Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Homemade implements

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jwinfrey OFFLINE  

jwinfrey

• Member No: 2378
  • 2 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 08:08 PM

Has anyone converted some old horse drawn stuff to 3 point. Such as plows and listers?

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 748 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 09:02 PM

I used an old horse plow for may first plow to handle 2 acres of sweet corn back in "78 when I bought my 1855 Brand New.
Man that was a lot of $$$$$ back then. Tractor, tiller, blower, and 50" deck, If I can remember right it was right in the neighborhood of $3800. Buy that kind of iron new today and it is clear why we do what we do!

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 14,199 Thanks
  • 21,155 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 09:56 PM

Many of the implements we used on the farm were originally horse drawn. The one I remember best was the hay rake. Had some obscene number of grease fittings. The other was the the old weeder, rode that many times behind the tractor. I think I remember Dad cutting the tongue off that... I was young, but I was around.

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 2,518 Thanks
  • 3,127 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 09:58 PM

There is an old Drag Harrow leaning against the back fence 3 sections. One will be pulled with my 318 this year. As to whether it will be set up for 3 point or pulled with a chain tongue(like we did in the 60's) the jury is still out?

#5 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,249 Thanks
  • 1,467 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 10:26 PM

I would suggest 3pt that way you can raise it. My frist expeirence with a pul type almost killed me when it snagged a small root just below the surface.

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 748 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 10:34 PM

There is an old Drag Harrow leaning against the back fence 3 sections. One will be pulled with my 318 this year. As to whether it will be set up for 3 point or pulled with a chain tongue(like we did in the 60's) the jury is still out?

Hey JD go for the 3PT hook. I tried both ways and 3PT was by far the best. I built a tool bar and used chains to attach the drag section. Plan on using the tool bar for other things as well.

#7 jwinfrey OFFLINE  

jwinfrey

• Member No: 2378
  • 2 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 04:19 PM

i was looking at a horse drawn plow sitting in dads barn and the thought came to me to convert to 3 pt and i just wondered if anyone had tryed it sounds like alot have. Thanks guys

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 11,979 Thanks
  • 25,461 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 06:07 PM

If I were where you are, I'd probably be pondering the same question,'Will it work?'. How big of a plow is it?

KennyP

#9 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 465 Thanks
  • 938 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 06:59 PM

We've pulled a bunch rake behind a tractor a fair bit. It's kind of like a carnival ride. Not on a 3pth though. My grandfather pulled us on an old plough to plant potatoes...at least until my grandmother caught him at it...but I'm not sure if that was originally designed for horses or not. I know at least 1/4 section at the farm was broken with a plough for horses pulled behind a tractor (my great-grandfather's 8N), but that wasn't converted, just chained on.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 2,518 Thanks
  • 3,127 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 09:50 PM

Ah yes and mine too! Pulling 4 sections with a Massey Harris 44, turned too short hooked the chain in the tire lugs and had it almost in the seat with me when I got stopped.
I only weighed 105 lbs and was in the field by myself. You can imagine the trouble I had getting it back on the ground and finishing the job!
Chain Tongue would be a last option.

#11 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

Always Tinkering on something

• Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 255 Thanks
  • 1,063 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 07:32 AM

Just thought you might want to see one that I converted to 3 pth.It works really well only thing is i'll maybe change this spring is the angle of the landslide.Larry.

Attached Thumbnails

• Digital camera pi&.jpg
  • Digital camera pi&.jpg
  • Digital camera pi&.jpg

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 2,518 Thanks
  • 3,127 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 08:20 AM

Massey Driver: That's a nice conversion.

#13 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 11,979 Thanks
  • 25,461 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 05:37 AM

Looks good, my only concern is if the adjustment rod you have. I probably would have used a larger thread size setup there. But if it works, go for it.
KennyP

#14 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

Always Tinkering on something

• Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 255 Thanks
  • 1,063 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 07:31 AM

Looks good, my only concern is if the adjustment rod you have. I probably would have used a larger thread size setup there. But if it works, go for it.
KennyP

That rod is a tie rod off a snowmobile.It's only purpose is to add a bit of strength as the beam doesn't pivot where it's mounted to the cross bar with the lift pins.Any adjustment to tip it back and forth is made with the 3 pth's top link. I wasn't sure if I really needed it but added it in just to make sure it wouldn't twist.Larry

#15 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 11,979 Thanks
  • 25,461 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 07:59 AM

Okay, that explains it. Thanks.