Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

B&S opposed twin Cylinder engine hp rating?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • Member No: 69512
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 10:33 PM

Hey everyone Hobal here, new to the site, eager to learn and share with any and all. Thank you Garden tractor talk for having me here.

I picked up 3 riding tractors from a scrap pile, and one was a 1963 Sears and Roebuck, that someone mounted a B&S opposed cylinder engine. Thus far,I haven't found any numbers on it. I've downloaded the engine manual, and I'm at my infancy with this project. What I'm wondering is if anyone can enlighten me on the hp size and lend tips on setting the throttle up. The governor linkage seem to be complete but I'm not sure about the throttle set-up as per duel fuel, low idle and high speed systems. Thanks for you interest everyone.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150413_180110.jpg
  • IMG_20150413_180120.jpg

• Traill95 and larisaPn have said thanks

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 11:02 PM

Welcome to the forum. Where are the engine tins? The numbers were probably stamped in one of them. The engine will overheat and not last long without them. I'm not sure what you mean by dual fuel. There is an idle circuit and a main poser circuit to the carb but they all use the same fuel. The gov should be set with the engine off take the carb to wide open throttle and push the gov lever the same direction as far as it wil go. then make the rod fit between them. there should be a spring that works against the gov arm and controls the sped. Always adjust the main jet first at higher RPM and then adjust the idle mixture last.

#3 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 12:13 AM

Engine tins? Whats you see is whats there. I can manufacture a cover for it. And the twin fuel comment meant separate setting procedures as there is only one fuel inlet. I hooked up the vacuum line and a temporary fuel tank. Fired it up and it took off like a bat out o hell, full rpm and scaree the ever livin out of me. I pulled the fuel line and it took a good 30 seconds for it too die. After i changed my shorts, i figured i'd join the site and ask for some help lol.

#4 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 12:17 AM

I will try your advice tomorrow after work regarding the governor and will get back to you on the results. Just want to get it going at a nice purr, not screaming like a banshee. Thanks for the tip.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 04:38 AM

That looks to be in the 16-18HP range. I have a set of tins for a vertical shaft 18HP as I am converting it to horizontal shaft. I'll study your pics and go look at my other vertical shaft that is still together.

• jms180 and Hobal have said thanks

#6 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 08:13 AM

I have a 16 hp on a sears gt16. I also might have tins that will fit that. I will look in the garage today.

• KennyP and Hobal have said thanks

#7 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 06:16 PM

That looks to be in the 16-18HP range. I have a set of tins for a vertical shaft 18HP as I am converting it to horizontal shaft. I'll study your pics and go look at my other vertical shaft that is still together.

That would be great. I'm just home from work, so going to have a beer, decompress and then wander out back and start figuring out the wiring. May try firing it up if i get the governor and throttle reset.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 06:17 PM

I have a 16 hp on a sears gt16. I also might have tins that will fit that. I will look in the garage today.

Thank you so much. I appreciate the offer.

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Hobal, i want to save you a lot of trouble with the opposed briggs. I have one i fight with and will be exiling it from my kingdom, i would advise the same of yours. Great running engines if you can get them to start argument free...
  • Hobal said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 06:55 PM

Got side tracked on my plow paint job. Took longer than expected. But that does look like an 18HP vertical to me!

• Hobal said thank you

#11 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,197 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 08:08 PM

Welcome to the site. Lots of great people and information, with a few laughs throwen in for good fun. Noel
  • Hobal said thank you

#12 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 10:37 PM

Hobal, i want to save you a lot of trouble with the opposed briggs. I have one i fight with and will be exiling it from my kingdom, i would advise the same of yours. Great running engines if you can get them to start argument free...

After I cleaned the carb, coil and plugs it started up out a hitch, it was stopping it that was the tricky part. it immediately went into "hair-straight-back" rpm range. I got to know the governor linkage, hooked up a new throttle cable, started rewiring the ignition system, and refered to the briggs manual on the flywheel and alternator identification. Found a spec drawing of a typical ignition system yada yada, but it was getting dark so I called it. It'd be nice to get it going considering it was free, but I do have a brand new 10.5hp briggs but its a horizontal shaft, so there'd be some alterations before that'd happen.

#13 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 10:41 PM

Got side tracked on my plow paint job. Took longer than expected. But that does look like an 18HP vertical to me!

It's strange that the size isn't stamped somewhere in plain sight. 

#14 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 10:54 PM

It's strange that the size isn't stamped somewhere in plain sight. 

What kind of plow have you got?

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 10:57 PM

Just do NOT hook the magneto to anything but a ground circuit to shut it off. I rewired one of these engines and read it as "ignition module" and believed it should get power to it. The big smoke cloud told me I was wrong.... Lol
  • propane1 and Hobal have said thanks