I spent the past couple of days working on the engine so that I can get the tractor back together. This engine was in great shape, but the exhaust valve was sloppy in the guide, so I had a valve guide bushing installed. The old rawhide crankshaft seals were leaking, and the oil ring was worn out of spec. A car coil was being used for spark, but I converted the engine back to the original 3 leg armature. I replaced the piston, rings, gaskets, seals, valves, and muffler. The head was slightly warped, so I flattened it out with sandpaper and a piece of thick flat steel. The throttle shaft is still tight on the original carb, and the carb functioned fine. I just have to torque the head bolts down and hook up the governor and carb linkage. Other than that, it's just about ready to install.
I would have finished it today, but I had some other things to do. It's pretty cheap to freshen up these old Briggs engines, and it beats the heck out of smelling burning oil and dealing with oil leaks. Here are a few pics I took along the way.
Edited by classic, April 11, 2015 - 06:29 PM.