• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Runnyrunnerton OFFLINE  

Runnyrunnerton
  • Member No: 69704
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 11:54 AM

I have a John Deere LX172 that has an electrical bug that seems like it would be easy to locate by someone with expereince. I inherited this machine when i purchased my property. I pulled the manula, serviced the machine, and began mowing. She ran like a top for about 6 hours of service and suddenly died. Not a sputter death, an instant death. I thought it was a bateery issue but the batt was brand new and tested great. I sniffed around and found a blown 15 amp fuse behind the dash. Replaced it and the mower starts up and runs like a top. However, when you engage a gear or cycle the PTO switch, the motor instantly dies. I have been searching high and low for a wiring diagram to try and trouble shoot this but cant find one.

Anyone have any idea? My first guess was the relay was bad behind the pto, but that wouldnt affect the gear box circuit right?

Are there any other fuses in this bad boy I am missing?

I killed the motor, turned the key on and the switch below the carb gets power, throw the PTO or the Gear and the power to the switch dies.

• larisaPn said thank you

#2 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 913 Thanks
  • 1,204 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 12:55 PM

Find the pto clutch wire connector and disconnect from pto then try turning pto switch on and see what happens

#3 Runnyrunnerton OFFLINE  

Runnyrunnerton
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 08:29 PM

Pulled it loose, also my curiosity got the best of me. the fenders, hood, deck and shell came off in preparation for a good cleaning. Ordered two new belts for the deck. Went with the blue v-belts as I couldnt find anyone claiming better belts existed. Also planning on topping off the trranny fluid, She loses power on hills and the drive belt looks good........Im rambling........ So again, i found the plug connecting he PTO to the wiring harness. disconnected it. fired up the machine, hit the the PTO switch. Dead. I ran a continuity check to the PTO clucth. All is well. Continuity on the wires running to the PTO good, I looked back behind the steering wheel cover, there is a circuit board there, god only knows what kind of animal could have crawled into that thing and fried itself.  So anybody know where I can find a wiring diagram and start testing out which wire is misbehaving or switch that has failed? Does this sound like a solenoid failure? Remember i was driving this thing, all was well and without warning it went Dead. Motor runs like a top, When it goes in gear or the pto is engaged it dies. The wire to the bottom of the carb loses power and kills the motor.

#4 Runnyrunnerton OFFLINE  

Runnyrunnerton
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 09:03 PM

Wow. I dont know how I got this far without learning this trick. Sling blade, does it got gas in it? Soooooooo there is this pressure sensitive switch on the seat, two youtube videos later, it appears fixed and jumpered.... Goes into gear without shutting down. PTO sounds like it engages but with no belt or tension on it I dont know if its working. When the new belts come it I guess Ill know for sure.  Thanks for the post! Ill start a new thread concerning the rest of the repairs.