27 replies to this topic

#16 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 12:35 AM

I'm in the process of the same swap on my '76 SS18. I used the stock intake and the adapter to mount the Nikki carb.

Attached Thumbnails

• Suburban SS18.jpg
  • Suburban SS18.jpg 2 5 2 2015.jpg

• MNGB said thank you

#17 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 985 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 04:33 PM

Hi Onanparts, may I ask why you converted to the Nikki carb, great thread very informative I like the pics showing the changes.

• jabelman said thank you

#18 Onanparts OFFLINE  

Onanparts
  • Member No: 69344
  • 94 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 09:54 PM

Hi Onanparts, may I ask why you converted to the Nikki carb, great thread very informative I like the pics showing the changes.

Thanks! 

Even though I'm doing a repower on it later this summer, have a thread on that here. An Onan to Onan repower! Anyway, I've had a lot of inquiries about using an updated and affordable carb and fuel pump to replace the older Marvel DD series ones. Been a project on the back burner a few years and long overdue to git er done!

• MNGB said thank you

#19 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 985 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 10:36 PM

Hi did you find an improvement in running and idle of the engine with the Nikki vs the MS? I watched the video and it was running very nice.

Thanks

#20 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 07:24 AM

How much do new Nikki carbs cost, I can buy Marvel Shebler's all day for $259- $299? Are they that cheap to go through the conversion? If you're using used carbs aren't you just rolling the dice? I guess I'm a bit confused. I was looking into the same swap when I had my 1855 MF with the B48M, because on Ebay the MS carbs were $500 +, but ASAP sells them every day for under $300.

#21 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 985 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 07:01 PM

Hi toppop52, I think that $300.00 is way too much for a carb I wouldn't even consider one for $150.00, I'll paid $267.00 for the SS16 with a plow blade. The Nikki carbs are more available on e bay for a lot less money then the MS ones and I think the Nikki is a better carb main reason I haven't converted to one is I don't have and air cleaner for one.

#22 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 07:37 PM

When I was looking into the swap the intake, gaskets and carb came to about the same as the MS carb, so I just took the easy route. But if you have a cheap supply I understand.

#23 indslpwr04 OFFLINE  

indslpwr04
  • Member No: 71143
  • 26 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 09:26 AM

I just bought all the parts off ebay for putting the factory nikki carb and intake from a JD 318 on mine. Then i go and start up the old girl last month for the first cut of the season and realized that i had in fact fixed my idle surging problem last fall.  

• MNGB said thank you

#24 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 985 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 01:37 PM

Hi indslpwr04, so how does the Nikki carb work does the Onan run / idle nice with it, and how did you fix the surging last fall?

#25 indslpwr04 OFFLINE  

indslpwr04
  • 26 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 10:13 AM

MNGB.  I haven't put the new carb and intake on yet. Its running too good to mess with.   I had an issue with the choke cable clamp on the underside of the carb being missing.  I just had the cable zip tied and it wasn't locating it correctly.  So i made a new clamp and adjusted the cable to the correct length so it would run with the choke knob all the way in and the choke butterfly open.  I have also done a complete rebuild on the carb with a brass float.  I also shot an entire can of SEAFOAM spray through it.  As well as a can of in tank SEAFOAM out of frustration.  Smoked out the garage pretty good that day.  Really with a carb and engine thats over 35 years old you just got to tweak the needle valves occasionally.  I have found that it really likes running with a thick oil in it.  I run a 50/50 mix of Lucas oil stabilizer and 30 weight.  

• MNGB said thank you

#26 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 985 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 12:14 PM

Hi inslpwer04, thanks for the reply, I fully understand about not messing with if it running good. mine likewise I've been thur the carb on mine an installed brass float, still ha an issue with not running real goo and not wanting to start if it sat for a week or so, I installed an electric  fuel pump and 97% of the problems went away it still doesn't idle the way I'd like it to but runs really good above idle so I put up with it.

#27 indslpwr04 OFFLINE  

indslpwr04
  • 26 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 02:18 PM

I have my idle set a little high.  Mine improved greatly when i replaced the mechanical vacuum fuel pump with a new one.  I also have replaced the points and plugs.  I think im running the main needle screw about twice what the factory setting says too.  Remember these things were originally designed to run on stronger leaded gas.  Mine can sit all winter in the garage and fire withing 5 sec of cranking.

#28 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 06:50 PM

The new carb I put on mine didn't need adjusting so I left the plastic cap in place. I still need a new points condenser, and re-do the timing cover seal, (and see if the company that built the muffler can modify it to fit under the hood), but for now it is running good. Here is the oversize muffler, and with pepper shakers.

https://www.youtube....h?v=b26erKX8JDs

https://www.youtube....h?v=plCnsUhQ4bg