• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 07:28 AM

I was working on something else today and had the front of my 1979 PK 1618 lifted off the floor.  I decided to check if there was any play in the hubs and found that both front wheels have tons of play, with the right one being the worst!!  If I grab the top and bottom or opposite sides of the wheel and torque it back and forth, there is a ton of movement.

I'm trying to figure out what is involved for repairing this issue.  Is it more than just bearings on these tractors?

Thanks!

Edited by zuren, April 13, 2015 - 07:29 AM.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,760 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 07:33 AM

I'd try re-packing the bearings with proper re-assembly.

• tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 07:58 AM

If your lucky it's just the bearings.  I have seen them worn where the axle goes through vertical spindle because some one didn't tighten the nut on the end of the axle enought.  Then the bushings in the vertical spindle may be worn. Then the keys and key ways at the steering arm on the top of the spindle could be worn. The tierod ends may be loose.  The axle pivot bushings may be worn. Ane the large bolt that holds the axle on may be worn.   None of the fixes are very expensive, just takes time.  Do a search for my handle to find bushing replacement and sources for bushings.

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,786 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 08:22 AM

Download the manual and follow the maintenance instructions. Good Luck, Rick

Try this one    http://gardentractor...service-manual/

Its not the exact one but it should be close to what you have.

Edited by boyscout862, April 13, 2015 - 08:27 AM.

• zuren said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 09:05 AM

Sounds like you need to go in for a closer look to determine where the slack is. Sometimes you get lucky and find that a PO did not know how to tighten an axle nut. It happened to me on the rear end of a JD317. Wheels all wobbly, hub nuts were loose. Problem solved in 10minutes. 

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 04:23 PM

Wheel bearings are same as trailer bearings, most farm stores have. Usually the seals in kits are not correct ones tho. Make sure center of wheel isn't ovalled out, but that would have to be real bad. There are races pushed into hub too, check wear on those, and might wanna replace with new bearings. Most good auto stores should be able to find bearings and races too. Some might have races with them even??  There is a bushing on back side that rides into the seal, which makes seal bigger than the diameter of the axle, don't loose those. OR, hope they are there, not left out! The outer nut is adjustable for clearance and cotter-pinned to hold. Don't overtighten, but enough to turn easy. A rarity is the axles on these are tapered and have nut to bolt into the spindle bottom and they can come loose and flop around in rare cases. Most are in way tight and hard to get out, so not too common to be loose. You may have to re-use your seals in back, unless others have sources.

• zuren said thank you

#7 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 09:30 PM

I'll try to get the tractor back in the air tomorrow and see if it is just a matter of those nuts being loose.  I'm hoping that is all it is but so far my luck with things breaking down and only needing a simple fix has not been good.

Thanks!

#8 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 09:22 AM

I spent some time on the tractor last night.  It looks like my issue was 2 fold.

I removed the dust cap and went after the axle nut on the right side.  I pulled everything apart and cleaned it up.  The threads on the stub axle are worn down on the outer 2/3 of the axle so it looks like the nut slipped and started wearing on things.  So I may need a new stub axle.  The races and the bearings looked okay.

When I put it all back together I still had movement.  I noticed the nut on the back side of the axle moving so I tightened it up.  I still have some slight movement but much better than where I started.  I checked the left side and saw the backside nut moving moving there are well so I was able to eliminate the play in that wheel entirely without removing the axle nut.

Here is a follow-up question:

When I lift the front of the tractor, I notice that the entire spindle assembly drops down by 1/8"+ on both sides.  Is this normal behavior or is that assembly also worn/loose?

Thanks! 

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 10:34 AM

Glad to hear you got the sloppiness under control , ( not sure what you meant about the axle nut slipping )   I have play in both my Jim Dandy and 2418 PK , I think that's normal because the weight of the tractor pushes up from the bottom anyway .  

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 09:08 PM

Weight of tractor sits on those bearings at bottom of spindle area.  At times they wear down and also top of axle metal wears from turning with steer arms there. You CAN take a big machine washer and slip over the spindle top with arm off it and take up space if you wish. Buy a few, might take more than one. OR, you can just leave it and make sure grease oozes out some there and seals it up. Not a big deal. How is the center pivot? Sometimes the Nut inside the frame which is welded on will break loose and wiggle some. There is also bearings or bushings in that center pivot. Make sure you grease there also.

• MNGB said thank you