6 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 09:12 PM

This is on the gas tank mounted carb.  

Starting sometime in the 1980s they started going to a 2 pc suction tube, this the long one that extends to the bottom of the tank. NOT the short tube that goes into the shallow well on top of the tank.

These have a 2pc suction tube, 1/2 brass and 1/2 plastic. 

Question is;  Is there an easy way to get a new replacement plastic tube over the end of the brass portion?

• chieffan said thank you

#2 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 09:51 PM

I broke one last yr and my local mower repair shop got one for me. Scratch or mark the brass tube where the old plastic tube ends and use a heat gun or boiling water to soften up the new one before installing to the mark.
Mike
  • Gtractor, Alc, Lauber1 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 09:59 PM

I've done these before but forget how I did Scratching the brass part to get the plastic part on to the same point I did not think was needed as there is a notch in the brass portion to help lock them on, I thought this was also a "locator"?

• Gtractor, Lauber1, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,292 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 11:24 PM

The top bowl is basically the Float bowl.Once it fills up it spills over back into the tank.The Longer tube is the fuel pickup tube.They do have a small diaphragm fuel pump on the side of the carb some what like a Weed Eater.

You can put the yellow weed eater Tygon fuel line on the puck up tube and a weed eater fuel filter.It will actually filter better especially if the tank has a bit of rust in it.

You'll get 5 to 10 years out of the Tygon fuel line depending on how long you let it sit with gas in it.But it will be easy to fix.Just pop the tank back off and put another hunk of hose on.I like to let the filter lay on the bottom of the tank.Some of the original tubes were pretty short and they would run out of gas even if there was 1/4 tank yet.

Doing this also makes really rusty tanks usable again.The weed eater filter will block darn near 100% of the rust particles.

• TheFarm2004, Gtractor, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 08:07 AM

Great idea Eric.

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 05:04 PM

this one was rusty, I soaked it in battery acid, then a baking soda flush and coated it with Red Kote so rust won't be an issue no more.

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 09:08 AM

good thing that I had  afew of these on hand.. I have done this before but could not remember how I had gotten them onto the brass pipe.  I do not remember having such a hard time with the ones I'd done before, but this time I wrecked 2 new pickup tubes before getting the 3rd one (last one I had, too)  on like it was supposed to be.