Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Friday evening question, To till or not to till, that is the question.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 07:36 AM

I have Amish farmers close to my area.  I have never seen any of them trying to pull a chisel plow and I doubt that horses could pull more than on or possibly two chisels.  Would take forever to do a field at that rate so I really doubt they use chisel plows.  They do however plow their fields with a plow so I doubt it is the plow that causes hardpan.  Hard pan was not a problem 50 - 60 years ago when equipment was small.  When the tractors started to get larger after the war is when the hard pan became a problem so it is the weight and not the method that causes hardpan.

Edited by chieffan, April 18, 2015 - 07:37 AM.

• propane1 said thank you

#17 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 08:30 AM

I like to plow just because its fun, so I plow. My garden areas started life as yellow clay. I mean the type you can make pottery out of clay. The main garden has been plowed now for about 5 years. I plow under all the garden in the fall. I let it grow whatever weeds it wants over the winter and then plow that under in the spring. After 5 years of this my garden soil is starting to look good. It is no longer yellow, drains well and it crumbles in your hand. Plus I did not have a tiller until last year, we are still working on our relationship. It doesnt always want to run for very long so tilling is hit and miss.

My other garden area has only been worked for about 3 years and it is still nasty. It doesnt drain at all and I believe there are wet weather springs in it. Right now with all the rain we have had this year,there are places that are like quicksand. It looks solid and has a crust on top, until you put any weight on it. Then the tractor tires sink out of site. I bought a new come along this year, 4 tons of pulling power makes it much easier to get them out.

• oldedeeres, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#18 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 09:51 AM

I have poor soil, so until I get it worked up good, lots of organic material down deep, I plan to rototill the heck our of it.  I know turning up soil like this brings up lots of weed seeds that have been in the soil for a long time.   I'll just make sure I cover between rows with lots of grass clippings and straw from the chicken coop.  My garden size this year is 60 x 50.  I'm also planning on building a chicken tractor to use inside the garden, want to use 1/4 of the garden as a chicken run each year.  That will help also with the weeds/fertilizing the soil.  I hope one day to have a nice garden, til then, weed-weed-weed and til-til-til.  IF I ever get the soil to where I want it, I will rototill less and use a sub-soiler for the rows.

• oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks