fuel filter gas

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oz10k OFFLINE  

• Member No: 69705
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 01:37 PM

The lawn tractors I've owned have always been gravity feed.  I've now got a Simplicity Regent, which I believe uses a fuel pump.  It won't start, and there are a few things I just don't understand.  So I’m hoping I can get some education here.  

The tractor is only a year old.  Last year to prep it for the winter I disconnected the in-line fuel filter, with the expectation of draining the tank.  Very little gas drained, even though you could see some in the tank.  So I just ran it until it stopped, then reconnected the filter and added some gas stabilizer.

Yesterday I added a gallon of fresh gas and tried to start it.  It almost starts, but never runs.  Looking it over, I noticed that the in-line fuel filter is pretty much empty.  Shouldn't I see a good amount of gas in it?

Now here's where I need some training.  The fuel pump is on the B&S engine.  My understanding is that this is a "pulse pump".  Is that pump really expected to be able to pull fuel all the way from the tank?

The fuel line running to the tank enters at the top of the tank.  So I know I need more than gravity to get gas from the tank to the fuel filter.

After draining gas from the filter line, do I need to prime the pump?  If so, how?

Thanks for your help,

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 02:43 PM

Blow into the fuel tank using a rag and air hose is what I do.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 6,364 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 03:39 PM

Filter does NOT have to be full and at times can look like it is empty and it still runs fine. That pulse pump should pull the gas fine, long as it is still pulsing and good hoses on it, which it should be for 1 yr. old tractor. You can slip the hose off that goes to carb and crank and should get plenty of gas if working. Some new engines have those fuel shut-off switches on the fuel bowls of carbs. Yours have that?  Still hooked up OK? Maybe it is not sensing fuel or not turning on?  You check the fuses if any on tractor? Sometimes a dry carb can be just as bad as leaving gas in them for long time. If gas was sticky or such, maybe the float needle is stuck and not dropping down to let in the gas? All your safety switches in right places to start?  MIght have to be sitting in seat even to make it go?

• boyscout862, TomLGT195 and Auburn David have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,477 Thanks
  • 7,354 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 05:09 PM

Welcome to GTT. IT may have been the fuel stabilizer or water in the tank causing problems. Sometimes you just have to play with it and wait a day then try again. Many times it will start the second day. The ethanol will clean the water up a little. I prefer to use a little Marvel Mystery oil in the gas. For winter shutdown run the tank out of gas. The Marvel leaves a light coating to resist corrossion. Change the oil and remove the battery to a heated area. Good Luck, Rick

#5 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8702
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 05:22 PM

:welcome:  Try poring a little gas in the carb and see if it will start if so you may just want to keep doing that till it has pulled gas out of the tank. Good luck and were in Illinois are i'm in Joy, IL.

• Auburn David said thank you

#6 larrybl ONLINE  

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 3,236 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 09:17 PM

Year Old? Fuel lines should ne ok. Pulse pump connects between the gas tank and carb, it also has a second connection to the block to provide the "pulse". All connections need to be tight and good hoses. Any leaks, no fuel flow. Older than a year I would change the ethanol damaged lines.