• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 06:45 AM

Alc has an interresting point,
You might want to go over the unit with a critical eye and tell him what all is missing. Also, that you're having to postpone starting it because of isolator, coupler, etc. might ask if he could give you a ballpark range so there isn't any miscommunication.
On the find, :thumbs:
Looks like it has lots of potential
  • Alc and hamman have said thanks

#17 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 07:18 AM

I would not put anything into it until I owned it.  Talk price just the way it is.  If he said " - - - - if it runs when you get it home - - - - -", it is not running and you have it home.  Buy it where is as is.

• hamman and Sawdust have said thanks

#18 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 07:35 AM

Great find. That's the next tractor on my list. I see a lever and a hydraulic cylinder so all you should need are the few parts that Stewart has shown. Good luck with it.

• hamman and diesel nut have said thanks

#19 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 07:42 AM

I agree! Talk price with it the way it is.

• hamman said thank you

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 09:25 AM

I'm guessing that may not be the original engine, or someone worked on it and didn't put all the tin back on it. To compensate and keep the engine from overheating they removed the side covers from the tractor to allow more air to circulate. Just looking at it, with the problems you have found so far, it seems like some major $ will be required to get it in decent shape mechanically, let alone looking good. Maybe the PO has the missing pieces. Since it won't run as is maybe he will gift it to you!

• hamman said thank you

#21 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 02:19 PM

Here's the pics of the baffles and heat shields.         Stewart

20150413_140722.jpg 20150413_140706.jpg 20150413_140659.jpg

• MH81, hamman, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#22 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 06:48 PM

I had a chance to look at it again today after it rained and it warmed up. I checked the oil and put some new gas in the gas tank that was empty. Put another battery in added some Seafom . It tried to start but just wouldn't go. I added some more gas in the plug and it started. Will not run with out the choke out though. I'm hoping after running it with the Seafom it will clean the carb and run better. It is going to take some TLC to get it where I can use it. Cables need to be lubed, I need to see if it needs hydro oil, flex joint needs to be replaced,  and the brakes are shot. Not sure if these brakes are wet or dry.  I'm guessing that it runs the lift off the trans. I need to learn what the controls do and how to get it from creeping while it is running.I looked at the manual but it doesn't say what the operation of the levers and such do. There is a little knob on the dash and it doesn't say what it does. If I could bother you guys about the control I would appreciate it. I pulled the air cleaner and it appears a little dirty but I can see light thru it. I did clean out some bird seed from the cove though. Took a few more pictures.

DSCF9175.JPG

I think this flex joint has seen better days !

DSCF9177.JPG

The mice were hungry and tried to eat the plug wire.

DSCF9180.JPG

DSCF9181.JPG

Not sure what theses knobs and levers do. I'm particularly interested in what the lever on the right side of the tunnel coner is for !

Stewart I think I could make that setup for the engine. I will see if it is listed in the parts breakdown and than I can look at it.     Thanks

Roger

Edited by hamman, April 13, 2015 - 06:48 PM.

• Alc, KennyP and trowel have said thanks

#23 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 08:37 PM

Finally warming up now, nice find !

• hamman said thank you

#24 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 09:26 PM

To check the oil in the hydro there is a square head plug on the back cover about 3/4 of the way up.  To check it just take the plug out and the oil should be level with or just below the bottom of the threads.  The lift does run off the hydro.  The brakes could come either wet or dry.  The dry type is a rotor and caliper setup on the outer ends of the axle and the wet is on the front under the hydro unit.  They don't usually go bad just get out of adjustment.  The controls are: the switch on the dash under the choke lever is for the pto. Pull it towards you and up to engage and down to shut it off.  The big lever in the dash is f/r and the little wing knob in the small slot is to limit the forward ground speed.  I'm not sure why they put it there because I've only ever known of 1 person who used it.  The one with the electrical tape falling off it is the lift.  IIRC you pull back to raise and push to lower.  The little chrome lever on the tunnel cover is for the relive valves in the hydro so it can be pushed.  The valves were mechanical and the was a little flap on the inside that pushed down on them when the lever was pulled.  Don't pull the lever until you take the cover off and spray the plungers on the valves because they rust and get stuck and its a pain to get them to pop back up.  On the baffles and heat shields, the ones on the engine should be the same for all the 16hp ones that the model ends in aqs.  The ones that go over the muffler are shown on the Cub Cadet website under the 1650.  When they were putting them up they made a mistake in the listing and instead of being under the dust assy. like in the old parts book there listed under fuel tank & connections.  xtrememotorworks.com has the muffler ones listed for sale.  Here's the adjustments to take out the creep.  Its right out of the original service manual for these machines and is the same for all the hydro models.     Stewart

