12 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 10:09 AM

What happened to the tractor market in 1953, 1954, and or 1955?  I was looking through my serial number log for the Waterloo tractors and noticed I don't have a 1954 model.  Whats more, I noticed they made less than 1/2 the number of tractors between Jan 1953 to Jan 1955 as they did in any of the previous or following years.  I know that Simpson's and Sears merged in 1953.  Before the merger, Simpson's sold Waterloo made tractors through their catalog system while Sears sold the David Bradley.  That might explain the dip in 1953 / 1954, but why the bounce in 1955? 

Date                      SN

Apr 50                 1094

Jul 50                  1260    (166 in 3 months or 55/month)

Jan 52                 3877    (2617 in 18 month or 145/month)

Jan 53                 4646    (769 in 12 months or 64/month)

Jan 55                 5367    (721 in 24 months or 30/month)

Feb 55                 6158    (791 in 1 month)

• IamSherwood, tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 10:27 AM

Interesting question. That is when the Korean War ended and some of Eisenhowers' Projects really got underway. It is also when many countries were finally getting a good standard of living after recovering from WWII. Much of europe had food rationing and shortages for many years after the war. I would think it was a time when many people were able to finally cash in their war bonds too. That would have allowed a lot of "luxury" items(as opposed to hand tools).

1955 is when my dad bought his first tractor. It is a Ford 800 with a loader and a backhoe. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 19, 2015 - 10:28 AM.

• Alc, IamSherwood, Lauber1 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,637 Thanks
  • 7,672 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 10:54 AM

Somewhere in the 50s they had a bad recession.

• Lauber1, boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 12:01 PM

In my Bolens dealer literature I have one dated 1953 that talks about a shortage in Raw materials.....

• Gtractor, Alc, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,622 Thanks
  • 3,916 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 12:44 PM

1958 was the short but severe recession.  If you look at auto sales they took a real big hit for '58.  Doesn't help that Ford and Chevy tried to make the ugliest cars they could possibly make that year.  :(

Could have been any number of factors causing low sales. ????

• Lauber1, boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 12:53 PM

There was something that happened to industry right at the end of the Korean war. It affected about everything. I've seen stories about how Lionel trains just about went under making toys, reports on shortages of steel and other raw goods, and it wasn't just here it seemed to be world wide. I would guess it was about the world having to make an adjustment to not being at war, and a lot of places trying to play catch up on their finances.  My English friends tell me they had rationing for 8 yrs after WWII on a lot of things and their governments wanted them to export as much as they could to get money back into the banks.

• Gtractor, Alc, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 01:05 PM

1958 was the short but severe recession.  If you look at auto sales they took a real big hit for '58.  Doesn't help that Ford and Chevy tried to make the ugliest cars they could possibly make that year.  :(

They certainly were the ugliest Chevys and Chryslers but the fords weren't bad(except the edsels and tbirds). How did they go from the 57 Belair to such ugliness?
  • Gtractor, trowel, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 2 others have said thanks

#8 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 03:15 PM

I lifted this from a article about building a subway in Toronto ...... Steel was supplied by companies including the Dominion Steel & Coal Company and Bethlehem Steel Corporation. However, Canada’s increasing involvement in the Korean War through the early 1950s and plans to construct the St. Lawrence Seaway again put a strain on steel supplies and spiked steel prices.

So many tractors and old engines were consumed by the scrap drives it is a wonder there is anything left .This explains the trade in recent years of old Canadian engines going to the UK and Europe. This might fit in with a post you did earlier about the quality control of old tractors  , probably the plants which in wars years ran non stop were suffering from worn tooling. Maybe new lathes and mills were " rationed " for a while . For sure 1958 had a 8 month recession .I have seen ration paper disks , for food stuffs . Very interesting article Mark. Cheers Mike

• Gtractor, Alc, Lauber1 and 4 others have said thanks

#9 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,886 Thanks
  • 2,793 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 04:20 PM

They certainly were the ugliest Chevys and Chryslers but the fords weren't bad(except the edsels and tbirds). How did they go from the 57 Belair to such ugliness?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ,  is indeed a true statement . Although I do think the '57 was the best looking chevy I did not find the '58 to be appalling  and wished I owned a '58 impala the '59 on the other hand not so much. Hank

• boyscout862 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#10 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 04:59 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ,  is indeed a true statement . Although I do think the '57 was the best looking chevy I did not find the '58 to be appalling  and wished I owned a '58 impala the '59 on the other hand not so much. Hank

When new, the noses of my 55, 56, and 57 Chevy trucks look alot better than the noses of my 58 GMC and my 59 Apache 4 x 4. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 19, 2015 - 04:59 PM.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 08:09 PM

I was thinking on this post today when plowing, and remember that when I used to restore trucks, ones before 54 had way thicker metal in them. You had to beat the crap out a dent in an older unit and the 54 and up you could make a new dent just by pushing the panel with your finger.

I kind of feel for the European guys trying to collect stuff there, as after 2 world wars on basically the same ground, its a wonder there is any thing left to restore. I know this has fueled the movement by them to bring machines over from the states, as they have vast areas where vintages of tractors are completely gone. Even finding horticultural equipment from the 30's is a tall order, as most of there stuff was turned into weapons.

• Alc, Mike Unwin and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 08:52 PM

that is, until 1961.... Ford, Lincoln, Plymouth, and Chevy had some NASTY looking cars that year. fortunately at least with Plymouth it was a 1 year only deal....  in 58 they actually had a pretty cool looking car. ("Christine")

• Gtractor and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#13 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 08:18 AM

Maybe it was nothing to do with Waterloo but more to do with what the competition was doing year to year .Can you bring some to Keene this year ? Cheers Mike

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you