• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 07:15 AM

Ok, found another parts list that has the 01 to 06 series covered

Turns out the 01 does not need the Torsion springs! 02-06 requires the torsion springs.

Being that Rainer's deck is red that would likely make it an 01 series, I would date Sawdusts deck 02 and later which had those springs.

• sodisr, Sawdust and Rainier have said thanks

#17 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 08:13 AM

Thanks guys.
Now that I know what model it is that helps a lot. When I looked at the brake downs. They all showed that U shaped bracket. Now I know that is for the gear driven tractors not the hydrostatic, also in the manual section there is the owners manual. This tells you how to adjust your deck so it hangs proper.
Here in the NW I have to mo twice a week to keep up in the spring. A little rain and then some sun, And BOOM the grass grows like crazy.
  • Bolens 1000, sodisr and Sawdust have said thanks

#18 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 12:33 PM

Very interesting thread...    sorry I'm late on it...  My 1556 hydro ,,42" deck   RED,, always has been,,  looks like your'es Husky  only all red.. I have the torsion springs on mine.. But I too only have one adjuster on the left side... So now should it have two.?? I just went and uncovered mine and see the holes are there for one on the right.. but no adjuster..  I can't say that I noticed it cutting un-even,  maybe the lift lever doe's it there instead.???  and you adjust the left to match the right..  who knows.....

• Sawdust said thank you

#19 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 03:06 PM

Not sure about that, But when you drop the deck to cut , It will be sitting on the wheels and that may be all it takes for the deck to stay level?
  • Sawdust said thank you

#20 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 962 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 04:19 PM

The adjuster or "leveling rod" is correct. There is only supposed to be one on the mower deck. Typically the sagging to one side or the other is more so caused by worn linkages and or linkages that are not installed quite properly. The front torsion springs were added to the 02 and later series 18423 mower decks to help alleviate some of the sloppiness of the linkage assembly, and help stop the deck from "bouncing" over rough terrain. It goes with the same reasoning that some of these decks have a front roller, while others did not, even though they are the same model #. The torsion springs can be added to any of the 18423 mower decks if needed, but will also work fine without them.
  • Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi and 2 others have said thanks

#21 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 06:13 PM

Husky it looks like you have only one lift link as well on the left side. Does your right side hang lower than the left when in the up position?

No on this model it attaches to the hydraulic lift cylinder linkage which is on the side where you see that lift link. The rod that goes over the gear box transfers the lift to both sides of the deck.

• Sawdust said thank you

#22 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 09:21 PM

Like sodisr said very interesting deck thread. Good info for everyone. Thanks everyone who jumped in to help. Now I will only redo my booger-ed up leveling rod on the left side & not worry about the right side. I also believe worn parts will cause the deck to not hang level.  :thumbs:

• Husky, Deerlope and sodisr have said thanks

#23 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 11:19 AM

Like sodisr said very interesting deck thread. Good info for everyone. Thanks everyone who jumped in to help. Now I will only redo my booger-ed up leveling rod on the left side & not worry about the right side. I also believe worn parts will cause the deck to not hang level.  :thumbs:

Yah, one thing for sure is on those flat triangle looking pieces is that the hole wears egg shape after years of use. When I redo my next one I am going to weld on some thick walled heavy washers over the hole to give it extra support. That area causes a lot of play and leveling issues. 

• Sawdust and Rainier have said thanks