#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,207 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 10:42 PM

I have a 1947 Farmall H tractor with the single front wheel, I bought it cheap just the way it is. I did do some minor carb adjustments and the old thing runs like NEW!. It sat all winter by the highway at a friends house (trying to sell it), I stuck a battery in it this spring and it barely turned over and started right up. It then drove 5 miles home without missing a beat.

I have been trying to sell this tractor for about a year now and no one wants it. I'm selling it for $1500 FIRM which I don't think is to bad.

Anyway, I have decided to keep it, I'm going to sell off the tires and the single front. I'm planing on putting tracks on it, I'm going to mount a axle (already have one) on the front about at the bell housing / mid engine and I'm going to make the tracks out of old tractor tires with the sidewalls cut off. I have plenty of tires but the biggest tire that i have is I think a 18.5X38 so I will half to hook 2 tires together (end to end) to make it long enough. I'm going to remove the rear tires and change out the rear rims. I have some rims that will work better for what I'm wanting. I'm going to make guides on the under side of the tracks to keep them on, I will also cut down the rear rim so it is only 8 inches wide, I will then rubber coat it with car tires (for traction), the front axle will have tires, I will deflate the front tires, then put the tracks on and then inflate the tires to tighten the tracks. I will also have the front axle on a slide so I can do some adjusting there to.

I added some pictures of the H that I have, I also added a picture of a homemade tractor tire track design that I found (just to show how the tractor tire works) and the last picture is kinda  what I'm going to build, minus the front axle and put the middle axle a little further out.

I already have a 6' dozer blade that has no place to go and I have a 3-pt that I will put on it. This will be used in the garden for plowing, disking, cultivating, planting, bed shaping and ect. I have a Kubota L2000 for my smaller work and I have a Bolens HT23 for smaller work yet.

I'm not going to start on this right now, but it will be a summer project.

Let me know what you think???

Attached Thumbnails

• Farmall H Tractor 001.jpg
  • Farmall H Tractor 002.jpg
  • Farmall H Tractor 003.jpg
  • Farmall H Tractor 004.jpg
  • Tractor Tire Tracks.PNG
  • Farmall Tracks.PNG

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, tractorgarden and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,787 Thanks
  • 5,742 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 12:10 AM

Around here that tractor would sell fast with that single wheel front end. 

• superaben and BTS have said thanks

#3 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • Member No: 69512
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 12:41 AM

It's an awesome thought isnt it? Im thinking along the same lines, somewhat more compact mind you, but close. My question to you is how to keep dirt and debris from collecting inside the tires? Mine are 31/10/50's I think, and btw a skill saw works like a charm for bucking out the sidewalls. Have you considered manfacturing cable wire and tire strip tracks? Time consuming prospect at the least in my view. Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150321_184127.jpg

• BTS said thank you

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,469 Thanks
  • 5,264 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 01:12 AM

The dirt just slides out the slots on the track..

I really like your Tank-tor ya got there!!  That baby will climb trees!!

• BTS and Hobal have said thanks

#5 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,480 Thanks
  • 1,560 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 06:33 AM

That last picture you posted of the Super MTA Diesel is a set of Arps half tracks.  You find that setup on small fords like 2N's quite frequently.  That picture was taken at the Nittany Antique Machinery show at Penns Cave in Centre Hall Pa.  That unit comes almost every year.  A neat setup for sure.

• BTS said thank you

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,822 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 06:45 AM

I have the same problem here also. Can't even give it away. There is a 50's Furgenson half track not far from me. The owner used to skid logs with it but has sat for a number of years now.

Edited by trowel, April 19, 2015 - 06:46 AM.

• BTS said thank you

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,318 Thanks
  • 1,491 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 07:42 AM

When I get no replies to a $1500 FIRM posting, I put it back up at $3500 & take the first lowballer who offers $2,000.

• Cvans and BTS have said thanks

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben

Con Man

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,665 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 07:54 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking.

With that single front wheel, it is a collector tractor.  You might try to put it up on Smokstak or Yesterday's Tractor and see if you get any hits on it if you still want to sell it. 

Ben W.

• BTS said thank you

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,157 Thanks
  • 7,588 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 10:23 AM

Think your nuts to hack-up good tractor.  Hope you can put back like was when you get disgusted on making the things work.  I just sold an MM for less than wished, think it is just the way it is, unless you have some real odd model. H is pretty common. Probly an 800 to 1000 dollar tractor in right moment.  Go to big shows with swap-meets and sell there. Just take whatever you can get and let it go, out of your garage and mind.  Sometimes you just gotta "Let it go" and forget making big bucks on the items.

#10 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,207 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 11:14 AM

It's an awesome thought isnt it? Im thinking along the same lines, somewhat more compact mind you, but close. My question to you is how to keep dirt and debris from collecting inside the tires? Mine are 31/10/50's I think, and btw a skill saw works like a charm for bucking out the sidewalls. Have you considered manfacturing cable wire and tire strip tracks? Time consuming prospect at the least in my view. Any thoughts?

The dirt and debris should work it's way out (I'd think). I have read up a lot on doing this style of track and no one has ever said they had problems with anything getting between the track and tires. So I guess I'll see when i get it built, hopefully it should all work out. I use a Reciprocating saw to cut tires, also I use a chain saw if I'm cutting a lot of them (only cutting sidewalls so there are no wires). I thought of a tire chain type of a track, but I think the tire will be the easiest. I'll start a build thread this summer when I get started on it. I'm thinking it shouldn't take to long to build this because there's not much to it.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

With that single front wheel, it is a collector tractor.  You might try to put it up on Smokstak or Yesterday's Tractor and see if you get any hits on it if you still want to sell it. 

Ben W.

I have had this on Yesterdays Tractor for a year now and still nothing. I would of thought the single wheel would be worth something too.

I have the same problem here also. Can't even give it away. There is a 50's Furgenson half track not far from me. The owner used to skid logs with it but has sat for a number of years now.

WOW, I'd look in to that Ferguson!!! maybe you can ship the tracks my way :smilewink: :D

• trowel and superaben have said thanks

#11 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,207 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 11:59 AM

Think your nuts to hack-up good tractor.  Hope you can put back like was when you get disgusted on making the things work.  I just sold an MM for less than wished, think it is just the way it is, unless you have some real odd model. H is pretty common. Probly an 800 to 1000 dollar tractor in right moment.  Go to big shows with swap-meets and sell there. Just take whatever you can get and let it go, out of your garage and mind.  Sometimes you just gotta "Let it go" and forget making big bucks on the items.

I have parted out LOTS of very nice running tractors without a thing wrong with them. I figure If it's worth a easy $1500 in parts, then why sell it for a $1000 complete? I'll just part it out and get my money that way. A good running engine like what's in this tractor is worth a fair amount non the less the rear tires.
If I sell this complete for next to nothing and loose money on it, then my business isn't going to make it long!. Besides, when I convert it to tracks I'm going to sell off everything I don't need, like tires, front end, lights (ect) and I will make about 90% of my money back on it, and I will have a tractor to work here in the garden (garden is around 1 acre and growing).

If I would ever want to take this back to "original" (which I never will) all I will need to do is unbolt the mid axle from the sub frame, put a front end under it and put on some rims and tires on the back. there are going to be no other modifications.