16 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 07:50 PM

After winching it on (back wheels wouldn't turn) and I didn't mess with the rear end knob as it was turned all the way in and would not budge, I got the old girl home.  Had to fight wind all the way, all 172 miles of it.  Aired the tires up and they held.  Got the hammer to the control knob and after a few taps it started to turn.  Then could turn it out by hand so at least it wasn't seized.  Rolled right off the trailer then.  Pulled the deck off and found the blades are junk.  Look like they been mowing in a rack quarry.  Steering was seized so sprayed the bottom end of the shaft good.  Then greased up the spindles and wheels.  After a lot of working and oiling the steering freed up real nice.  There is no play in the steering system which really surprised me.  At some point electronic ignition has been put on this motor.  A big plus.  Hood has been repainted a white but that is no problem.  Gas tank has rust in the bottom so it is soaking in penetrant now.  Will put some diesel and a hand full of 5/16" nuts and then do some serious shaking to knock the rust loose and get it washed out.  Engines is free, both control cables are froze.  At some point the idler for the PTO has been changed.  The one on it is for a single belt and the front belt rides on the flange of the pulley.  Needless to say the belts are all in need of replacing.  Oil was full and it looked good and didn't have a sour smell to it.

I don't think it will take much to get this one running. 
Tube Label.JPG     Labels-1.JPG     Elect Ign.JPG

Wrong Idler.JPG

The Wisconsin engine has a serial number of 266362 which make it a 1942 mfg year.  Tractor could be a 43 or 44 ? ?  I am going to recheck that number as things don't add up just right.  The 1050 first came out in 1066.  And this one has a newer style hood than that model year.  The model number on the tractor is 192-01.  Will take a magnifying glass to read the serial number.  Anyone have any ideas on this?

OK, have a corrected serial number from the engine.  4091056 come up mfg's. in January of 1966.  I must have entered the wrong number as I rechecked it and came up with 1966, which is the year of the tractor. finally getting on the right page.

Edited by chieffan, April 13, 2015 - 05:19 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#17 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 07:55 PM

We got everything checked out and had it running today.  Ran pretty good considering it has sat for 6 years.  Pulled the cover off the gear case just to have a look see and it look surprisingly good.  No sign of ground teeth on any of the gears.  Everything appears to be original.  The old tires even hold air, now how lucky is that  ? ?  Put an extra carb on to get it fired.  will put a kit in the original one when it gets here.  Need to check out the wiring yet.  Has an electronic ignition module on it and won't  kill when the key is turned off.  Have a loose wire from some where at the front I need to check out too.  Going to make a nice working  tractor.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you