Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 05:25 AM

Picked up a nail in my yard the other day on the 2418 PK  it has 8.3x24 tires ,  it has calcium filled tires , first flat on the rears since I've owned it , must be going on 20 years so that's not too bad . I'm guessing about $40 for the tube , I will mount it and another $40 or more for liquid ballast ( I'll have to take it for that ) . I called one place and they foam fill that size for $170 , I forgot to ask if they need a tube to do that .  I'm thinking getting it foam fill it would be done forever vs a tube getting punctured . I'll be taking the  tractor to my sons to do some work where he just tore an old house trailer down so there's a good chance for a nail .We have our back-hoe front tires here at work foam filled and the all forklift tires too . I don't see any issues with them   Any experience or opinions on a GT  ?

• propane1 said thank you

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 05:45 AM

My brother foam filled the tires on one of his PKs and he seems to really like it.  I can see where there would be a definite advantage but, what I don't know is what happens when your tires just wear out?  I've never had any experience with foam filled tires and that's the one area that would concern me.  If your tires wear out and you want to put new ones on, how do you take the old foam filled tires off?  They had to have thought of this.

• Alc said thank you

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 05:51 AM

Would they have a harder ride ? No flex in the tire to give it better traction ? Is the foam hard or soft ? I never had anything like that. No flats would be nice. Noel

#4 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 05:54 AM

My brother foam filled the tires on one of his PKs and he seems to really like it.  I can see where there would be a definite advantage but, what I don't know is what happens when your tires just wear out?  I've never had any experience with foam filled tires and that's the one area that would concern me.  If your tires wear out and you want to put new ones on, how do you take the old foam filled tires off?  They had to have thought of this.

They cut them off the rim... By the way the foam filling makes excellent boy scout logs.......just dont cook hot dogs or mountain pies on the fire.. I really like the foam filled tires,in my experience it softens the rubber,ride is not bad,and traction is still ok. And they are heavy. Shawn

Edited by tractorgarden, April 16, 2015 - 05:55 AM.

• Alc, David Brown and propane1 have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 06:03 AM

Anyone ever seen and felt this foam. I'm wondering what the consistency is. Foam always brings to mind the spray foam insulation, which is hard and light. This stuff must be heavy and must be consistent in volume or it would never hold the tire on the bead. It does sound like a good alternative for a new tire, but it sounds quite expensive and I'm not sure I would do it on an older tire unless I knew the cost of removing tire and foam when you need new tires. 

• Alc said thank you

#6 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,863 Thanks
  • 2,786 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 07:29 AM

Brian makes an excellent point given the cost of the foam it would be best to have new tires . Cost then becomes prohibitive.

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 07:31 AM

We have foam filled caster tires on our zero turn at church, maybe 4" x 5", little boogers. Never worry about flats, but it appears the foam may have broken down? They are caving in through the middle, makes them look like they are flat.
  • Alc said thank you

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 08:24 AM

Here's a site that tells a little about the foam filled tires

http://www.advanceti...am_Filling.html

• Bruce Dorsi and JDBrian have said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 08:27 AM

My tires are old but not dry rotted , I'm going to price around to see if there are cheaper places that do it , pretty sure I would be paying at least $80 for a new tube and to load it , maybe more ?

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 08:36 AM

The foam filled tires can be retreaded right on the rim but your limited to tread patterns . Though thinking ,,,the tires on my DB walk behind are  retreads,  Wouldn't mind if this tread was available when and if a foam tire needed replacing for tread wear  

Attached Thumbnails

• post-1094-0-69933700-1404389542.jpg
  • post-1094-0-80822900-1404389424_thumb.jpg

#11 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 09:56 AM

Foam filled tires are basically like a solid rubber tire and they do have some cushion.They can't pressurize the tires so if it takes pressure to create a crown,you are not going to have a crown in your tire other than what pressure might come from the weight of the foam.I have had several sets of 18x8.50-8's and this set has more crown than the last set I had did.It does soften up the tread at least shallow tread it does,might not on lugs.Not sure why the owner used two different tires to have foam filled.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2759.JPG

• Alc and TAHOE have said thanks

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 10:37 AM

I asked if they needed to have tubes in them and they said "no "  so the price difference is a little more then double .

#13 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 02:25 PM

Snorkle lift and other man lift equipment uses foam filled tires for stabilizing weight and limited tire flexibility. You really don't want wind to compress the tires on one side of your base platform when you are 80' in the air. Think sail boat and the top of the mast. Most such equipment spends most of its time on level, hard. and flat surfaces.

Most construction equipment that has foam filled tires also has 20 - 36 ply tires with at least 2 of those plies being steel.

Trying to cut the bead wire out of an inside corner on a GT rim to replace a worn out tire is not a job that I would bother with. The rim is going to get damaged anyway and unusable for an air filled tire afterwards, so scrap it with the tire and foam and buy new.

You may want to reconsider putting a tube in a wheel that has been in contact with calcium ballast for several years. The rust on the inside of the rim will make short work of wearing out a tube. I've found that GT rims generally have a life expectancy of 12 - 14 years before rust out when loaded with calcium.

• Alc said thank you

#14 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 03:13 PM

I've been considering foam filled to help preserve the antique tread tires. Could a dry rot cracked tire be filled with foam and then the cracks filled and covered with tire black for a decent looking and functional tire?

#15 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 07:47 PM

I have run several forklifts with filled tires. Kind of like a bubble gum consistancy. For the most part, the ride is stiffer, but there is still some give in the rubber. The most interesting thing is to run a machine with air tires after a machine with filled tires. It just feels so wobbly, like you are ready to tip.

Here is a pic of one like we use. 44 foot reach.

extendo-small.jpg

I have really been thinking about getting a set filled for myself. I was thinking that I would't need to mess with weights anymore for plowing snow.

• Alc said thank you