#16 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 08:27 PM

i ordered one today should be here Fri. it was $188.60 +tax .

#17 AV430 OFFLINE  

AV430

• Member No: 2370
  • 53 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 09:07 PM

Way to go Gary, you will not regret it. As long as you keep it greased, I doubt you will wear that one out. I bought my 317 needing a drive shaft and once installed I was amazed how smooth that tractor is. I cleaned and covered both the engine and transmission shafts with anti-seize just in case I ever have to pull it apart again. Adam

#18 spam OFFLINE  

spam

• Member No: 2482
  • 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 08:46 PM

There is a truck/machine shop/ repair place called > CATCO. Near me it's in Green Bay, Wisconsin but it's a national chain franchise. they mostly work on heavy trucks and stuff BUT they can make any driveshaft you need. They have the U-joints, couplers, splinded couplers, and even grease fittings in all shapes and sizes for anything. New driveshaft (onan engine to rear hydro pump) with all new parts custom sized was $125. The guy there said they do it all the time and it's no big deal at all.

#19 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 06:28 PM

thanks ill check them out . the one i ordered came in and it was the old style with no grease zerts and if im spending that much i better be able to grease it .

#20 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 07:07 PM

thanks ill check them out . the one i ordered came in and it was the old style with no grease zerts and if im spending that much i better be able to grease it .

But they told you it would have zerks?

#21 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 09:18 PM

But they told you it would have zerks?

no i just figured it would have had them .

#22 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 01:58 PM

no i just figured it would have had them .

So they sent it back, no problems?

#23 AV430 OFFLINE  

AV430

• Member No: 2370
  • 53 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 06:28 PM

Gary, did you order your drive shaft from Deere? All the new drive shafts have the Zerk fittings. I am guessing you must have got some old stock. If I were you I would talk to your dealer and make sure the drive shaft you order has the Zerk fittings. Here is the exact part number for the shaft you need. Adam

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0757.JPG
  • IMG_0752.JPG
  • IMG_0756.JPG

#24 rj service OFFLINE  

rj service

• Member No: 3294
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 04:10 PM

Long story short will I be able to get a flange that will bolt up to my kohler M18QS(M Eighteen QS) if it is different 1 series or is it the same flange?
As to to other end that connect to my peerless hyro is the replacement JD shaft ( with zerks)3/4" round with 3/16" key way?
My none JD tractors( yes I own two) that has nonzerks are both needing ujoints so can I buy just Ujoint assembles
Thanks for posting Pics with part numbers because my Lake City Mi (Volkers) has just gave a $200 for just the shaft and now like a part # for kohler fly wheel flange#??????

#25 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 12, 2011 - 04:31 AM

The JDparts site should tell you if the original shaft was substituted for a new part number. Sometimes there is a note on the parts list or diagram explaining what the changes are. On my 314, which doesn't use U joints, the new shaft couplers use set screws and the old ones use a pin. There are also serial no. indications when parts change during production.
Deere likes to try to hide the details in the parts diagrams. They distort sizes of parts and placements and leave out multiple parts sometimes. This is frustrating and makes it hard to figure out how things go together. They seem obsessed with people not being able to reverse engineer stuff to the point of making the diagrams more difficult to use. I must say however that their parts network and support for these older machines is first rate. Sorry for the rant!

#26 rj service OFFLINE  

rj service

• Member No: 3294
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 12, 2011 - 10:32 AM

My Lawnboy GT18H and its look alike Ford LGT18H both are the same except paint job and ID plates... Both have a M18QS twin Kolher Mag.(Spec.#24597) and both tractor have the same 1" center block and 4pins that are -5/8"press in pins (into 1' center block) and bronze bushing (press into drive shaft yoke)that complete a U-joint assemble a NON-Servicable not greasable U-joint...I have been for two years trying to get a U-jiont assemble and greasable (another plus but not manatory for it has 25 years of use but would be nice)!!! #1---But is that stub shaft that mt local JD dealer wants $225 and the $200 upgraded greasable the only way???Question 2 ---does the Kohler KT stub also fit my M18QS series kohler because the Onan stub does have 4 bolt but different spacing so Onan and Kohler stubs are NOT interchangable???
But thanks all for showing me a light at the end by their is a repair for the two great working tractors except the GT18H has one Vibrating drive shaft

Edited by rj service, May 12, 2011 - 10:37 AM.
Editting ----My Bad