Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

B&S opposed twin Cylinder engine hp rating?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • Member No: 69512
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 11:52 PM

Just do NOT hook the magneto to anything but a ground circuit to shut it off. I rewired one of these engines and read it as "ignition module" and believed it should get power to it. The big smoke cloud told me I was wrong.

Lol, I'm google magneto to find out, so I don't do it!!!

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,649 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 04:48 AM

What kind of plow have you got?

It's a Brinly 12" 3-Point.

• Hobal said thank you

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,649 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 01:05 PM

I uncovered the 18 HP vertical shaft engine and compared it to you engine pics. I would say this is an 18 HP, but it still could be a 16HP. Without taking the heads off to measure the bore, there is no way I am aware of to tell. This manual would be the closest to it.

#19 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 10:17 PM

Very appreciative effort on the restoration sir. It's nice to see someone take pride in bringing life back into something that so few see the value in. It looks like it'll be ready for the showroom then the dirt in no time. That's a pretty serious tool for the garden. I just youtubed a video to see it action, and what a great design! Is this something you would utilize? Or is it just for the sake of "just because" ?

#20 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 10:23 PM

I uncovered the 18 HP vertical shaft engine and compared it to you engine pics. I would say this is an 18 HP, but it still could be a 16HP. Without taking the heads off to measure the bore, there is no way I am aware of to tell. This manual would be the closest to it.

Thanks again, however I think I uploaded a copy of that to the site last night. If I wanted to up load a pdf library of all the manuals I have to share with everyone is that possible? I have quite a collection on mechanics, hydraulics, electronics, etc. And i'm a bit of a techno- redneck nerd. So I tend to utilize the net for much of what is out there to learn. It's how I found you fine bunch.

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,649 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 05:12 AM

Very appreciative effort on the restoration sir. It's nice to see someone take pride in bringing life back into something that so few see the value in. It looks like it'll be ready for the showroom then the dirt in no time. That's a pretty serious tool for the garden. I just youtubed a video to see it action, and what a great design! Is this something you would utilize? Or is it just for the sake of "just because" ?

I have plowed with both of these. Will do so again given the chance.

Thanks again, however I think I uploaded a copy of that to the site last night. If I wanted to up load a pdf library of all the manuals I have to share with everyone is that possible? I have quite a collection on mechanics, hydraulics, electronics, etc. And i'm a bit of a techno- redneck nerd. So I tend to utilize the net for much of what is out there to learn. It's how I found you fine bunch.

As far as uploading manuals, as long as they are in the appropriate section and not a double to one already uploaded, go for it.

• Hobal said thank you

#22 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 11:52 PM

Going to fire the beast up tomorrow. Have it set up, and ready to rock minus the fins. Scored huge on Craigslist today on 2 @' bore hydraulic rams,  a Danfoss hydraulic motor and a Williams pump in chamber unit all for $350.00 plus a 48" plow blade for $50. Tractors future name is Megatron...

Edited by Hobal, April 18, 2015 - 11:53 PM.

#23 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 04:27 PM

IT LIVES!!!!! Finshed rewiring the ignition, Had a faulty starter solinoid. Replaced it and it fired up like a dream. Now I'm on the hunt for exhaust headers and some tins. Woohoo!!

#24 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 10:39 PM

Manufactured some short 6" straight pipes which makes it sound pretty harleyish. Its awesome. Got the headlights going, which is crazy because they are the originals from 1963. Included a shot of the plow blade i found for $50. Was a damned fine day.

#25 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 10:43 PM

Lol. Still figuring our how to do this from my phone. Plow blade, straight pipes.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150420_185145.jpg
  • IMG_20150420_185057.jpg
  • IMG_20150420_185226.jpg

#26 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 10:32 PM

Welcome to GTTalk! :wave:

• Hobal said thank you

#27 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 06:11 PM

Still having a terrible time with the governor settings, the throttle plate may as well not even exsist as it doesn't affect rpm at all, and if the choke isn't closed it's hair straight back. I think I need to total rebuild on the carb.