• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Afbrown OFFLINE  

Afbrown
  • Member No: 68766
  • 3 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 08:31 PM

my 16hp b&s now turns over with a new starter, it has been working fine, new fuel filter and the pump is fine, i have cleaned the carb with some b12, but now it is not getting fuel correctly, if i hold the choke all the way closed then it will idle and i have to keep the choke partly closed all the time when i try to keep it running, it is very tempermental and when it finally does start to get into higher rpm's it just takes off and runs at full throttle for a few seconds (it hits so high rpms its kind of scary) anyone know any solutions or anyone had this happen to them?, i am thinking of taking the heads off and cleaning all of the carbon out also.

#2 Afbrown OFFLINE  

Afbrown
  • Member No: 68766
  • 3 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 08:34 PM

^^ and i have also changed the idle mixture screw every way possible with no luck

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 09:01 PM

I think that you have crap in the fuel system but it may be governor problems too. Go to the manuals section and download the B&S manual for your engine. Read the troubleshooting section . It should help you figure out the problem. There are a few separate troubleshooting manuals too. Good Luck, Rick

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 09:20 PM

Lots of governor springs and have to be in right holes on the systems to work right. Did you take out the main jet before pulling carb apart? Book says to do that, or it will bind and get bent or ruined. Most come out easy with screwdriver with the wings ground off so it is same size all the way to tip, or Carpenter Screw drivers then if you have those. They come out much easier than Walbros and such. Also make sure that big plug below the air cleaner isn't leaking air. I don't even pull them anymore, even tho there is one in kit. If you don't need to pull the choke plate out, no reason to knock that out. I would try cleaning carb again, bet some port isn't open yet. How sloppy is the throttle shaft in housing?  Too much play, it draws air in and acts odd too.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 09:33 PM

You also might clean your points and/or replace the condenser. 

90% of carburetor problems on an old engine are ignition related.

Ben W. 

• Bolens 1000, HDWildBill, WHdbJD and 3 others have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 09:44 AM

When you cleaned the carburetor did you make sure the slow jet and main jet were clear?