30 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 08:13 AM

Ran across a CL ad for a old Bolens, repainted red with a Wisconsin S14D engine. Serial number shows the engine was built in January 1970 so the tractor was probably that year also. Owner said it was a big heavy tractor so my guess without a model # is a 1476 or 1477? It was the owners Father's tractor so a 2 owner unit. Comes with a plow (front blade) has only been used for pushing snow, 1st by his father and later by owner for several older folks that live near him.

It quit running and he put a carb kit in. That didn't help any. As long a fuel is sprayed into the air intake it will run. Tried holding another fuel tank above the carb with direct connection and it still would not stay running. If the carb needs to be replaced, is anything available for that engine that is not cost prohibitive? Another problem is that it is 6 hours away from me. Mostly all interstate. Would want another driver for sure. Don't think I am up to a 12 hours stint behind the wheel any more.

I can buy the tractor for $300 cash. Will be talking to the owner again as he is going to try and read the model and serial numbers off the label, compare notes and see where we are at then. Also will see if there is a possibly mid way meet can be worked out. To good a deal in my opinion to pass up if it is doable.
  • tinbender7, Sawdust and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 08:28 AM

Sounds like a Largeframe.

Most parts are still available for the S14D , they had fuel pumps so maybe that could be an issue not getting fuel.

• tinbender7, Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 10:56 AM

A large frame Bolens is my favorite all round tractor. Download the manuals and read up on it. That is a very long drive. I drove through Iowa 40 years ago and all i remember is miles of corn fields that seemed to go on forever. Ask about other attachments and the manuals. Good Luck, Rick.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 11:02 AM

Before you go you should see if you can get some pictures of it. Would want to see that the frame is good, no major leaks at the eaton12 hydro. Hopefully it runs well when it run, no smoke or noises. Even if it is all there and not running the price is good and lots of parts on it for a spare machine.

• tinbender7 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 11:18 AM

Which direction is the 6 hour drive? If you were coming east on I-80 I might be able to help you out. I live near the intersection of I-80 & I-39.

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 12:25 PM

Sounds like a Largeframe.

Most parts are still available for the S14D , they had fuel pumps so maybe that could be an issue not getting fuel.

We talked about that and from what he told me with holding another fuel supply above the carb and gravity feed down to the carb it would still not keep running.  Or does it require more pressure than gravity to keep the cab supplied with fuel.  I know nothing about that engine or tractor.

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 12:26 PM

A large frame Bolens is my favorite all round tractor. Download the manuals and read up on it. That is a very long drive. I drove through Iowa 40 years ago and all i remember is miles of corn fields that seemed to go on forever. Ask about other attachments and the manuals. Good Luck, Rick.

It was purchased new with the front blade or plow and that is all it was ever used for according to the owner.  No reason not to believe him at this point.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 12:48 PM

Before you go you should see if you can get some pictures of it. Would want to see that the frame is good, no major leaks at the eaton12 hydro. Hopefully it runs well when it run, no smoke or noises. Even if it is all there and not running the price is good and lots of parts on it for a spare machine.

I plan on getting more photos of the tractor.  There were 3 on the listing but could not really see much as two were with the hood up and one from the back.  Had a lot of unrelated stuff piled on & around it.  Been in his garage since it quit winter of 13 - 14.  Not considering it for a parts machine.  If I get it, will be a running working tractor.

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 01:05 PM

Only manuals I found the 1476 or 1477 is parts manuals. The service manual for large frames star a lot higher than the 1400 series.  No owners or operators listed for this tractor that I found anyway.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 01:47 PM

Try this one for everything but the trany:  http://gardentractor...service-manual/. Good
Luck, Rick

#11 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 03:42 PM

Could be any of the large frames with a single in it could be a 1250 with a replacement 14HP.  Photos and I can ID it for you. 

#12 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 07:59 PM

If you need to replace the carb, note that the original carb used on the Wisconsin singles had the mounting studs at an angle (like at 10 & 4 o'clock). There is a replacement set-up that takes that into account, but the conversion is pricey and almost as rare as the OE carb.

• Bolens 1000 and chieffan have said thanks

#13 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 08:25 PM

If you need to replace the carb, note that the original carb used on the Wisconsin singles had the mounting studs at an angle (like at 10 & 4 o'clock). There is a replacement set-up that takes that into account, but the conversion is pricey and almost as rare as the OE carb.

Your telling me Doc got me one of the last new carbs in the warehouse and it really put a dent in the tractor fund for a good while.

• Bolens 1000 and chieffan have said thanks

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 08:54 PM

Try this one for everything but the trany:  http://gardentractor...service-manual/. Good
Luck, Rick

I have that manual and it starts with the 1886 and goes up from there.  How much of that information would apply to a 1476 or 1477?

#15 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 08:59 PM

I have that manual and it starts with the 1886 and goes up from there.  How much of that information would apply to a 1476 or 1477?

single cylinder large frames are a whole different animal from the 1886  the only that that is the same is the steering and the rear ends.