7 replies to this topic

#1 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 04:29 PM

I decided to plow the garden today, I had a few surprises along the way. Right at the end of my first pass I hooked a massive rock with the plow. Then when I was almost done, the ball joint on my left tie rod gave out. So I had to pop it back on a few times and finish up.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02772.JPG
  • DSC02773.JPG
  • DSC02774.JPG
  • DSC02779.JPG
  • DSC02781.JPG
  • DSC02782.JPG
  • DSC02783.JPG

• rustyoldjunk, daytime dave, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 05:53 PM

Were you plowing an area that hadn't been plowed before?  The rock didn't look too deep in the ground.

• tinbender7, suburban 12 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 07:58 PM

Wow very lucky for you. Its really pretty easy to break the point off a plow hitting a big one just right. Those big hp tractors like that don't know stop from nothing. We don't have any rocks here, but in my black sand there is clay pockets that will stop you dead, spin you out, and then your sitting on the belly of the frame not moving.

You can temporary fix that tie rod by running a peace of small wire round the arm joint, its just enough to keep it from falling off. Getting new original type ones is hard, look for some heims were they selling stock car or racing parts.  

• tinbender7 and suburban 12 have said thanks

#4 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 08:18 PM

Were you plowing an area that hadn't been plowed before?  The rock didn't look too deep in the ground.

We have had a garden there for years, my brother and I just got plows for our gt's in the last year or so. Before that we just tilled it and never hit it.

Wow very lucky for you. Its really pretty easy to break the point off a plow hitting a big one just right. Those big hp tractors like that don't know stop from nothing. We don't have any rocks here, but in my black sand there is clay pockets that will stop you dead, spin you out, and then your sitting on the belly of the frame not moving.

You can temporary fix that tie rod by running a peace of small wire round the arm joint, its just enough to keep it from falling off. Getting new original type ones is hard, look for some heims were they selling stock car or racing parts.  

That rock stopped me in my tracks and I started to dig in. I'm just going to get a new end, I have one or two laying around somewhere.

Edited by suburban 12, April 20, 2015 - 08:25 AM.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,624 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 08:31 PM

I got Moms done today too. Glad no damage to the plow or the tractor.
  • suburban 12 said thank you

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 05:30 AM

That's some rock !!!!  Was this a spot where you plowed before ?  Never had anything like that in my garden but am always surprised when a football size gets plowed up after 25+ years !  Who put that there lol  

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 07:45 AM

Good job plowing.  It seems that there are always problems.  I'm glad you got the plowing done.

#8 PaulL OFFLINE  

PaulL
  • Member No: 49081
  • 111 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 01:05 AM

Up in the Adirondacks of NY we seem to grow rocks. The frost pushes them a little higher each year until they are within range to be harvested by the tiller.