• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 97fordrunner OFFLINE  

97fordrunner
  • Member No: 69418
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 11:08 AM

I acquired a JD 300 with a blown K341 Kohler which i just rebuilt and had machined to make it better than new (smoothed out the intake & exhaust ports to allow better flow, better valve springs etc.) and got it in the tractor to find out the previous owner BS'd me (which I should have known when he said he didn't tow it ) but now I find the trans axle is shot. I am looking into the option of making it a 4x4 articulated tractor but my question now is:  What are the thoughts on using the engine to strictly drive a bigger hydraulic pump and running 2 or 4 hydraulic motors to run the wheels/axles? I have been looking at Northern Tools website checking out different pumps and trying to decide if 1 pump per wheel or make solid axles and using 2 pumps and a chain drive to the axle so I could fine tune the ground speed for what I am looking for - weather that may be low speed high torque for pulling a plow or a little faster for parades etc.  Am I on a decent train of thought or is this ludicrous?  

I'd like to have the hydraulic output and capacity to run a 3pt hitch, And have front outputs for a blade or other front mounted attachments.  I'm thinking a 16GPM at 3000RPM and 15.8 GPM 2575PSI motors rated for 2125in-lbs (177ft lbs) might be a good start but my biggest question is that enough torque or is that going to stall out under heavy load especially if I was to do a solid axle set up with a chain drive which would multiply the torque.

Thanks guys. I'm kind of a Hydraulic Newb when it comes to building a system 

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 11:49 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#3 97fordrunner OFFLINE  

97fordrunner
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 12:01 PM

Thanks. I was here years ago when I had a '59 Simplicity wonderboy but after I sold that I kind of fell off the face of the GT Talk world

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 02:40 PM

Did you have an account back then? Are you using your same user name?

#5 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 06:05 PM

Welcome back. How would you get it to turn w/o scuffing tires w/ a solid axle?
Mike
  • Bill 76 and Auburn David have said thanks

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,798 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 07:33 PM

:welcometogttalk:

:ditto: Tom

#7 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 01:37 AM

I acquired a JD 300 with a blown K341 Kohler which i just rebuilt and had machined to make it better than new (smoothed out the intake & exhaust ports to allow better flow, better valve springs etc.) and got it in the tractor to find out the previous owner BS'd me (which I should have known when he said he didn't tow it ) but now I find the trans axle is shot. I am looking into the option of making it a 4x4 articulated tractor but my question now is:  What are the thoughts on using the engine to strictly drive a bigger hydraulic pump and running 2 or 4 hydraulic motors to run the wheels/axles? I have been looking at Northern Tools website checking out different pumps and trying to decide if 1 pump per wheel or make solid axles and using 2 pumps and a chain drive to the axle so I could fine tune the ground speed for what I am looking for - weather that may be low speed high torque for pulling a plow or a little faster for parades etc.  Am I on a decent train of thought or is this ludicrous?  

I'd like to have the hydraulic output and capacity to run a 3pt hitch, And have front outputs for a blade or other front mounted attachments.  I'm thinking a 16GPM at 3000RPM and 15.8 GPM 2575PSI motors rated for 2125in-lbs (177ft lbs) might be a good start but my biggest question is that enough torque or is that going to stall out under heavy load especially if I was to do a solid axle set up with a chain drive which would multiply the torque.

Thanks guys. I'm kind of a Hydraulic Newb when it comes to building a system 

Welcome to GTTalk!!

A bigger pump relative to what? Your numbers are correct for 4 individual drive wheels. The original Sundstrand hydro flowed 14.2 gpm at 3600 rpm and could deliver up to about 800 ft-lb of torque with gear reduction for a 9 mph top speed with 23" diameter tires, if you could find enough traction to keep the tires from spinning when you started the load moving.

Try this pump, and 4 of these motors. You will also need 3 of these flow dividers, and at least one of these cushion valves.

Those motors are rated at 2108 in-lb  (176 ft-lb) of torque each at 1840 psi. Here's a hydraulic motor torque calculator.

A hydro pump is a lot easier for fine control than a fixed displacement pump with a control valve and 700 ft-lb of torque is not easy to find traction for with a GT sized machine. I've found more, but it took 1700 lb of rear end ballast. Can we say "overloaded"? There was breakage involved.

• limebuzz and 97fordrunner have said thanks

#8 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,463 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 06:25 AM

I've thought about doing a 2WD using zero turn wheel motors, in fact using the whole setup from one, they often come up for sale when a commercial ztr blows a motor or some such. I've thought about it but wasn't sure I gained anything over a Sunstrand hydro through a rear differential on a front end loader.

#9 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 01:49 PM

You gain maneuverability with an articulated or skid steer over a standard 2wd tractor. Ride comfort suffers somewhat and there is a higher risk of lawn damage, especially with the skid steer. A skid steer, in particular, does not lend itself to old joint and back injuries when climbing in and out.

#10 97fordrunner OFFLINE  

97fordrunner
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 09:24 PM

Did you have an account back then? Are you using your same user name?

I am using the same user name as I had before i'm sure. this is the only name I have ever had in forums.