• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Vineyard45 OFFLINE  

Vineyard45
  • Member No: 61971
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 07:25 PM

I bought a closed sided lgt from a fellow member late last summer. Used it to mow into the fall and then to plow my 800ft driveway during the winter(full hydrolic plow rocks). No real issues other than the engine knocking and needing a new sellinoid. Anyway, while hauling leaves I noticed a burning smell. Didn't think much about it, parked the tractor and continued chores. I assumed it was from the engine as I was being ruff on her(off roading to the dump pile). I smelled it again as I was backing her into the garage and this time I took the time to investigate. Definitely coming from the rear. Thought the tranny might be low on fluid but was filled to bolt(spilled out when removed). The fluid looked clean(clear in color) but I have know idea what is actually in there. It has a screw on tranny filter that doesn't seem in bad shape. One clue was it leaked a little from the filter when parked. Maybe a teaspoon worth onto the ground. It never has leaked anything before. I was thinking maybe a pressure valve wasn't working causing the filter leak? Or maybe the filter is clogged. Any direction would be much appreciated.
PS I'd be willing to.trade one of my kids for a lgt snowblower attachment. Your choice, I have one of each. Fair notice they don't shovle snow :]
  • KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 07:51 PM

The most common burning smell around New England tractors is going to be a mouse nest in the engine. The closed sides and the seat pan may bring the smoke to the back of the tractor. Good Luck, Rick

• tinbender7 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 08:26 PM

Did you touch the rear end to see if it was hot, I know what some of you are thinking , if the fluid is clear then it is not been that hot. I would check to see if the brake is stuck on , or the fins on the differential where the fan blows air on it to cool it are clear and that the fan is in good shape. Noel.
  • tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 08:29 PM

Like has been said...check the break..and engine..odd for the rear to get that hot.

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 03:49 AM

I have seen hydros get hot enough to smoke (cub cadet and bolens) but never on an Eaton 11 that is what your Ford. What it smell like? If it smelled like hot metal, or brakes ,then the linkage may be stuck, if it smells like plastic, something may be hitting the fan on the drive shaft in front of the hydro unit. If it smells like rubber, immediate attention is needed to the flex couplings in the drive shaft.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 04:25 AM

Sounds like it's time to check things out. These Eatons have fins on them that can get filled with dirt easily. And that fan does help cool things, make sure it is good. Hard to find new ones though.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 Vineyard45 OFFLINE  

Vineyard45
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm out of town but will check fins when I return. It didn't seem hot but the smell was definitely was hot metal burned oil smell coming from the rear. Closer inspection is in order. I was thinking maybe it was a common issue/fix hence the posting.

#8 fxdb96 OFFLINE  

fxdb96
  • Member No: 56857
  • 118 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 08:27 PM

My gt 14 will allow me to go forward all day long with the park brake engaged.... That could be the smell...

When I try to back up the brake snugs up and I remember.....oops
  • propane1 said thank you

#9 Vineyard45 OFFLINE  

Vineyard45
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 11:21 PM

Checked fins and fan this morning. Looked clean and operating properly. Ran her for a hour and no problems. I'll just keep an eye on things and hopefully it was just something silly like the brake. Thanks
  • propane1 said thank you

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 06:45 AM

Could be the brake is adjusted a little tight. Or was stuck.

#11 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 06:06 PM

Has the smell come back? The fluid and filter were changed when I bought it about 3 years ago.  Proper hytrans fluid, and correct stens replacement filter.  These do have enough power to drive with the parking brake on.. hope that was it. When you had the plug out did the fluid smell burnt? You mentioned it looked clean , but smell it. That could help rule out internal issues.  Good luck, Tom