20150413_222052.jpg 20150413_222123.jpg

• MH81 and hamman have said thanks

#25 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 10:20 PM

Great ! Thank you for the help. I will get a chance to work on it and fix the flat front tire and some more adjusting and checking on Wednesday. Tomorrow is filled with Dr. appointments for the wife and I. I talked to the guy I got it from today and I'm going to be able to get this for $ 100.00. That is if the rear end and all checks out to be okay. I have to order a flex joint after I check to see if I need two or just one. I have a set of motor mounts on the way. He ordered them for me.  Thanks again. I will post as I get it going and washed up. I left it out in the rain today to wash it off. I will stop and pick up my pressure washer tomorrow on the way home to get it cleaned up better before I go much farther. It does have dry brakes and they don't work so I will be looking at those also.                                 Roger.

• MH81, Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 06:16 AM

Wow, you're not upside down in it, that's for sure.
Nice project
  • hamman said thank you

#27 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 07:12 AM

I had a chance to look at it again today after it rained and it warmed up. I checked the oil and put some new gas in the gas tank that was empty. Put another battery in added some Seafom . It tried to start but just wouldn't go. I added some more gas in the plug and it started. Will not run with out the choke out though. I'm hoping after running it with the Seafom it will clean the carb and run better. It is going to take some TLC to get it where I can use it. Cables need to be lubed, I need to see if it needs hydro oil, flex joint needs to be replaced,  and the brakes are shot. Not sure if these brakes are wet or dry.  I'm guessing that it runs the lift off the trans. I need to learn what the controls do and how to get it from creeping while it is running.I looked at the manual but it doesn't say what the operation of the levers and such do. There is a little knob on the dash and it doesn't say what it does. If I could bother you guys about the control I would appreciate it. I pulled the air cleaner and it appears a little dirty but I can see light thru it. I did clean out some bird seed from the cove though. Took a few more pictures.

attachicon.gifDSCF9175.JPG

I think this flex joint has seen better days !

attachicon.gifDSCF9177.JPG

The mice were hungry and tried to eat the plug wire.

attachicon.gifDSCF9180.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF9181.JPG

Not sure what theses knobs and levers do. I'm particularly interested in what the lever on the right side of the tunnel coner is for !

Stewart I think I could make that setup for the engine. I will see if it is listed in the parts breakdown and than I can look at it.     Thanks

Roger

Here's the Operators Manual for it. The little knob on the dash is speed control. The one on the side releases the hydro so you can push it around. Be careful there as the little valves can stick down and it won't pull itself. Should be explained in the manual. Here is the Service Manual.

• hamman said thank you

#28 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 01:04 PM

I have time today to get out there and work on it a bit. I first aired all the tires and then made sure of the oil and gas. Put the key in depressed the brake and turned the key ......... Nothing, absolutely nothing ! In neutral and PTO switch is off. No other safety switches I can see. Have tried for an hour so far and no luck. I've looked at the service and user manual with no help from them. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions ???   Thanks.                            Roger

• Sawdust said thank you

#29 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 01:15 PM

The switch on the brake may not be working. Or I have had issues with the PTO switch not contacting correctly when 'OFF'. Looking at the wiring diagram, the 'Orange' wire is the 'start'. Can you see if you are getting power in it when you turn the switch to start?

• hamman said thank you

#30 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 01:48 PM

The PTO switch is off and the wire to the PTO is disconnected. I will check the orange wire next. The hour meter is running with the switch off and the key removed, is this normal? Has to be something small ....... Can't believe after sitting all that time and having had it started in the last couple of days that it would go bad by sitting another 24 hours. Thanks.                                                             Roger