40 replies to this topic

#16 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 08:38 AM

Wanted to weigh in on this without going into "rant mode"!!!

It pains me that our society has become so "disposable commodity" minded. Many (not all thankfully...) "dealers" don't want to work on anything more than a few years old - whether its a car, a tractor, a motor, home appliance, etc. They would rather replace it with a new disposable model - one not often built as well as the one you want fixed. - I had a washing machine that lasted through 3 families and over 25 years that was replaced by a piece of @#$@$%  that fell apart in less than 5!!!!!  

I'm sad that we, as consumers let this happen! In theory, we "control" the market with our wallet. When it comes to GT's, I don't buy the new crap and would prefer to refurbish something older and built to last. But in some other areas, I guess I'm just as guilty as most. Buying quality is hard to do or too expensive to accomplish some times. I buy quality tools, I use them a lot. But we have a Harbor Freight in our town - they do a bang up business selling cheap tools and such. A HF ratchet costs a couple bucks, vs up to $60 or so for a good SnapOn or Mac. And I'm SURE it wont last as long as the top shelf one, but hard to justify the added expense to a guy who only uses the thing once a month for little stuff.   

But if you don't work on your own stuff, there are fewer "repairmen" out there who know how and are willing to take on business. No offense intended to anyone in the trade, but we mostly have "parts changers" instead of "mechanics" anymore. Anything more than replacing a couple parts is "unrepairable" or "not worth the cost of repair" and you are steered to the new sales area! There was a time when you were EXPECTED to take care of your own stuff. For example, in the OWNERS (not service!) manual for an old Gravely L model, it explains how to deal with a sticking valve! Now we have a JiffyLube on every corner because most people can't change their own car's oil

Ok.... Stop... Take a breath...... Sorry Guys!!!  :D

Sorry if I stepped on anybody's toes here....

As to the OP - if it is fixable, it probably is something pretty simple or pretty major - not likely in the middle ground. If simple, get a few basic tools and do-it-yourself. You MAY find a new hobby that you enjoy! Questions and "how do I do this" stuff can be found/answered here - I think these guys could walk you through just about any repair, with pictures! Wrenching is not rocket science, it's basically simple stuff. If it's major, it may be beyond what you can/want to deal with, but transaxles are not too difficult to switch out if you take a mind to it.... 

Worst you are going to do is make a broken machine (an "unfixable one" I might add) more broke! But if you fix it......

If your machine is toast (that's a mechanic's term BTW, smile...), don't go buy new, go find an older machine IN GOOD SHAPE, that will last. The older stuff is more durable, lasts longer and was made with fixing in mind! Depending on your needs, a Deere 110, 300, Ford LGT, Cub Cadet, or any number of good solid models built in the 70's - 90's can be had much cheaper than the quoted new prices. And when needed, you can do 90% of the repairs yourself with basic tools.

Best of luck!!!!!

• oldedeeres, propane1 and larisaPn have said thanks

#17 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 04:00 PM

Wondering what happened, did you get it fixed or did you have to do something else ?   Noel 

• oldedeeres said thank you

#18 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 01:44 PM

My neighbour came over yesterday and in approximately 15 minutes he had taken a worn/broken idler off, it appears to be plastic or some sort of composite material. Thanks to the diagram Allen posted he knows what to do and what to order; now we wait for delivery. Funny thing? That was exactly what I had told the first two "repair guys" that I thought it might be. Not that I know anything technical, there may well be more wrong with it, but don't you usually start at the obvious beginning and work your way up to the worst case scenario ?

• olcowhand, MH81, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#19 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 03:03 PM

Well thats good news, you maybe able to get a better made idler from a local mower repair shop.  Noel

• MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 05:03 PM

Glad to hear it's a moving project again.  When you get it done and running... I'd make certain to let the "Mechanic" at location 1 know.

• oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 06:36 PM

Glad to hear it will run again! I'd rub it in with those folks!

#22 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 09:00 PM

Tennblue59 really hit it on the head. Farm tractors, cars, trucks, GT's ,appliances, virtually everything is throw away especially in the eyes of the newer "parts changers". Our "new" Maytag was thirty plus years old when the flood came in 98 here. We have had 3 "top-line" units since then and last weekend the wife said "hey this thing is leaking on the spin cycle" (I'll be tearing into that this weekend) I've been to the truck dealer looking for a solenoid that is no longer listed in their computer for "old stuff" its a 1998 for Pete-sake. I went out on their lot with a salesman who let me open hoods until I found a pick-up with the same solenoid mounted on the fire-wall that was a new enough truck that they could look it up :( 

Mrs oldeeres I am very pleased that you were able to find a friend to help you stand up to the apathetic and disappointing treatment that you received at the hands of local dealers. :rocker:

• massey driver, MH81, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#23 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 01:26 PM

I Happened to get one of these in for repair today and have to say these are pretty nice machines, well built with the Kohler Command.

The belt routing seems a bit excessive to me but other than that definitely worth fixing these little guys!

• massey driver, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#24 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 02:12 PM

The parts; idler pulley   AM121967, a short shaft and two nuts, should be here Tuesday. All else looks good. The belt was not worn, and short of charging the battery and putting air in a tire, I'll be ready to roll! That being said, it may turn out to have other issues, but I'll deal with that when I know more. The first issue being the inch of snow we got last night and the -4 temp. this morning, lol.     :(

• olcowhand, massey driver, MH81 and 5 others have said thanks

#25 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 04:35 PM

Is the snow ever going to stop, we are getting some too. Noel

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 06:18 PM

The parts; idler pulley   AM121967, a short shaft and two nuts, should be here Tuesday. All else looks good. The belt was not worn, and short of charging the battery and putting air in a tire, I'll be ready to roll! That being said, it may turn out to have other issues, but I'll deal with that when I know more. The first issue being the inch of snow we got last night and the -4 temp. this morning, lol.     :(

That's why I won't live up there! I like my sunshine!

#27 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 11:32 PM

We had snow/rain/sleet all night, -2 and 8" on the ground when I got up. Aahhhhh,  gotta love spring in Saskatchewan!

• massey driver, KennyP, jpackard56 and 1 other said thanks

#28 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 03:45 PM

YEESSSS!!!! My neighbour got here just before lunch, and Little John is up and running! I decided to treat him to a new battery and changed a back tire that had been losing air, (robbed one off the parts tractor)---- total cost including battery, $150.45, time spent working on it, 2 1/2 hours, a kind and helpful neighbour--- priceless. Thanks for all your moral support and advice guys, the Lone Olde Deere rides again!!! LOL.
  • Bolens 1000, olcowhand, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 04:26 PM

That is simply fantastic!  Shame on those "so called" mechanics that didn't even bother to look at it.   :(

• jpackard56, oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#30 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 04:40 PM

Glad to hear you got it fixed. :thumbs:  Like you say, good neighbors and friends are priceless.

• jpackard56, oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks