7 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 09:22 PM

I have a 4 ft box blade for my big tractor - it's a Cat1, but it will support cat 0 pin placement and top hitch.

I need to do some landscape work in Florida and my Ford LGT165 (with 3 pt hitch, or a sears ss16 with manual 3 point hitch) is down there already so I wouldn't have to bring down the big tractor, just the blade.

Pretty sure it will physically fit the tractors, but wondering how effective it would be in Florida sandy soil. It's a developed area with established lawn - no major rocks, roots etc..

Both tractors would have turf tires and I don't have additional weights on either. If needed, I do have a set of 9.5 bar tires I could put on the rear.

Most of the GT box blades I see are 38 inch and more light weight. Mine is a 4 ft howse brand and pretty stout. Heavy too - it is made for a full size CUT tractor. 

I need to scalp and grade a grassy area to pour a concrete driveway, then excavate 4 inches or so for the slab.

I also have a plow/snow blade for the Ford that I could use once I do some repairs on it...

Wondering if anybody has used this big of a blade similarly. Is it going to be worth trying to do with the GT or am I asking too much? Tractor and blade are 600 miles apart at the moment, so I can't just run out there and try it out!

I know some of you have a LOT of weight on your tractors and that helps, but what can I expect without the extra weight? 

Also, can you use a snow/plow blade to do what I want if the boxblade wont work?

I am used to using the box blade on the bigger tractor, but no real experience with the GT's aside from mowing and pulling trailers.

Thanks in advance!

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 03:08 AM

I had one, similar type to use on my 24" Power King, good size gt. Was pretty heavy and once full of gravel, it just spun and sunk wheels. Was really too big for it. I had no weights. Sold it. I don't see the Sears even mounting it, they have 12" width on their lift arms. Hire it done, be quick and simple.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 04:31 AM

The Howse 4' Economy blade weighs in at about 300 lbs. Not sure if either of those could lift it. Plus, once full, may not be able to pull it.

#4 greenb69 ONLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 04:35 AM

Did this myself once. Ended up using a tiller to soften the ground and then blade to level. Took forever. Your blade is probably to much for the gt's. If you have lots of time have fun if not, have it done.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,790 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 06:39 AM

I have a 42" Earthcavator that I used on my Simplicity 3310 a couple of weeks ago. When the box got more than 1/2 full the tires would lose traction. The snowplow was sold as a snow/dirt plow by most manufacturers. Established turf may be hard to penetrate. Bust it up with a moldboard plow. Hiring it out may save you alot of time and aggravation but it also depends on how much they charge and how good of a job they do. Good Luck, Rick

#6 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 08:24 AM

Thanks guys! That's kind of what I thought would be the answer but figured I'd ask......

You know how it goes, some times I try to manufacture a "need" for the little tractors!

I did know that a box blade can suck up power. Even with my 2320 tractor (4 wheel drive @ 20+ diesel hp and a LOT more weight), you can get the box digging enough to bring the tractor to a halt! So I knew that it would be easy does it with the GT's, if at all.

Sort of maddening... I have the skid steer (the PERFECT tool) or the tractor that would cut the driveway with ease but its 600 miles away and by the time I drag it down and back up, it would be cheaper to have it done! Oh well, it was a thought.....

Thanks again for the quick replies!

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 08:27 AM

Have you looked into renting a unit down there? Maybe a neighbor has something to help out?

#8 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 09:01 PM

I have used the 48 inch snow / dozer blade that I got with my LGT 145 to push a lot sand dirt when I was filling some holes last year. It worked great & moved a lot of sand. The biggest challenge was keeping the blade to the right height so that it would not dig in removing more dirt then needed. 

Charlie