• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 fxdb96 OFFLINE  

fxdb96
  • Member No: 56857
  • 118 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 08:00 AM

I would have thought there was already a thread on this... but I couldn't find one.

I have heard countless arguments regarding department store John Deere tractors VS dealer purchased John Deere tractors.... Different part numbers... prices... actual quality etc..

Anyone think they have the real story?  Recently, i have seen department store Deere's being sold with a sticker that says "ASSEMBLED BY XXX JOHN DEERE DEALER".  

• tinbender7, Traill95, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 08:26 AM

kinda like Toyotas and Hondas. Japanese cars some of which are assembled here.  these tractors are bought by the big box, and assembled by the local dealer. does not make them the same machine.

The dealer may offer some of the same models as the big box stores as their entry level low end of the line/ but the dealer does offer a heavier duty line that the big box stores would never touch. I dont know anyone that would go to Lowes and drop $5K+ on a tractor. so they don't handle those models.

• Alc and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 08:39 AM

Local dealers set them up for Lumber yards and places and offer repairs if they wish. In 03' was shopping for cheaper, yet new lawn tractor for mowing and snow removal. Lowes had Deere and Local lawn Equip (Deere) had same tractor. Both had same price, but with financing, the Deere loan was way less than a Lowe's credit card and can still use for other Deere things if wanted. I did get blade too, but was missing parts. Finally got that fixed. The Dealer didn't seem to care much about me after the purchase, so go to my small town dealer now for the parts and tune-up items. I bought the biggest at time L130 with Kohler engine. Paid more for K engine over the Briggs, don't think that was best bet, doesn't seem much heavier after I had it home and kept it up. Almost look the same as Briggs even in castings and such. Still going strong, no matter what others say on the trans-axle, and I push it pretty hard in the snow each year. I have hilly yard to mow, no issues there either.  If I bought another small tractor today would be the Husqvarna with bigger engine, foot control and the arm rests on seat, think 24 hp. Seems like nice rig. My JD is 23 hp and really you don't need all that power for mowing, but would want a twin, not single.

Edited by glgrumpy, April 12, 2015 - 08:40 AM.

• tinbender7, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 09:23 AM

Lots of reading on this subject..

http://www.topix.com...K826G9GU32209N7#!

http://forums.anandt...d.php?t=1847541

And I read this:

This has been a popular article for quite some time. I wanted to update it and respond to some of the comments that have been left about my take on things. More specifically I want to comment about some of the confusion in the comments. It is true that some of the Box Stores sell some of the same exact models that you can find at the John Deere dealers.

At a recent John Deere Media Event I also learned that every John Deere Mower that is sold at a box store is inspected on-site by a John Deere dealer. A local dealer visits the store, inspects the mower, places a sticker on it so you know where the local dealer is located.

What’s also true is the Box Stores only carry entry level, low price point machines so they can compete with the other lower priced brands.

Regardless of how you feel on the topic the main point of the article is this, you get what you pay for, nothing more, nothing less.

• Alc, tinbender7, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#5 fxdb96 OFFLINE  

fxdb96
  • Member No: 56857
  • 118 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 09:28 AM

So take a D105 for example.  You can buy one from the dealer, or you can buy one from a department store.  Are all the components exactly the same?  Do all the parts come from the exact same plants and the exact same assembly lines?  Is the raw material to make the parts the same?

• tinbender7 said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 09:36 AM

I cant answer anything about Different brands sold at lowes but I will say if I was buying a new mower I'd find a local dealer to buy from instead of some big box store.

Buying from a dealer can establish a life long relationship for however long you use a tractor, when the mower needs parts where are you going to go if you buy from Lowes? Many dealers wont deal with people who buy from the big box stores and often put you at the end of the line for parts & repairs to take care of their customers who bought something from them, can you blame them?

Many Shops are now refusing to take in the stuff bought From lowes.

I would much rather give my Business to a local Family shop instead of some Big corporation that gets most of their stuff overseas.....

my 0.02

• Alc, tinbender7, WrenchinOnIt and 3 others have said thanks

#7 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 09:56 AM

I bought a D105 at HD last June . It was set up by the local JD dealer. The warranty is also through the JD dealer. They sell the exact same machine at the same price. I like the D105 because it doesn't have the hydro transaxle in it . It has an automatic variable type. I use this as my lawn mower. Nothing more. I did purchase a bagger and some high lift blades for fall clean up and it works great.
  • Alc, WrenchinOnIt and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,728 Thanks
  • 8,910 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 09:58 AM

So take a D105 for example.  You can buy one from the dealer, or you can buy one from a department store.  Are all the components exactly the same?  Do all the parts come from the exact same plants and the exact same assembly lines?  Is the raw material to make the parts the same?

