got the SS16 fixed....sort of

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jazz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,344 Thanks
  • 884 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 04:35 PM

Dropped my tractor off to a fellow as I could not get it running good. So $70.00 parts and labour he had it running great. Compression  down a pound each cylinder, not bad for a old girl. They had been running the tractor up and down  the back lane.. So,,I drive it onto my trailer and bring it home. Run it around for a few minutes..I'm impressed..and put it in high gear and she starts to die....it's starving for fuel..The filter is empty! Oh well,, call buddy up and drop it off,,he refunds me $20 for bringing it by otherwise he said he would have come to my house.  Likely try this again tomorrow..

• MH81 and farmer john have said thanks

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,169 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 05:46 PM

Glad ya got her up and running.Those old diaphragm style fuel pumps need rebuilt every so often.They get pretty stiff after a few dozen years.This ethanol fuel crap isn't good on any of the rubber or rubber coated parts either.It makes some rubber hard and some rubber it turns into Tar.

I had Just replaced the fuel line on my GT a couple weeks ago and it's getting Hard allready.I might have to go buy some sort of Ethanol safe Fuel hose for it.

• farmer john and Jazz have said thanks

#3 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,713 Thanks
  • 863 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 05:12 AM

wow ! and im not talking about the tractor, getting $20 back from an engine guy "hes a keeper !!!!"

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,415 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 09:08 AM

Take pump apart, soak rubber diaphragm in oil for 15 mins wipe off, put back
good to hear it was running.
  • Sawdust said thank you

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,661 Thanks
  • 28,314 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 10:47 AM

You might want to tell him now if you're OK with an electric pump or not.
Sounds like an honest man.

#6 Jazz OFFLINE  

• 1,344 Thanks
  • 884 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 03:56 PM

So he's late to meet me,,he had to hobble home from physio on crutches, the result of a sled accident on the lake this winter ....the tractor likely had air introduced into fuel line when I had installed fuel filter yesterday. However the fact that it would not run after spending money is why I immediately returned the tractor. Mechanic primed it when I had dropped it off yesterday and works fine.  

He had also taken carb off again and made sure all was ok, no debris has slipped in and that fuel pump was still fine.

I gave him his $20 back.

• MH81 and propane1 have said thanks

#7 Jazz OFFLINE  

• 1,344 Thanks
  • 884 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 06:56 PM

Today added some hardware so I can tow this old freight cart around the yard. The cart was headed for scrapyard when it was offered to me. It handy for moving heavy things around shop but now it can do some yard work...

update..about the same time I am bolting the hitch on tractor a Brinly trailer pops up for sale on kijiji,,go figure but I won't buy it ,,I will likely use my utility trailer behind the tractor as the wheels on the cart are solid and will definitely dig in when the ground is soft.. tractor will be handy for moving cart around with engines and other heavy loads....

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by Jazz, April 23, 2015 - 09:57 PM.