the old machinery scattered about. There's a gear hoist set up that was powered by the rear axle of an old car, possibly a model T Ford sitting in the woods. The gear hoist was hooked to a long wooden mast that was used for lifting the cut stone onto the wagons. It's interesting walking through these places and thinking back to when they were in operation. It's how they lived in their time, and we must now live in ours.I will be leaving the chilled plow in it's current state I think. I'll get some more pics of some relics that still sit in the woods around here.
  • trowel, Sawdust and Simpleton have said thanks