• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • Member No: 69512
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 11:40 PM

So when i fired the engine up, it only seems to idle when the upper butterfly is completely shut. The lower butterfly doesnt seem to affect anything open or shut. If i crack the choke (upper plate), just a hair, it takes right off. Any of you fine fellas have any thoughts or advice? Governor issue or? This carb only has on adjustment screw on the front.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150413_172701.jpg
  • IMG_20150413_172649.jpg
  • IMG_20150420_185220.jpg

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 05:03 AM

Have you read through the adjustment procedures in the Repair manual? Section 4 is on the governor, page 56.

• Hobal said thank you

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 07:35 AM

I'm not real sure what your asking. The choke (upper plate) should only be closed for starting and partial choke for warm up. If you have to keep the choke on to keep it running, the carb either isn't getting enough gas or is plugged. If you have to close the choke to keep it from running away then the gov is the problem. The throttle is wide open in the pic. Can you take the lever and move it so the flat hits the screw? That should be idle. the screw will hold the throttle open  a little to control idle speed. If you can get the engine to idle and rev up by working the throttle by hand, then go towards the governor. I believe the screw in the front is for idle mixtrue only. Some of these carbs have an electric solenoid that shuts the fuel off in the main jet. If you have that solenoid, you need 12v to it to open it so it will run.

#4 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 01:57 PM

Thanks, i will check that out and get back to ya.

#5 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 07:09 PM

Thanks, i will check that out and get back to ya.

Well, It decided to start pouring here this afternoon, friggin weatherman should have to come mop up the half inch of partly cloudy that's on the ground.

Thanks, i will check that out and get back to ya

• KennyP said thank you

#6 grattone OFFLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 08:03 PM

What engine is this ? Looks similar to a 18 hp twin B&S that I just installed in a 6x4 Gator (long story) , on that engine once it started the throttle plate closed and the adjusting screw did its job. Also in the first picture there is a hose missing above the throttle isn't that the vacuum for the fuel pump ? just some thing to consider..

Gratton

#7 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 09:11 PM

What engine is this ? Looks similar to a 18 hp twin B&S that I just installed in a 6x4 Gator (long story) , on that engine once it started the throttle plate closed and the adjusting screw did its job. Also in the first picture there is a hose missing above the throttle isn't that the vacuum for the fuel pump ? just some thing to consider..

Gratton

That is the fuel line, the one that is missing. I just have a temporary tank set up right now. And I'm not sure what the hp size is. When I found it, it was much like it is now, except on top of a two more lawn tractors in a scrap heap. It's an opposed twin B&S on a 1963 Sears and Roebuck. Not a stamp to be found on the motor. One thought i have is because there isn't a vacuum regulator present, and the carb design uses vacuum pressure to feed itself rather than gravity, if it isn't over fuelling the engine. That being said, I haven't gotten out there today to have a look. I am going to investigate the manual further this evening. Right now it idles nicely but with the choke plate closed and the throttle doesn't respond open or shut.  Thanks Grattone for the thought. 

#8 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 10:58 PM

Have you read through the adjustment procedures in the Repair manual? Section 4 is on the governor, page 56.

Hey Kenny, Actually I read up on the carb and then the governor briefly, and then went out and reset it, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference, but I did not get to the point where my brain said, "Ya ok, I see", sooo I will get it figured out eventually, I just need more time. I'm on a Link-Belt 3400 excavator, clearing a 5 acre parcel, so I've a jurrasic sized slash pile burning, and just went and fed it before bed. I only had an hour to tinker on the B&S before I went back. It doesn't have an electric anti-solinoid on the carb, there is only one idle air adjustment screw, and thus far when I fire it up, the choke shut is the only thing that holds it at idle, and the throttle doesn't do anything. I'm wondering about vacuum pressure. Thats my next venture. I sure am thankful for everyones advice. Ignorance and brute strength sure has a way of bringing like minded people together. Its great. Cheers. 

• KennyP said thank you

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 11:09 PM

The fuel pump works on pressure and vacuum in the crankcase. It has to be sealed good to make it work. there is a diaphragm and a couple light springs in there that are operated by the changing pressures. The kits to repair weere cheap last time I needed one. If you're careful, you can take it apart and save it. If its real out of shape it probaly isn't any good. Take the top off the carb and check the float and needle valve, make sure the fuel passags are open..

• Hobal said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 04:54 AM

I was fooling with an older 16HP Twin yesterday and saw something there that might be where your problem lies. Check this pic out, especially the center with the different governor spring locations.

B&S Twin.JPG

If the spring is in the one set of holes, it will run fast.

• Hobal said thank you

#11 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 11:18 PM

I was fooling with an older 16HP Twin yesterday and saw something there that might be where your problem lies. Check this pic out, especially the center with the different governor spring locations.

attachicon.gifB&S Twin.JPG

If the spring is in the one set of holes, it will run fast.

Thanks Kenny, The problem definately lies with the governor, and they can be fickle beasts at best. I appreciate everyones patience, considering even after all that i have learned, the truth to be told, what I don't know yet about these motors could fill a friggin warehouse. lol.  

#12 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Member No: 16215
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 11:21 PM

ohh i see its a opposed twins these can be tricky. i have had a few carbs apart for these tricky beasts run like you know what if one little hole is partually clogged lol

• Hobal said thank you

#13 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 08:14 AM

hey guys sorry i haven't been on of late. been on THIS bad boy for the last week burning slash. My lil tractor could fit in this one 5 ft clean up bucket.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150107_152127.jpg
  • IMG_20150107_152142.jpg

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carbs, b&s, throttle