#1 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 09:57 AM

After complaining most of the winter I have finally decided to replace my old s-10 so I look around and find a little Colorado used that I like in my price range. go look at it get everything all sorted out even go to the bank and get the check, the dealer says I can take the truck then bring it back for the work it needs. new plugs wires and the like and replace a tail light nothing major but I still say no way. you fix the truck then I pay. back and forth we go they wont do anything till I pay and I wont give them the check till it is fixed, finally get it all figured out I leave a $500 deposit and they would do the work. I was supposed to go get my truck sat morn but the dealer called to tell me the motor in it was bad, one of the cylinders is flooded with oil and they don't want to replace the engine it will cost to much, cant say I blame them.
Now I am really irritated, If I had left the check I don't know what I would have done. I need to get my $500 back and still look for a truck !!!! what would have happened if I had brought the truck home ? You would think they would look better at the vehicles they are selling. Got all worked up to have a new truck and everything !!! Now nothing. oh well I guess it will work out for the best I just wanted to vent a bit.
Pete
  • hamman, wvbuzzmaster, trowel and 6 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 10:03 AM

Yah that sucks. They should give you back the deposit with no problem. I would look for a larger dealer (not knowing which one or how big it is) that you were dealing with. I try to stay with dealers who service what they sell, that's buying new or used. Good luck.                                                                                       Roger

• tinbender7, boyscout862, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 10:22 AM

Sounds fishy to me. I would not deal with that dealer again. I think you did the right thing to stick to your principles and not pay before things are fixed. I would say it is most unusual for a dealer to not repair defects in a vehicle before you take delivery. You are better off with a different vehicle. 

• Gtractor, hamman, tinbender7 and 6 others have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 10:33 AM

They were trying to set you up. It was supposed to blow in your possession. Get your deposit and stay away from them. It is sad but, I have learned not to trust any salesmen. I get my vehicles very cheap from private owners and then fix them up to use them. Good Luck, Rick
  • hamman, oldedeeres, Bill 76 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,633 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 10:50 AM

Maybe you could get it for the $500.

• hamman, Lauber1, pigsitter and 2 others have said thanks

#6 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 11:29 AM

If a cylinder was flooded with oil it would at least of been blowing smoke, if not running right at all. Sounds like he they didn't get the upper hand this time. Try to find reviews of the dealers before even considering shopping there.
Hope you find what you need from an "Honest" used car dealer.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#7 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 12:08 PM

Are you going try and renegotiate the sale or just get your deposit back? Not everyones thing to swap in a rebuilt engine but also depends on how much you can grind the price down.  In the current condition the truck is not worth much and if they were not willing to do what little work it required before offering it for sale I can't see them dropping a used engine in the truck

Good Luck

#8 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 12:24 PM

Or he figures he sold the truck too cheap and is looking to get out of the deal. He probably still had the truck on the lot and somebody came along and offered more money and he sold it out from under you. Cylinders don't just suddenly flood with oil. I assume you drove the truck before hand, you would have noticed something.

Either way this guy is bad news and stay away. Far far away.

I went through something similar with a dealer just last week. I ended up finding a truck I liked better for about the same money. And this was after the guy had given me his word, not one time, but two times. So far he's 0 for 2.

If you're bored, you can read about in my post "Used Truck Deal Gone South".
  • oldedeeres and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#9 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,619 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 12:36 PM

If a cylinder was flooded with oil you'd have known.  Blue smoke and missing on one cylinder would have been obvious. 

I say someone else was interested in the pickup and they got more money out of the other guy.  They are pullin' your chain.

Don't do any business with them!

Not sure how it works where you are but in Missouri where we still have "safety inspections" the dealer is required by law to provide the inspection.  If they passed the vehicle with a taillight not working they lose their inspection license for one year and get a $5,000 fine.  With a taillight out his sales tactic wouldn't have worked.  Maybe your state doesn't have those inspections?  Lots of states have given up on safety inspections because they are a such a joke. 

If the Colorado had the 5 cylinder you are better off letting someone else feed it.  The president of our local tractor club had an S-10 for years.  He put 325,000 miles on it and got to thinking it would lay down on him at any time.  Traded it in on a new Colorado with the 5 cylinder and it got half the gas mileage the S-10 with the 4.3 did.  Both were 4X4 ext. cab.  He and I both serve on the local museum board and he always drives his Silverado 2500 4X4 crew to the meetings which for him is well over 50 miles round trip. I asked him where is the Colorado and he said the 6.0 in the big pickup uses the same fuel and rides better.  :(

Brother-N-law,  who has been a diehard Chevy guy for decades bought a new Colorado.  Had it 8 months and been a Ford owner ever since. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#10 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 01:00 PM

If a cylinder was flooded with oil you'd have known.  Blue smoke and missing on one cylinder would have been obvious. 

What I said.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 02:55 PM

I hate to say this.  Almost all "used" car only dealers are crooked in one way or another.  If you want decent service and "honesty" buying a car pick a large new car dealer with a good stock of used cars.  I've had so many bad experiences buying vehicles from mom and pop car dealers.

Sorry for your bad luck.  Luckily you didn't give them the check and drive home in a vehicle with a problem.

I know some of the Colorado had a problem with the heads.  A valve seat.  That caused a misfire that may or may not be felt.

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#12 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 03:40 PM

I looked the truck all over and took it for a test drive, it had a noise that I pointed out. sounded like a cracked manifold to me, I pointed it out two or three times they said it was the noise of the truck.  I was going to take it to my mechanic first thing to have it looked at.  to be fair I spotted the truck in their yard and worked the deal with them before they had a chance to look it thru, they had just taken it in on trade.  but they told me it was just the noise of the truck. 

I drove that truck for awhile and never noticed anything but the noise at an idle, didn't smoke or anything.  at least they were honest and told me about the trouble and didn't try to pawn it of on me.  More irritated about  the fact I didn't get my truck.  I did find a great deal on a full size truck where my wife works.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 03:45 PM

Hopefully the deal will work out with the other truck. Seems like most people are just plain crooked.

#14 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 03:56 PM

I really don't think these guys are crooked, just stupid and in a hurry to sell the truck!!  they were honest with me about the engine, I was more irritated about the check.  they were so insistent about getting the check that they weren't even paying attention to me or the truck.    way more concerned about the money than the truck.  thanks for the sympathy fellas.  I really just needed to vent this morning.

Pete

#15 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,885 Thanks
  • 2,793 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 04:33 PM

I have a 2002 Silverado I bought new 5.3 v8 226000 mi runs like its new mobil 1 oil changes since new.
  • petrj6 said thank you