#1 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 06:58 PM

Had a good and bad day and need to vent, first of it was a glorious day here in the northeast. hit 70 with brilliant sunshine.  I got a call from Fastenal for my new tiller so I left work early to go get it, how much better can it get nice day and a new toy.  got home and played around for a bit when I hear the wife screaming at the top of her lungs, I look around the barn and here goes two dogs with one of my chickens!!!!  I took of after them but to late.  come to find out the neighbors about two blocks away told their daughter to take care of the dogs so she let them out without closing their gate and off they went.  It was an accident and the dogs aren't mean but it still sucks, and now I have to tell my daughter where our little rooster went.  the wife is still ranting about those dogs, and I cant seem to make her see reason.  we have lost chickens to our own dogs and they have gotten out and gone into his yard, an accident is an accident as long as it doesn't happen again I am ok.

Ok I am done now !!  I do feel better.

Pete

• daytime dave, grnspot110, Alc and 7 others have said thanks

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 07:56 PM

My girlfriend just gave away three roosters yesterday. I could have put one in a Priority mail flat rate box and had it to you in a day, HA! Anyway, we have four more hens and only one rooster now, and it's a bit more quiet during the day. Sorry to hear about the rooster Pete, and things will settle in a few days....dogs will be dogs.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 08:00 PM

Pete, they all do it.  Just learn to say, yes dear.

It's all that works.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 08:28 PM

My girlfriend just gave away three roosters yesterday. I could have put one in a Priority mail flat rate box and had it to you in a day. . .

I'd like to be there when the mail clerk asks " Is there anything hazardous, flammable, perishable,yada, yada".

I look around the barn and here goes two dogs with one of my chickens!!!!  I took of after them but to late. 

Pete

You should quietly explain to the dog owner that it was your prize breeding rooster, which had set you back $100.

• KennyP, superaben, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#5 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 09:08 PM

Brought back a memory,

I was raised on a farm and that is how they sent chicken's to you in the 50's, Yup put em in a box with holes in it so they could get air and mailed them to you thru the post office. We would get approx 100 chickens every spring that way.

• superaben, oldedeeres, Bill 76 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 09:25 PM

it is neat to have live stock but when you loose it like that , is $#@%^&(@)  and at least it was only one . 

Patrick.

• karl said thank you

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 09:56 PM

Brought back a memory,

I was raised on a farm and that is how they sent chicken's to you in the 50's, Yup put em in a box with holes in it so they could get air and mailed them to you thru the post office. We would get approx 100 chickens every spring that way.

OH MY GOSH!

When you brought that up all the tree huggers fainted dead away.

Ben W.

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,847 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 10:44 PM

I like your attitude--- it was an accident. Sad but true. Now, if it happens again soon, that's just not paying attention, and the next dead bird should probably be that special, expensive one. Third time around? I keep a .22 for just such an occasion.
  • KennyP, karl and petrj6 have said thanks

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 04:37 AM

I very politely pointed out that it is legal in ny to kill dogs that chase live stock !!  The guy started to get rude till I said I wouldn't have the opportunity if his dogs stayed in, an accident is an accident one time, if it happens again I will not be as nice about it.   They do still mail chickens, if you buy day olds they will mail them rite to you.  we did that a few years back but the weather was still to cold  and half the birds died.

Pete

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,033 Thanks
  • 770 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 05:51 AM

the dog was running off my property with my chicken,i said OK! 1 chicken! about an hour latter.i could smell,SOMEONES COOKING A CHICKEN!.......WAIT! WHAT?