#31 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 05:39 PM

I love the sound of those engines. They sound much larger than they are. Your fuel tank turned out nice.

Just how low are you hoping to get that to idle? 

• trowel said thank you

#32 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 06:03 PM

At around 350 rpms, clutch will disengage then, right now it is at 1,100 rpms idle and rev up to 2,500 rpms, that is the best it will do on that spring so some more fiddling is required. When finished it will spin up to 3,800 rpms no load. Should settle at 3,600 spinning the grinder unloaded.

I LOVE the pipe, waited so long for that, even at that rpm it sounds wonderful !

Edited by trowel, April 26, 2015 - 06:04 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#33 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 08:26 PM

I hate to disappoint you but I seriously doubt that you will ever get that clutch down to 350 rpm without the use of a jack shaft.  I certainly can't see it happening while it's attached to the crankshaft. The minimum rpm on most engines is around 500. 

Another option might be replacing the springs in the clutch so it opens sooner. I did this on the clutch in my diesel golf cart and it worked really well.

#34 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 09:14 PM

Chris, Roland's runs at 200 rpms easy and it is a late LT1 like mines but open flywheel, I have the LT2 heavier flywheel so 350 to 400 rpms should be easy on mines.

We are working out the clutch spring engagement speed before changing it, should be the red springs I think, it came off a LV2 governed at 1,800 rpms, idle at 350 rpm clutch disengagement.

Edited by trowel, April 26, 2015 - 09:15 PM.

• Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#35 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 10:58 PM

I'm no expert on these (still enjoy learning) and I didn't look in the manual but that sounds awful low for proper lubrication.

It's still going to be fun to see how this turns out. 

• trowel said thank you

#36 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 05:30 AM

Here is a parts manual if you need it Chris.

Attached File  stategen_lister-petter_lt1-lv1_parts_man.pdf   2.75MB   94 downloads

It does not show all the options offered. Hey, why don't you post your spec # for your Lister. I am interested to see how similar or different it is from the one I bought from you.

Well, to teach you some more, the L range is Lister's mid to high speed design before the merger with Petter, mines is the heavy duty custom built version. RA Lister as we know built and perfected very low speed open flywheel diesel engines, with that in mind the engines were built to lube specs at the low speeds. Unlike a lot of other diesel engines RA Lister implemented a lot of those features with the smaller engines. Lister Petter is known for their long run mid speed 1,800 rpm diesels with options of very high speeds, slight mods are done to the engine at the factory before shipment to clienteles to meet their specs. Without these mods the failure rate would be astronomical. Keep in mind Lister Petter still retain almost 100 years of diesel engine data and has kept up with the ever growing market and fierce competition. It is only as of late did Lister Petter stop offering a lot of the options that made the engine so universal worldwide.

These types of diesels go unrecognized due to horse power brainwashed people believing that hp is the answer to all things mechanical and easily impressed by shiny new things. Time and again people that buy and use Lister engines are shocked and confused. I just laugh, that is the reason I spent so many years hunting down these engines, I know it will outlast just about any diesel and with slight mods as I am currently doing to my LT1, can be applied to just about any application.

Edited by trowel, April 27, 2015 - 05:32 AM.

• Cvans said thank you