• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 02:25 PM

Hour meter should not run if the switch is off!

• hamman said thank you

#32 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 02:35 PM

I disconnected the battery cable and the hour meter stopped. After connecting the cable again it was not working. I turned the key and heard a sound like a solenoid trying to open, then the hour meter started again. Turned the key off and the hour meter stayed running. Do I have to pull the dash up to get to the back or does that plate between the bash and motor come off? Looking at the wiring diagram it shows a magnetic switch, Solenoid but I can't see it anywhere. I think it is under the dash.

cubcadetwiringdiagram.PNG

If I miss my guess I think the solenoid is going, or is bad.   The other thing I don't see is the neutral safety switch.                                                                             Roger

Edited by hamman, April 15, 2015 - 02:36 PM.

#33 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 02:38 PM

Going back out to try to get to the underside of the dash.

#34 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 03:00 PM

There's a safety circuit in the pto switch and on the brake pedal.  Both of them can work fine and then the next time you go to start it they can be bad.  If  I have a problem like that on one at work I unhook them and put a jumper wire in the plug to see if that fixes it then replace which ever one is bad.  As for the hour meter running with the key off and out thats normal.  It'll do that for a few minuets until the charge is gone in the meter every time the key is on.  The plate between the backside of the dash and the gas tank comes out with 2 bolts.  The solenoid is on the inside of the dash on the rh side.  The neutral switch is underneath on the frame and there is a tab on the brake pedal that depresses it when you push the pedal down.            Stewart

Edited by diesel nut, April 15, 2015 - 03:05 PM.

• hamman and Sawdust have said thanks

#35 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 04:01 PM

I notice that there is no cooling fan on the shaft ? Is there supposed to be one on this model? I also need two new flex disc. Does any of our site sponsors sell them? Can I make them out of farm welting / belting? Thanks. I'm going back out to look for the switch. I just got done reviewing the wiring diagram.       Roger

• MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#36 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 04:33 PM

Still can't find a switch on the brake / clutch pedal. I found a small switch with no wires attached in the middle of the tractor. It appears to be a switch for a mowerdeck? Here a re a few pictures. Thanks

DSCF9206.JPG

Switch I found.

DSCF9208.JPG

Front flex joint and no fan.

DSCF9207.JPG

Rear flex joint and no fan.

• MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#37 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,322 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 04:41 PM

Wish I could help, out of my league on this one.
  • hamman said thank you

#38 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 05:07 PM

There should be a fan, IH-547749-R1 (about 2/3 down on left). The flex joints are part # 722-3000.

• hamman said thank you

#39 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 08:44 PM

The switch in the first pic is the one for the brake pedal.  The tab on the pedal to activate it is broken off so that's why its unhooked.  I can just see the wires for that switch in the top corner of the pic. Might want to check and make sure there connected together still because if there not it won't start.  

• hamman, KennyP and EricR have said thanks

#40 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 09:29 PM

Ok that makes sense. I will look at it harder tomorrow. I did see some sort of extra wiring when I was looking in there. I figured it was a jumped switch or something like that. Thanks again. I will post more after I get it running again.      

I wasn't sure I was going to keep this but I kind of like how big it is and it would make a good addition to the family. Wife says I might as well keep " Cubby " see she has already named it. I liked " Dusty " for how dirty it is. Going to look for a rear lift for it so it will have a sleeve hitch for my attachments. I see it has a Deere hydro filter on it. Gotta change that.                                                                                                                                                                     Roger

• Sawdust said thank you

#41 powerstroker00 OFFLINE  

powerstroker00

• Member No: 8405
  • 669 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 11:38 PM

that is a very good tractor. my son has a 1250,&1450, and my fnl has the 1650. we one of his from time to time will do exactly what yours is doing. its in the pto switch. when you hold the key in the start position wiggle the pto switch and see what it does. thats what my sons does. you can get a rear lift for it at a swap meet for 100-150, thats what they go for around here and you can find side panels pretty cheap too. those cubs are tanks. 

• hamman and KennyP have said thanks

#42 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 17, 2015 - 02:36 PM

Found a local dealer who has the PTO switch (original), flex disc (2), and the hydro fan in stock. I can't get there until next week but at least it's semi close to home and don't have to pay for shipping if I go pick it up. About $ 60.00 with tax. Comparable with Ebay and shipping and other places. Besides wife says we need to grocery shop over that way next week any way.                                                                                                                                           Roger

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#43 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted April 17, 2015 - 06:50 PM

Glad you found the parts that close!

• hamman said thank you

#44 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 17, 2015 - 07:05 PM

If your wife has already named it you now what that means. I only recommend this for testing. On my MTD 990 the wiring was such a mess I had to jump the entire safety circuit until I did the ole process of elimination. I had to replace two bad switches. My solenoid was bad too...power going in but not coming out to the starter. You do have a nice tractor at a real good price too. I have one more to put back together until I can start on my 1250 so I'm just as excited as you are for you to get Cubby running.

Edited by Sawdust, April 17, 2015 - 07:08 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#45 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 10:14 PM

Killer input from a lot of cubnutz steering you in the right direction for sure. Kenny in here for you on the PN#'s is too cool as well. My first resto (full restoration) was on a 1250 CC. 11 years later it is still looking pretty good. About 2 years ago I added a rear lift w/spring assist. Removed the mowing deck & hanger and have been working mother earth. Mine had the same issues cosmetic & mechanical. I put way too much funds into it but have never regret it but I wish I did a hydraulic lift conversion. I wish you good luck on your project...at least it's a 1650.   

Attached Thumbnails

• 176.jpg

• hamman and KennyP have said thanks