Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Massey MF10 / MF12 Peerless transmission shifter parts.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 08:31 AM

I wanted to post an update now that it is all back together. It is extremely easy to find 2nd gear now and it stays in gear just fine. All gear positions now feel solid when you shift in to them. I found my first gear lockout piece but I need to fix the bolt hole in the sheet metal seat pan, looks like someone ripped the old one out. Will probably try and do that this weekend as I would like to have it on there for the plow day.

#32 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 10:23 AM

Great thread George. I'm sure this info will come in handy during my rebuild!

#33 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 10:09 PM

I have a new-to-me MF12G that I am going to have to do some work to. One of the problems is that oil is leaking out near the axle shaft on the right hand side. It looks like there is an oil seal in the transmission case, is there any oil seal at the outboard end of the axle shaft near the hub? Or will I have to remove an axle extension peice to get at the transmission to replace the seal?

Thanks,
Howard

#34 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 04:54 AM

I have a new-to-me MF12G that I am going to have to do some work to. One of the problems is that oil is leaking out near the axle shaft on the right hand side. It looks like there is an oil seal in the transmission case, is there any oil seal at the outboard end of the axle shaft near the hub? Or will I have to remove an axle extension peice to get at the transmission to replace the seal?

Thanks,
Howard

It is only the seal at the case where the axle tube meets. John Deere sells the seals and gaskets for a good price too. If you do a search and find my thread about replacing the detent balls I have the part numbers listed in there.

#35 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 09:37 PM

It is only the seal at the case where the axle tube meets. John Deere sells the seals and gaskets for a good price too. If you do a search and find my thread about replacing the detent balls I have the part numbers listed in there.

Hi George,
This is the thread where you rebuilt your transmission. I think it should be a sticky. Lots of awesome information.
Howard

#36 greencoach47 OFFLINE  

greencoach47

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 3236
  • 8 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 11:59 PM

Thank you George for this great post as I recieved my parts for this job from Jacks in the mail today. I don't know that my trans needs the work but it was recomended that I do this before I reinstall the unit back on the tractor. I as well have never tackled a similar job so thanks again.

#37 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 04:08 AM

Hi George,
This is the thread where you rebuilt your transmission. I think it should be a sticky. Lots of awesome information.
Howard

Thanks Howard, I need to do a write up and make it an article under the how to section of the site. Time has not been my friend as of late though.

#38 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 04:08 AM

Thank you George for this great post as I recieved my parts for this job from Jacks in the mail today. I don't know that my trans needs the work but it was recomended that I do this before I reinstall the unit back on the tractor. I as well have never tackled a similar job so thanks again.

That is all that matters to me is that it helps fellow members if they need it :D

#39 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 05:07 AM

Guess I haven't snooped around enough. Where's the how to section, George?

#40 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 05:23 AM

Garden Tractor Talk - How-Tos

You can also get to it by going to the home page and on the right hand side is a section menu.
  • KennyP and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#41 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 05:45 AM

Okay, I found it once before. Need to snoop around in there some more. Thanks.

#42 rjl OFFLINE  

rjl
  • Member No: 12151
  • 12 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Sure enough I had a broken spring and using your part numbers and instructions helped to resolve my problms. I do have one more issue I am wondering if you could assist. When I had the transmission back together I could not turn the drive pully by hand. I started taking it back apart then I noticed the drive pully turned more freely just by loosening the bolts. I have not torqued anything down yet but I know if I do the drive will not turn by hand as it did before. Do I have to split the transmission again or will this free up with use?

#43 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,339 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:47 PM

It sounds like something is in a bind in there. I would open it up just to make sure.

You might be able to turn the pulley with the case loose and go thru the gears, whatever it is might drop into place, but it's probably worth it to make sure all is well with the case apart.

#44 rjl OFFLINE  

rjl
  • Member No: 12151
  • 12 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:52 PM

Once I had things turning I would smack the houseing with a rubber mallet while turning the drive. Then I would use a nut driver to tighten the bolts. I thought it was helping but still seems too tight. After work tomorrow I will open it back up again.
Thank you for the quick reply.

#45 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 08:06 PM

It has been so long and my memory isn't the best since I torn mine apart. I would definitely make sure it spins without binding before trying to run it with it binding. Do you have the gasket that goes between the housing halves?