Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

any love for kids here? I need some help!

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 11:22 AM

Here is the experience in my mother-in-laws words.attachicon.gifPayless Car Rental ExperienceApril 8(1).docx

For some reason, i Wasn't able to open it on the ipad.
  • accidentalchild said thank you

#17 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • Member No: 68112
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 12:01 PM

April 8, 2015
Re: Payless Car Rental Experience on April 8, 2015 RA. No. PHX-335382
After arriving at PHX Sky Harbor Airport at 12:30 p.m. on April 8, we took the shuttle to the rental facility at 1805 E. Sky Harbor Circle S. My husband and I are traveling with our 7 year old grandson and 5 year old granddaughter, who has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair. I had my reservation information with me from Cheaptickets.com. It listed “a Jeep Grand Cherokee or similar.” The price including taxes and fees was listed as $269.55. This rental agreement was for 5 days, April 8 through the 13th.
When I arrived at the Payless desk, a gentleman named David assisted me. Immediately, he started trying to talk me into purchasing an upgrade for a Chevy Tahoe, telling me it was a much nicer vehicle, a much more expensive car which would be a great deal to trade up. He used high pressure words and body language. I was feeling pressured and told him, “No, I just want the Jeep Cherokee that is listed on my agreement” (which I had in hand). He continued to try to talk me into the larger, more expensive upgrade, and I continued to refuse, stating that I did not want to pay more than I had already agreed to. He appeared exasperated with me and left to talk to another associate. The other associate said something to him with a rather sarcastic looking facial expression, which I observed. Then David came back to me and proceeded to try to convince me that he was going to offer me an incredible deal by offering me a “free” upgrade to the Chevy Tahoe. I said, "I don’t want the Chevy Tahoe; I need a Jeep Cherokee or the same size so I can put the wheel chair in the back." I had my granddaughter in her chair next to me. By this time, he is looking and talking to me in a very condescending tone of voice, saying things like, “Why wouldn’t you want this good deal…a much nicer car valued at $50,000….no, $60,000! I am offering you a great deal. Why would you want a Jeep Cherokee when I am offering you this….” I said, "I just want what the agreement says." He was really wearing me down. I finally said, “Fine, all right” (very exasperated). I could tell by this time that he did not have the car that I wanted. I was tired, with two small grandchildren in tow and another 5 year old grandson living in Phoenix who was expecting me to pick him up from his school at 2:30 p.m.
Then David proceeded to try to sell me an insurance plan. I told him I had coverage and did not need additional coverage. He looked at me like I was incredibly negligent and stupid. He said, “you would be foolish to take this car out without our coverage…do you realize how expensive this car is and how much it would cost if there was a problem….Geico will not cover you on this…call them and find out for yourself.” I did not choose to call Geico and that moment because of time and pressure, but I SHOULD HAVE!!. But, furthermore, he had no business threatening me like that. I am sure he knows that car insurance companies will cover their drivers when they are using a rental car. Furthermore, I have rented many cars and have not opted for insurance in the past since I am always covered. I have an excellent driving record. He continued to pressure me with what a poor choice I would be making by not getting additional coverage. Finally, I asked for prices, just to get the process over with. He quoted me three prices, the last one being $25.00 I said, in an exasperated voice, “Okay, fine…I’ll take the $25.00 one. “ He typed it up and put it in front of me. I saw “$129.95”. I said, “What is this…you said $25.00”. He said, “It’s $25.99 a day.” I said, “take it off…I don’t want it. I want to pay the price I agreed upon.” Then he looked at me again and said I would be foolish to drive off the lot with that “……..expensive, etc. car” without their coverage. He looked at me with this look of disdain and condescension. Then he said, “You might as well not take the car if you are not going to have the insurance….and other similar comments to convince me that I would be stupid and negligent unless I took the coverage.” By this time, it is getting late, I am tired and exasperated and I sign the form.
We proceed to the garage to get the car…this humongous vehicle, much larger than I wanted to operate, and find that is has three rows of seats with no storage for the wheel chair. We try many ways to fit in the chair, folding down seats, etc. And it is not working. I go to the personnel on the lower level and ask it they will remove the back seats. She told me they cannot do that and told me to go upstairs and talk to my agent. I told her I would not talk to David again…I already had had a bad experience with him. She said she couldn’t help me. Meanwhile, my grandchildren are tired and my husband is continuing to try to rearrange our things to fit the wheel chair in. I make a trip back upstairs to the desk and see that there are now 15 people in line with two agents at the desk, one of them being David. I can see that this wait will be a very long time and I do not have that kind of time. In addition, I do not think they had a car to meet my needs.
I went back down and find that my husband has finally figured out a way to get the wheel chair in. Due to time constraint, we go ahead and take off in the Chevy Tahoe.
I called yesterday evening to register my frustration with the agent there. I told him that I did not want the insurance and please remove it. We when arrived at our location today, I called my Geico agent and she said that I absolutely had full coverage for my rental vehicle. In addition, I told the Payless agent on the phone that I was also billed for roadside assistance at $5.49 a day, which I did not agree to and was not told about. There is also a charge for “consolidated facility” at $6.00 a day which I was not told about. He was very flat in his affect and responses. He said you can all the parent company, but they will just tell you to call me again. He told me I could drive back to the facility and get a new contract written up and get a different car. Unfortunately, that would be very inconvenient to make a trip back to the rental facility and revisit this process.
Payless closed our complaint and did not contact us about this.
  • MH81, hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#18 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 12:16 PM