They are exactly the same. There is only one plant for the D series. Lowes, HD, who ever, does not prep the mower for sale. It is done by the closest JD dealer. The suitcase weights at Lowes? Same as the ones at JD.

Any who tells you otherwise is full of it.
  • Alc said thank you

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,728 Thanks
  • 8,910 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 10:05 AM

On Brian's point, I can tell you my local JD dealer's policy.

This is their 'priority repair list', and is posted in the showroom floor.

1. Machines bought here, and on the yearly service plan.

2. Machines bought here.

3. Machines bought at a Retailer we have a service agreement with.

4. Anybody else.
  • Bolens 1000, WHdbJD and michael.kitko have said thanks

#10 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 10:15 AM

Our local L&G dealer here switched from JD to cub cadet because JD was selling more through the box stores here and they were tired of all the bs
  • Alc said thank you

#11 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 11:01 AM

Something to consider we live in a throw-a-way society today , the big brand box stores to some degree cater to that mindset , I'm sure they'd like to sell you a new tractor several times over in your lifespan. A dealer will do his or her best to fit you into the unit you need and keep it serviced and repaired if required. I agree with Brian 100% on his evaluation of one vs the other. A lot of things have changed in the GT market , good value , prices, brands etc. One thing that usually hasn't changed with the dealer is their commitment to the costumer.

I stated in another post my first new GT was a JD318 bought from a mom & pops dealership ,several years later Deere closed them down and moved the GT lines to our Deere ag dealer. Next time I needed a new GT I boycotted the green. ( just me & IMO. )
  • Bolens 1000, Alc, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#12 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 04:34 PM

I talked to one of the largest JD dealers in the area a while back. He said that the Box Store JDs were nearly the same as the ones they sell. Most components are the same but some crucial ones are outsourced for cheaper pricing. He does not service or honor warranties for Box store JDs because of the JD agreement between dedicated JD dealers. Most Box Store JDs are serviced by smaller mower shops in the area. I checked with a local mower shop (who actually works for Lowes and supplements by doing SER) and he said the same thing.. JM2CW.                                                                                       Roger.

#13 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 07:28 PM

I talked to one of the largest JD dealers in the area a while back. He said that the Box Store JDs were nearly the same as the ones they sell. Most components are the same but some crucial ones are outsourced for cheaper pricing. He does not service or honor warranties for Box store JDs because of the JD agreement between dedicated JD dealers. Most Box Store JDs are serviced by smaller mower shops in the area. I checked with a local mower shop (who actually works for Lowes and supplements by doing SER) and he said the same thing.. JM2CW.                                                                                       Roger.

What crucial parts is he referring to?
  • hamman said thank you

#14 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 08:06 PM

I'm not sure. That was all he told me. I was checking for a friend who wanted to know if the BBS tractors were the same as JD dealer tractors. She bought a BBS JD because it was cheaper.                                                                                                                                                                       Roger.

• pharmer said thank you

#15 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 09:11 AM

I have no direct knowledge on this one way or the other when it comes to Deere models, but non-warranty/supplies might be the difference if there is one. The tractors get crated in and have to have final assembly. Things like batteries, belts, oil, blades that would not be covered by warranty could be stipulated to be supplied by the BBS at a lower margin than "genuine Deere" parts - especially since they have these commodities in stock at the Box Store.

The models sold at the Box store are definitely built to a price point to compete with no-name models, building on the Deere name. But that price point would be of interest to any dealer in the market, whether Box store or Deere dealer. I would think that custom mods to Box store models would drive up the price - exactly the opposite of what you are trying to do.

The "price point" Deeres (no matter where you buy them) are built with compromises to meet a demographic model - nothing wrong with that and doesn't make them a "bad" machine. Just don't expect them to do something they were not made to do or to last as long as more expensive models. A Ford Fiesta and a Porsche 911 are both cars, but you expect different levels of performance, price, quality, durability from them. Same thing....  

This is nothing new... Quite a few people walked away from Deere when they began to go after the light duty residential market many, many years ago instead of making machines just as "durable" as their agricultural stuff - long before the box stores. "These new models will only last for 10 -15 years or so, not like the REAL JOHN DEERE machines!!!"