11 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 12:51 PM

Going to build a work table for the GT's and 4 wheelers. I plan to build it out of wood (plenty on hand). The top will be about 42" wide X 60" long and made from 2 X 6 lumber. I want the center top boards removable to have full access to the under side of the machine. I have an electric winch to anchor to a tire change station bolted down to concrete to pull the dead units up onto the work table. 2 X 8 plank for ramps. This will be portable which I can move easily with my tractor and loader. My question is, how high off the floor would be ideal for this work table. I don't want to be bending over all the time or down on my knees to work on something. Also don't want it so high I cannot drive a unit up onto the table. I am just not sure how high it should be and once it is built it won't be easy to change, especially lower.
  • hamman, Chopperhed and propane1 have said thanks

#2 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 01:23 PM

If it were me, I'd think about what I was going to do from underneath the machine. Myself, I don't do well laying on my back,and working above my head. It just kills my neck. I would keep it between knee and waist high and then you aren't bending over too much and can still reach the top of the engine or dash if you have to. By the way, I'm only 5'- 6"

• hamman, propane1, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 02:06 PM

I've pondered this question also. If and when I make mine I am going to make it 34" to the top of the table. I want to make it so it can be raised, like a air table, from the floor. It will have ramp like tracks to hold the tires in. It will be open in the middle to allow access to the underside of the tractors. Good luck with yours. looking forward to your progress.                                                                                                                                                                                       roger

• boyscout862, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 02:19 PM

I was thinking standard kitchen counter height of 36". That's a great idea to have it up to work at it. Noel
  • hamman and chieffan have said thanks

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 02:31 PM

I built mine at 27" for no particular reason. I find it a decent height for working on stuff. It's a good height for standing, and I can sit on a roller stool for lower stuff.

However, I had to stop using 2 x 8" planks for ramps, as they would bend severely when winching onto the table. I picked up a set of aluminum ATV ramps for the lighter stuff, and I have a pair of 10" C-Channels for the heavy stuff.

• hamman, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#6 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 934 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 02:32 PM

I would say it depends on what part you are working on. I have a platform that is about knee high. It is a good height for working on carbs, a little too high to work underneath laying on the floor, but too low to sit up and work on anything. I have to climb on the platform to mess with anything on the top. There is no magic number for height and no one size fits all size. the more adjustable you make it, the more you will like it 

#7 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 122 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 03:57 PM

Anytime I want to make something I always check youtube first.  Always great ideas there.  I believe there are some lift table there.

#8 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 972 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 05:51 PM

I'm taller so I make my work benches 39" high. It really saves my back when doing bench work. I also put a sacrificial sheet of 3/4 MDF on top of my 2bys. It saves my bench and gives a hard flat surface to work on. When it gets buggered up I unscrew it from underneath and put on a new piece.

By 2x8 ramps bowed under load, too, so I glued and screwed a 2x4 perpendicular down the center of the 2x8. No more bowing. Do taper the bottom end of the 2x4 so your ramps sit flush on the ground.
  • LPBolens, hamman, Chopperhed and 2 others have said thanks

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 08:24 PM

I built mine at 27" for no particular reason. I find it a decent height for working on stuff. It's a good height for standing, and I can sit on a roller stool for lower stuff.

However, I had to stop using 2 x 8" planks for ramps, as they would bend severely when winching onto the table. I picked up a set of aluminum ATV ramps for the lighter stuff, and I have a pair of 10" C-Channels for the heavy stuff.

The 27" is about the area I was thinking - 28 -30".

As for the ramps I have thought of the bending situation and will build an A frame to stick under the ramps about midway to support them.

For working under a tractor would be for changing drive shaft parts, etc. I have a 1050 that has a seized PTO tension shaft. Have been soaking it for over a week and not gaining much. I think the only way out is to remove it and take it apart, clean it up good and back together again. Not a job I am looking forward to but looks like the only way out. Grass is growing and need another mower running. With a work table I can get under to get at the cap screws would sure be handy.

Edited by chieffan, April 21, 2015 - 08:27 PM.

• hamman and propane1 have said thanks

#10 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 934 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 10:21 PM

I use 2x10x8' for ramps and have not had any trouble with sag on 1200# tractors, loading a jake F10 is a totally different story. I got new ramps after that one.

• chieffan said thank you

#11 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 07:00 AM

Thanks a bunch guys.  The only safe and feasible way to come up with an adjustable work table would be to purchase a commercial air operated unit.  Cost prohibitive until I win the lottery. (Do you have to have a ticket?)  Probably the heaviest item that mine would be used for is a 1053 with thrower or tiller.  I may go with 2 X 10 for the ramps just to have that extra 2" to work with.  With center support not concerned about any bowing.  Channels would work good if you have the round profile type tires.  With the flat tread tires we use today I think they would crawl right on over the lip on the edge of a channel.  Channels would stop any side slip but doubtful for a rolling tire.  I like the idea of the MDF on top of the 2X, but would still want the option of opening the center up for work from underneath.  I trust my construction skills enough to not worry a bit about stability or strength.  May get on it this weekend as they are talking rain for a few days again.

#12 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 07:23 AM

Keep in mind that a front-mounted or rear-mounted attachment is going to affect the length the ramps need to be.  ....Otherwise, the attachment is going to hang-up on the floor or ramps.