• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 player92my3 OFFLINE  

player92my3

• Member No: 5087
  • 1 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 12:44 PM

Usaual hydros are better due to the fact they can have a constant controlled speed, i know my '72 ford hydro has pulled a bronco 2. lol

#17 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the info guys! good stuff!!!!!

#18 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 09:22 AM

if you can find a dodge dart carries,and fine spline axels,man thats the set up to pull with there,that dart carrier will fit into a stock cun rear end with the help of a grinder,or a spool set up.but for a budget puller likek me,fine spline axels and carrier are the way to go

#19 randmgraham OFFLINE  

randmgraham

• Member No: 6342
  • 4 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 12:10 AM

hey tractor mike what kinda plow do u have behind lil red there btw i like the tricycle massey

#20 kent OFFLINE  

kent

• Member No: 6537
  • 1 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 09:19 AM

I have pulled about 600-700 lb with my little 80 hydro not in a pulling situation but it still pulled it

#21 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted October 28, 2011 - 06:50 PM

New here guys, but not new to hydraulics and I hope I can add a little practical theory to someone considering hydro pulling. Getting HP to the ground is much like links in a chain-weakest brakes first. In a hydraulic system relief valves (and RV setting) is there to protect the pump from breaking. It also protects other components in the same way, by dumping pump flow to tank when pressure (resistance) reaches the RV setting. If we could observe a gauge on the hydro as weight is added (again resistance) at the drawbar, this would tell us that we can increase that load by increasing RV setting accordingly. In this manner we can "tune" the hydro to match the
strength of other components in the drive chain. Example: My Gravely Pro 350 uses twin Hydro-Gear pumps rated at 1000PSI Continuous duty, yet factory RV setting
is 400PSI. Granted, final drive is wheel motor, not hydro, but the same "tuning" can be had with those hydros capable of swapping valve springs. A big advantage to a hydro is that it performs the job of the clutch as well as the tranny in bringing in the power. And as was mentioned earlier as "rigid" as the hydraulics can be, they offer a cushioning effect that might save an axle when the tires hook hard. I'm not a puller (not yet) but if I were, I think I'd do some testing with an appropriate hydro to see what could happen. It might save a clutch, axle etc. ----The old racing rule: :To finish first, First you have to finish.--
  • tractorgarden and FilledTires have said thanks

#22 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 28, 2011 - 10:31 PM

well i can say this, my little bolens h14 that i had towed a suzuki grand vitara 4x4 up a hill at 3/4 throttle effortlessly. and yet my bolens g14 that i had drug a wheel horse 855 out of my mud pit with turf tires. the wheel horse didnt tow since the trans got fried and i know those ags were digging deep on the horse. so ive had good luck with both hydro and gears. i think hydros are generally better for doing what there meant to do. and it always seems to me that if you do maintenance anything lasts just about forever whether its geared or hydro.

#23 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 07:12 AM

:pushmower:Got to share this " wouldn't have believed it, if I hadn't seen it" story. A friend bought a trackless train for pulling kids around a pumpkin patch this fall for 6 weeks ending next week. He needed a volunteer engineer, and I "won" the job. To my astonishment the Locomotive shell was built over a Craftsman PVG9000 LAWNMOWER frame, with a 28HP Briggs and G730 Hydro-Gear transaxle. The first picture to cross my mind was that of hydraulic oil, and parts laying on the ground. Built for hard, flat surface pulling, no way was this going to pull along a rough, graded road with grade. I offered my opinion which was its not "if" , but only "when" it breaks.

Here are the numbers. Mower is identical to a CC GX1054 (except engine). Operating manual says max loading with travel up a 15% grade would be 902lbs by my calculations and its pulling, daily, 3500 lbs. This includes 300 lbs rear wheel ballast plus my 190lbs., 4 "cars" with 10 pre-schoolers and 3 adults. The ground is graded with SB2 gravel packed, rutted mostly and some wheel-slip occurs. I've blown the drive belt twice, tranny is growling but its still moving. Hydro-Gear specs say max axle bearing load is 665lbs and we have over 800. Granted once moving this is a rolling load, but I'm amazed its holding up thus far.
  • tractorgarden said thank you