I have filed a complaint with consumer affairs, contacted the ADA coordinator in Arizona. Downloaded the form to submit a complaint to the attorney General. I have also contacted the website the car was rented from, they at least are on the spot as they have already contacted me to get more info. Payless car rental is owned by avis group.

#19 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 01:40 PM

Please keep us informed. This was a terrible thing to do to anyone let alone a person who uses a wheelchair.  Good luck .                                     Roger

• oldedeeres and accidentalchild have said thanks

#20 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 02:31 PM

I have made a bunch of complaints to different agencies. I will fill you in as I hear back from them. The car company has opened another claim.

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 05:13 PM

Boy, I hope David has set a portion of his ill gotten gains aside, I believe he will need a buffer while seeking other employment.
  • hamman, oldedeeres, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#22 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 07:23 PM

Really want to get results. Here is the contact info for the investor relations with avisbudget group.

http://ir.avisbudget...m/contactus.cfm

Nothing says plumiting stock prices like "Girl in wheelchair forced into a compact Car"

• hamman, oldedeeres and accidentalchild have said thanks

#23 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 08:03 PM

Avis budget group does not take complaints for their bad businesses. I am contacting Ada again tomorrow. I filed a complaint with federal trade commission as well as orbits. Orbits gave us a hundred dollar voucher for having a bad experience with one of their rental choices.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#24 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 08:05 PM

I see they have a Face Book account and there are some number of people are listing  complaints on them for various reasons. Not very positive.

#25 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,856 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 08:22 PM

The only thing I can add is to try and get hard copy of any communication you have with them--- email replies instead of telephone, or retained voice mail conversations. Nothing like having their actual words in front of you for evidence. That will avoid any "he said, they said" arguments. It's pretty hard for him to deny an action or statement when you have the proof right to hand.
  • hamman and accidentalchild have said thanks

#26 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 08:26 PM

I emailed the folks at avis from the above link. Thanks for the help everyone.
  • hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 06:17 AM

Good luck with this!

#28 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 07:04 AM

If the rental was paid with a credit card, there may be some help from the credit card company if the charge is disputed within the allowed time.

• MH81 and accidentalchild have said thanks

#29 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 07:06 AM

Yes, good luck with this.  I hate hearing about this kind of thing.  We live in an age where sometimes customer service is the only thing that sets companies apart.  To pull something like this where there is a disabled person involved should be called what it is, company sponsored suicide.  In my area, we have a guy on the TV news that will look into things like this, get to the bottom of the issue and get the responsible parties to make things right.  That would be the kind of person I would be looking for right now.  No more mister nice guy.  I have no doubt that David was doing what he was told to do but if you have the wheelchair in front of you and you know you don't have the vehicle on the agreement, suck it up, come clean and try to figure another way where everyone is satisfied.  It's not rocket science folks!

• MH81, oldedeeres and accidentalchild have said thanks

#30 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 04:46 PM

Payless investigated themselves and found that they were polite and not at all rude and such. Lol. I asked them to send me the video and audio that they say they carefully examined. Its not over yet folks
  • MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks