• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 I Carey No Cash OFFLINE  

I Carey No Cash
  • Member No: 69506
  • 7 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted April 17, 2015 - 03:21 PM

I just did a fluid and filter change on the rear end. Got the linkage all moving free. Started the engine, pull lever into reverse, mower goes backwards. Push the lever into forward, mower does nothing. Pull lever back to neutral, mower creeps backwards. I had to go back to forward to get it to stop.
I have the seat and fenders off to inspect linkage. Something must be off.

#17 I Carey No Cash OFFLINE  

I Carey No Cash
  • 7 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted April 17, 2015 - 03:24 PM

The first picture is in neutral. The second picture is all the way forward.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#18 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted April 17, 2015 - 06:36 PM

How many times did you move it forward and back?  It may take a few times back and forth to get the fluid through everything.  Took a few times on my 107 the other day when I filled it to move.

#19 I Carey No Cash OFFLINE  

I Carey No Cash
  • 7 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted April 17, 2015 - 07:37 PM

It did get better the more I messed with it but It seems like the linkage needs adjusted.

#20 I Carey No Cash OFFLINE  

I Carey No Cash
  • 7 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted April 17, 2015 - 07:54 PM

I just drove the tractor all over my yard... In reverse. No forward, and evin in neutral it runs in reverse. Something is wrong with the pump or all these linkages and brackets with springs n stuff. Does anyone have suggestion?

#21 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,313 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted April 17, 2015 - 08:46 PM

The linkage hooks to a shaft that moves / tilts a plate above the secondary pump pistons.  as the plate tilts from top to bottom the tractors direction changes.  As the tractor moves with power to the rear I'd bet the linkage is messed up somehow.  If it's air entrapped in the pump engage the pump release and then repeatedly hit the forward and reverse pedals many times.  This should allow the pump to bleed any air out.  Disable the release and try it again.  If its better, do it again until it works as it should..

#22 Cub123 OFFLINE  

Cub123
  • Member No: 27785
  • 94 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 10:40 PM

The first picture is in neutral. The second picture is all the way forward.

You see the two large bolt looking things on the top of the pump? Those are the relief valves, try pulling them out and swapping sides, if you have forwards and no reverse you have a bad relief valve.
  • hamman and I Carey No Cash have said thanks

#23 I Carey No Cash OFFLINE  

I Carey No Cash
  • 7 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 07:05 PM

Thanks to the advice of Cub 123 I found the problem! I switched the relief valves on top and sure enough, I have forward and not reverse! Thanks again for all the advice guys!

Now I need to get that valve fixed. Can those be cleaned/rebuilt or do I need to buy a brand new one? And if I am having one rebuilt should I have both of them done while I'm at it?

#24 Cub123 OFFLINE  

Cub123
  • Member No: 27785
  • 94 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 09:02 PM

Thanks to the advice of Cub 123 I found the problem! I switched the relief valves on top and sure enough, I have forward and not reverse! Thanks again for all the advice guys!
Now I need to get that valve fixed. Can those be cleaned/rebuilt or do I need to buy a brand new one? And if I am having one rebuilt should I have both of them done while I'm at it?

Good to hear that's all it was! A lot of people like this guys rebuild services, might want to give him a ring.

Machtech Direct
605 Furnace Rd.
Conneaut Ohio 44030
Phone: 440-499-5813
Email: mark.machtech@gmail.com
  • diesel nut said thank you

#25 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 09:15 PM

Glad you got it figured out.  I never gave them a thought.

#26 I Carey No Cash OFFLINE  

I Carey No Cash
  • 7 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 01:56 PM

i took both valves back out, degreased them, used the end of a dart to exercise the ball inside them a few times then put them back in. That did the trick! I have forward and reverse now. Here is a video of my 8yr old riding it around the back yard last night. Thanks for all the help guys!

Attached Files

• KennyP and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 02:05 PM

Glad you got it fixed! Those are great tractors!

#28 I Carey No Cash OFFLINE  

I Carey No Cash
  • 7 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 02:07 PM

I have lots of tinkering that I want to do to this tractor now that I know it runs and moves on its own.  I also want to tune this baby up to get as much power and traction out of it.  I was thinking about starting a new topic where we could share some suggestions on small things to do to a cub to gain power and traction without hurting reliability.  I'm not trying to build a competition puller, I just want to get a little more out of my 1250 to aid with pushing snow and pulling a plow.  Thanks again everyone!

• hamman said thank you

#29 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 09:55 AM

I, m still working on the 1650 Hydro I got recently. I was just going to flip this tractor but, .......... it has won a place in my garage due to it's size and versatility.  Gald you got yours running. Theses guys are great around here.         Good luck.                                                                                                      Roger

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1250, hydrostatic, help, transmission, motor mounts, vibrations