Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Started the tear of down of the 72 Raider 10.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 07:48 PM

This is a ex puller best I can tell probably from the 70's or 80's then it was left to sit out for it lookie decades. I drug it home a few months initially for parts but after looking it over,seeing the history and character and the mods already down I decided to make a project tractor out of it. The tractor is a 72 Raider but it has already been changed over to a 66-67 style long hood with the required front riser to get the hood high enough to clear a big block Kohler,All the original lift mechanism is long gone,The rear hubs have been changed to later model heavy duty style,and the rear wheels have been custom widened to what appears to be 12 inches to spread the 26 - 12 -12 Goodyears out as wide as possible,there are other mods but those are the main ones already done to the tractor. Right before I drug it home the previous owner ( who knew nothing about it,he found it out beside a building on a job the he was doing) had sold the non original older style starter generator big block Kohler off of it. My plans are for it to be a plow or plow day tractor. It will get fresh paint and decals eventually. The 8 speed rear that I took out has internal issues so I replace it with another 8 speed,you can see the mocked up swept forward John Deere front axle,and the tentative plan for now is a big block K sears Kohler 14 or 16 hp. I may go a head and reinforce the frame to transaxle mounting plate while its apart because the plan is for it to pull a 12 inch plow. I am either going to do a homemade hydraulic lift or electric,I haven't decided for sure yet. The running boards are not going back on,it will have foot pegs instead,nor is the fender pan,I plan to use round fenders on the rear and may use a seat spring seat setup. That is the jest of where this project is headed. I hope to have it pretty much done by late summer or sooner. Lots of water in the transaxle.You can see the puddle of water running out as soon as I got it separated from the tractor. 

Attached Thumbnails

• custom wheel horse tractor 4 20 2015.jpg
  • custom wheel horse tractor 4 20 2015.jpg 2.jpg
  • custom wheel horse tractor 4 20 2015.jpg 4.jpg
  • custom wheel horse tractor 4 20 2015.jpg 7.jpg

• hamman, CRFarnsworth, Traill95 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 07:52 PM

I drug it out to pressure washer it a couple of weeks ago and it's obvious that the hood will need some body work. I have never seen a Wheel Horse hood with this much rust.

Attached Thumbnails

• custom wheel horse tractor 4 8 2015.jpg 4.jpg
  • custom wheel horse tractor 4 8 2015.jpg 5.jpg
  • custom wheel horse.jpg 4 8 2015.jpg 4.jpg
  • custom wheel horse tractor 4 8 2015.jpg 6.jpg
  • custom wheel horse tractor 4 8 2015.jpg 10.jpg

• hamman, KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 1 other said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 05:57 AM

This shuold be fun to watch. Is it the picks or is the front axle wider then the rear? Maybe some 'skinnys' up there?

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#4 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 08:48 PM

It's wider and swept forward on purpose Kenny. A lot of guys pay big money for a Wheel Horse swept forward front axle from a 520 model to put under their Horses. You can do the same thing much cheaper with a JD front axle. It will sweep forward giving almost a 2 inch increase in wheelbase and is 4 inches wider. It also (like the 520 front axle) has 1 inch spindles. The rearend that I plan to put in it is a later 8 speed with 1 and 1/8th inch axles and 8 pinion differential. It is also about a inch wider,plus I plan to use wheel spacers to get the rear 3-4 inches wider than it was. On the front I will most likely go with 18 8.50 8's or 18 6.50 8's I haven't made up my mind yet. I am looking for a long wide low "Hoss" stance for this plow tractor.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, April 21, 2015 - 08:49 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 09:54 AM

Just remember that widening the axles will have an effect on the plow out back. It will have to move over to account for the wider stance.

#6 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 07:44 PM

Yes Sir,already taken into account Kenny. I haven't decided if I want a stock type sleeve hitch or if I want to build a three point for it. I would already have to offset the plow before the spacers since the rear tires are a good 3.5 inches wider than stock. It's a toy so there is no hurry or need to get it finished. While I would like to have it done by late summer,if on the other hand it takes two years to iron it all out that's OK too. So I'm not hurried on engineering out the details.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, April 22, 2015 - 07:45 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 06:42 AM

Glad to hear that. Should be a good hillside tractor!

#8 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 938 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 08:24 AM

Good stuff on the front axle swap, learned something there :thumbs: