• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BillyBarcode OFFLINE  

BillyBarcode
  • Member No: 69493
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 02:35 PM

Hi, folks....I'm a newbie.  I was just gifted with an old (2005) John Deere 102 lawn tractor - no mowing deck, but the engine and drive train seem pretty good.  It's a 17.5 horse one lunger, and since I'd like to do more with it than towing a wagon, can anyone point me to some DIY front end loader plans?  Either 12 Vol6t actuator or simple hydraulic would be fine.  I expect to put a hydraulic pump on the old mower deck drive.

Any thoughts?

BarcodeBilly in Alberta, Canada

• propane1 said thank you

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 02:53 PM

2005? Heck, that's nearly new!

• propane1 said thank you

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 03:10 PM

I have no plans, i just studied other loaders and made it as i went along. It's operated by an electric winch on the front of the tractor. It's a trip bucket, pull a handle to dump, lower to ground to reset.

Welcome to GTtalk.  Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 339.jpg
  • Picture 340.jpg
  • Picture 265.jpg
  • Picture 548.jpg
  • Picture 648.jpg
  • Picture 650.jpg

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 03:11 PM

Welcome to GTT. Building an FEL(front end loader) is a big job but can be done. Check in our Manuals Section, I think there are plans in there. Good Luck, Rick

Try :  http://gardentractor...y-gt-fel-plans/   and  http://gardentractor...feloader-plans/

http://gardentractor...6-loader-plans/

Edited by boyscout862, April 13, 2015 - 03:19 PM.

• MH81 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 03:23 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 03:29 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. 

A full blown loader might be a bit much for a 102. A lawn tractor doesn't have the axle or frame strength to safely handle a loader. You might try something like the Johnny bucket or the Superior Scoop. I think JD actually sells something that looks like the Superior Scoop for the smaller tractors. 

• BillyBarcode said thank you

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 03:44 PM

Not sure what a 102 is, but must be light tractor, don't think loader good idea either. I just bought a bucket for a 4 wheeler to put on mine, not done yet, but even that is pretty big and heavy.  Also, as noted 2005 is practically new for most of us here, ha! Welcome to the group, send a picture of tractor, let's see what you have.

#8 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 122 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 04:01 PM

I'm just starting a loader project built something like the Buford loader type.  [can be seen on You Tube].  But since I already have a 2000# winch on the back that I use for implement lifting, I'm going to run the cable under the tractor by using pulleys.  May have to beef up the axle, not sure yet.

#9 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 03:37 AM

Hi, folks....I'm a newbie.  I was just gifted with an old (2005) John Deere 102 lawn tractor - no mowing deck, but the engine and drive train seem pretty good.  It's a 17.5 horse one lunger, and since I'd like to do more with it than towing a wagon, can anyone point me to some DIY front end loader plans?  Either 12 Vol6t actuator or simple hydraulic would be fine.  I expect to put a hydraulic pump on the old mower deck drive.

Any thoughts?

BarcodeBilly in Alberta, Canada

Welcome to GTTalk!!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings though . . . Your tractor weighs 442 lb with the mower, maybe 360 lb without. About the lightest you could make a conventional loader frame is going to be about 100 lb. Add to that, cylinders @ 7 lb each, pump @10 lb, hydraulic lines @ about 20 lb, and about 2 gallons of fluid (12 lb), oh yeah, and a bucket at about 50 lb. Total loader weight approximately 225 lb, balanced on the front axle.

Then you add payload to the bucket, say 2 cu-ft of dirt @ 90 lb/cu-ft. Since that weight is out in front of the front axle, there must be a countering weight behind the axle to keep it balanced, That will be approximately 60% of the payload weight. ALL of this weight (288 lb) will be on the front axle, along with the weight of the loader (225 lb) and the weight of the tractor that it normally carries (another 150+ lb) for a total axle load of around 665 lb. The steering gear on lawn tractors is not noted for being robust.

Two cubic feet is half of the struck capacity of a standard garden wheel barrow.

Would you like me to continue with why this is a bad idea for a tractor/loader that does actual work? It will make a good show piece, but that's about it. A member of another forum did this with a JD115 LT and did an amazing job of fabrication. Then he took it off and instead built a full glass cab with heat, air conditioning, and a CD player that looked like it was straight from the factory.

If you really want a front end loader to do work, start with a garden tractor. It will have a transmission/rear end capable of doing real work without suffering a premature death. 

Edited by TUDOR, April 14, 2015 - 03:45 AM.

• MH81 and tractorgarden have said thanks

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 08:31 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Not to scare you more than the other guys already did, but as stated, you are not starting out with a heavy platform for a loader. That mower was designed to cut grass and pull a yard trailer. At least it's a 5 speed and you don't have the Tuff Torq 40/46 hydro tranny.

I read some reviews, there are guys having to replace front spindles and axles from just cutting grass with no load on the front.

With that said, if you are handy with fab work, you can beef up the frame and axle/spindles.

Here is the homemade self dumping bucket on my old Sears that is lifted with a 12volt 2000# winch from harbor freight. They are on sale right now for $59 I think. My old GT is built decent and a full bucket of dirt puts a load on it.

photobucket-7191-1358177140496.jpg

photobucket-10281-1358177293587.jpg

#11 BillyBarcode OFFLINE  

BillyBarcode
  • Member No: 69493
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 09:26 AM

Thanks, everyone for the info.  I guess I'll keep using it to pull my garden cart, but I may just look for another tractor with on-board hydraulics.  Having examined the fron axle, I can see where this may not be the right tractor to work with.  I also have noticed that the belt drive transmission (looks like a swash-plate type) may not have the oomph to do it either.  I'll keep lurking on the forum and do a little more research.  It's good to have a source for this kind of information.

Edited by BillyBarcode, April 14, 2015 - 09:51 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 10:13 AM

A good starting point is to look for an older tractor that had a loader as a factory option. That way you know the tractor is suitable for a home built unit as well.

#13 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 12:31 AM

Thanks, everyone for the info.  I guess I'll keep using it to pull my garden cart, but I may just look for another tractor with on-board hydraulics. . . . 

I'll keep lurking on the forum and do a little more research.  It's good to have a source for this kind of information.

There are only a few of the newer (expensive) model GT's that have on board hydraulics that will support a loader. None of the older models have enough flow capability. They need auxiliary pumps.

Edited by TUDOR, April 15, 2015 - 12:32 AM.