Starting problem with GT 245

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 huwenfut OFFLINE  

• Member No: 69612
  • 4 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 05:32 PM

I have a GT 245 that I bought new in 2006 to maintain my 15 acre "estate", which has about 5 acres clear.  I have gotten great service from this mower and I have used it hard but always maintained it.  A few months ago a strange thing happened.  When I turned the key on the engine immediately started turning over but not starting.  That is the starter starts turning the engine over as soon as the ignition is turned to on but the engine won't start.  I thought the ignition switch module was defective so I changed it.  It worked for about a month then the same thing happened again.  I replaced the module again and this time it worked for 2 hours.  I am at a loss.  Does anyone have any suggestions. There is only one way the wires can connect and everything looks ok there with no frayed wires or anything.  Is it possible to bypass the ignition module and directly wire it?

• TrevoNiz and Thomasjent have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 07:36 PM

It's pretty hard to get service information for a JD product other than buying it from them. Have you tried searching on the Kawisaki engine model used in the 245. that might get you access to some service info. on the engine. I would look for bad connections in the wiring, including the chassis connections going back to the battery - terminal. Without seeing a diagram I couldn't guess at how you would operate it without the module. If the module has a ground wire going back to the chassis or battery - make sure it's making a good connection. 

I assume that  your battery and charging circuit is operating properly so that you don't have any over voltage situations going on that could damage the module.