• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Z_Steel OFFLINE  

Z_Steel
  • Member No: 69666
  • 9 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 02:09 PM

Hello everyone, new member to the forum here. Been reading post and researching here for a while, and have recently acquired a Bolens 1455. Some of you are at least a little bit responsible that, if it weren't for the forums I would have prob not decided to tackle this project. Tons of helpful info! Now the tractor(pics will follow as soon as I figure that part out).It was running although very rough when I got it, the previous owner had done some creative wiring to say the least. After getting a diagram and rewiring, I believe the factory ignition system is bad and have purchased a new het ignition system and a carb rebuild for the zenith carb. Someone has messed up the metering tube, but I believe I have gotten it back to it's original shape. Other than those 2 issues it seems to be in excellent condition and doesn't appear to have seen much abuse. Mower deck is missing, so I will he on the look out for one of those. I got a tiller, front blade and harrow rake with it. Once the carb and ignition are rebuilt and I can test it some more the plan is to tear it completely down, repaint, and rebuild, before putting it to work. I plan on at least a head gasket, valves, rings and bearings for the s14d. Are there any common trouble parts that need special inspection? Do pistons usually need replacing on the Wisconsin's. Any additional advice is always welcome!
  • LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, pharmer and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 02:38 PM

Welcome to GTT :wave:

Sounds like a nice machine cant wait to see pics.

Generally these Wisconsins take minimal effort to bring back to life, however you never know what you need until you get inside of it.

If you need any parts for it let me know.

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#3 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 02:45 PM

Welcome!

#4 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,764 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 03:10 PM

Welcome,can't wait to see pics,those are nice machines

#5 Z_Steel OFFLINE  

Z_Steel
  • 9 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 04:09 PM

Thanks guys, I can't seem to find the attachment button. Do I need to be on desktop version?

#6 Z_Steel OFFLINE  

Z_Steel
  • 9 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 04:20 PM

Found it, here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0411151305a.jpg
  • 0411151305.jpg
  • 0411151259c.jpg
  • 0411151258.jpg
  • 0411151307d.jpg
  • 0411151308.jpg

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 04:36 PM

Welcome to GTT. Do the maintenance, rebuild the card, and fix the ignition. If the head gasket isn't leaking don't take it apart yet. Get the engine running and adjust it to specs. If it works pretty good with no worrisome noises then use it. Add Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas (about 1 tablespoon per gallon) and run it. The Marvel will clean the valves, combustion chamber and rings over a summer's use. If you still want to overhaul it, it will save you a bunch of cleanning. Good Luck, Rick

#8 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 04:44 PM

Congrats on the tractor. I would agree with boyscout852 and see if you can just get it running and see how it does. Good luck with it.

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 05:25 PM

Mechanicals first, cosmetics second. A rule I seem to break every time I drag another one home.

#10 Z_Steel OFFLINE  

Z_Steel
  • 9 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 05:44 PM

I will definitely try the marvel oil. I do plan on running it for a little while to see if any problems arise. My plan is to use it to pull logs to the 4 stroke chainsaw mill I'm building. So I figure I would tear it down and do the work to have it ready to haul logs come fall. Am I better off leaving it alone? I realize it's prob never going to be worth what I put in it, but that's still less than half or even a fourth of a new garden tractor and it would pretty much be a new garden tractor. It looks pretty indestructible. I also love to build things so there's that too. If I'm asking for trouble tearing it apart then I'll gladly leave it alone and use it. Just figure if you wait til it goes, more to replace

#11 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 402 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 06:19 PM

I did this one, it looked a lot like yours when I started on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1455-7.jpg

• wilberj and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#12 Z_Steel OFFLINE  

Z_Steel
  • 9 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 07:48 PM

That's an awesome machine deerlope. Hope mine turns out that nice. What muffler did you use? The original was the short round one correct? I'm guessing that is less loud?

#13 Z_Steel OFFLINE  

Z_Steel
  • 9 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 07:50 PM

That's an awesome machine deerlope. Hope mine turns out that nice. What muffler did you use? The original was the short round one correct? I'm guessing that is less loud?

#14 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 10:24 PM

The way Deerlope has installed the muffler is the same way that the factory did. The early Large Frames did not use the short round muffler.

The difference between Deerlope's tractor and the factory install is that the factory also had a perforated metal heat shield over the muffler. If you look at the results of an image search on Google for 1250 or 1455, etc. you will see what I am referring to.

#15 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 402 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 05:10 AM

I think I got the muffler from TSC and it is for a Ford or any 4 cyl tractor. I suppose I should get some perforated metal to make it a complete restore. The fact that we no longer have small children around it why it does not have it on, also the wife won't go near them.