• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sunnfun OFFLINE  

Sunnfun

• Member No: 2340
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 09:29 AM

I plan on painting 2 four wheel riders and at least one of my 2 wheel walk behind's as well as several implements. This will be the first time painting with anything other than a spray bomb. Anxious to get started and see the results. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. What results have you guys had , what paint primer combo was used? Still not sure what the best paint and primer combo would be. Anyone have Gravely red or the white wheel paint codes? :confuse:

Edited by Sunnfun, March 19, 2011 - 02:15 PM.
corrected grammer

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 03:52 PM

Sorry I cant help you on the gravely paint codes.
Hopefully someone comes along to help soon....
I'm no painting expert but,

I usually paint my Tractors with rustoleum paint and primer. Its fairly cheap and I have had good results with it. I usually give the parts 2-3 coats.

#3 wobbly OFFLINE  

wobbly

• Member No: 6318
  • 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 08:40 PM

Hi...I found that Tractor Supply Co. offers AC Orange and IH Red in implement paint that is very close to original Gravely red and orange. Valspar has an almond that is a close match for the hood and wheels on the L8 Super Convertible series. I too like Rustoleum especially their primers...rusty metal for castings and pipe and automotive primer for tin. I got some paint codes from another web site but the local paint store could not match them said they were incorrect codings. Any color paint is better than no paint. I am convinced that the number one killer of Gravelys is water. Don't let 'em rust away...they deserve more respect than that! Best to you...wobbly

#4 Handiman OFFLINE  

Handiman

• Member No: 7788
  • 13 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 05:12 PM

The best primer to combat rust that I've used is P M Industries, master Series Coating .The primer is moisture-cured silver color, with minimum prep ,roll brush or spray. Can be used to fix pin holes in gas tanks. Many tractor color kits.

Google: Master Series Coating
Awesome products very good prices!

Ted
  • Alc said thank you

#5 Wendell Rider OFFLINE  

Wendell Rider

• Member No: 7835
  • 7 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 06:39 PM

Check with some local parts/paint stores, some of them have hand held scanners they use to scan your old paint and can mix an EXACT color. As far as the off white used on wheels and hoods Chrysler Corp. Spinnaker White #DT1417 is exactly the same usede by many companies. I usually use Nason paint on everything from cars and trucks to GT's It's a cheaper line from Dupont, works very good, and is fair priced. It's what i used on this tractor. It shows how the off white turns out. It looks "whiter" in the pics than it really is.
P1010002.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010003.jpg
  • P1010001.jpg

#6 Handiman OFFLINE  

Handiman

• Member No: 7788
  • 13 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 09:39 AM

For the off white color is called Arctic White I've found a close match which is Rustoleum -Canvas White found at Home Depot web site. 2 Quarts for about $20 .
I like Dupli-color engine enamel for my Walkbehinds: chevy orange red DE 1607
For around 1965, 67 & up Chevy orange DE 1620. Both are almost close enough for touch-up. The rattle cans spray very good! If you keep your tractor outside top -coat with Master Series clear AG 111.

Ted