25 replies to this topic

#16 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 08:23 PM

Depends on many factors, plow it first makes life easier on you and your unit, to strictly hit the unbroken ground is more work for any GT, if this is the process you use , take it in shallow passes, I have a 48" and have used it on my HT23's if I get greedy on depth ,( like this is taking too long so drop it deeper) it will push it , harder the ground bigger the push! Had a Landpride 66" tiller you talk about pulverized soil! It would push a 35hp Kubota hydro but not my workhorse Massey 135 (As long as it was in high multi-power) I traded that Landpride 66" on the same thing but with reverse rotation now it pulls against the tractor instead of pushing it and doesn't matter what the soil condition , just makes 'm grunt and throw the black smoke is all

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, April 14, 2015 - 06:39 PM.

• wilberj, Alc, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks

#17 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 08:24 PM

Gear for personal, hydro for work.

#18 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 09:08 PM

Now, what model numbers fit the ht tractors, and what widths were they and lengths of driveshaft, all I see for widths in manual section is 33"

#19 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,492 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 06:31 AM

One thing I'm sure of, there is no one right answer, kinda like politics and religion and pickup truck brands! :D

• blackjackjakexxix, propane1 and AA Hayes have said thanks

#20 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 08:49 AM

I'm a hydro person but always try and use a gear drive for tilling. I am now using a self powered pull behind tiller with a gear drive tractor and it works great. Used a Cub 125 hydro with a mounted tiller for years and I was having to change the hydro settings all the time. With the gear drive I just set it once at the end of the garden and let it go until the other end. My garden is 175' long.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and propane1 have said thanks

#21 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 06:42 PM

They both are good. I think it is up to the user as to preference. I like to drive the gear tractors for fun and use my hydrostatic for mowing, blowing, plowing and most work. 

• WrenchinOnIt and propane1 have said thanks

#22 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 08:57 PM

One thing I'm sure of, there is no one right answer, kinda like politics and religion and pickup truck brands! :D

I'll take that bait--Dodge!!! LOL
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#23 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 09:35 PM

I'll take that bait--Dodge!!! LOL

Had one Dodge for about 2 months got rid of it.  No power and a gas hog.  Back to the gold old Chevy.  Back on topic,  Bay all means plow your ground first.  If that is not an option rent a tractor and tiller and break new ground first.  Let it lay a while and then use your GT & tiller and you will get along fine.  I plow my garden first with a Gardener and plow.  Sure not fancy but fun and it gets a good job done.  Then the 1053 & tiller and follow it with the BCS tiller for a finish job.  Those GT mounted tiller only do half a job, they only turn half as fast as a good job requires.  My hydro is a Ford and in the shed for the 2nd year.  All 3 GTs are 3 speed with Hi-Lo.  Just my opinion.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#24 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 11:35 AM

Chieffan, have you ever used one of the Sears tillers with the separate engine behind a Suburban? Today I turn my garden over, disc it, hit it with the cultivator and then till it with my walk behind.

i have an Allis tiller but have not put it behind my Simplicity yet. I'm leaning towards selling it and getting a self powered pull behind for my Suburban. I agree with you that it's tine speed that makes a better seed bed and I would think I could get more speed and crawl with the Suburban.

And you're right about Dodges loving gas.
  • AA Hayes said thank you

#25 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 06:44 PM

This scuffler might work hooked up to my tube frame sleeve hitch to brake ground before tilling, yes?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by AA Hayes, April 15, 2015 - 06:45 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#26 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 08:37 PM

I'm using a self powered tiller behind my GT-18. I had my doubts when I came across it but that was unfounded. I really like it. So much so that the cub Cadet with the mounted tiller doesn't get used any more. For some reason it doesn't seem to push the tractor like the mounted tiller did.  I did raise the air filter up though. It would get filthy in an hour the way it came. 

I would suggest an electric or hydraulic lift as one arm lifting is very hard. 

• propane1 said thank you