1886-01 Wiring

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bolens4life OFFLINE  

• Member No: 67375
  • 73 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 09:17 PM

I'm thinking as part of the rebuild I'd like to put all new wiring throughout. Does anyone know what gauge wiring I should use? I'm sure it varies depending but if anyone has ever done this any help would be great.

#2 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,391 Thanks
  • 701 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 09:36 PM

Well, your 1886 I believe is an 01, correct ? So it's got a 30amp charging system I run #14 awg from the wiring harness of the stator to the dash, and #14 from the ignition switch to the solenoid, and #14 thru the amp meter , #16 will work for the rest,may want to try this place http://www.wiringpro.../wire-and-cable. They have the right insulation for your application and also several colors so you can match the wiring diagram and they sell in various lengths so you don't have to buy a whole spool
  • boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 09:53 PM

My rule is always that if there is any doubt, go bigger.  Usually I run 14 all around the main loads (lights, PTO clutch if equipped, charging circuit, distributor coil) and 16 to anything else. 

I also like using 14 or heavier on all grounds.  That is where you get in trouble on old tractors.

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000, WrenchinOnIt and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,757 Thanks
  • 4,264 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 03:08 AM

Buy one spool of #14 and your good for everything except the battery to ground and the starting circuit.  If your going for 'politically correct' you will need various colors to match the diagram that your following.  WrenchinOnIt has a good suggestion with his link.  Good luck.

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you